Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TexasMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Texas
Here is the situation. I have two iPods. The older one is a 10 gig 3G iPod. It came with just a firewire cable and corresponding AC adapter. I just recently got a new 30 gig iPod Photo which came with the now standard USB 2.0 cord and AC adapter.

I am giving my old iPod to a friend but keeping the firewire setup since my old iMac doesn't have USB 2.0. My friend cannot get the old iPod to charge from the wall with the newer USB setup. It will work when connected to the computer to transfer songs.

The question is, is this a faulty AC adapter or is there a compatibility issue with the older iPod and the newer wall plug? I called Apple support and the guy I talked to was really not helpful at all. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
TexasMac said:
Here is the situation. I have two iPods. The older one is a 10 gig 3G iPod. It came with just a firewire cable and corresponding AC adapter. I just recently got a new 30 gig iPod Photo which came with the now standard USB 2.0 cord and AC adapter.

I am giving my old iPod to a friend but keeping the firewire setup since my old iMac doesn't have USB 2.0. My friend cannot get the old iPod to charge from the wall with the newer USB setup. It will work when connected to the computer to transfer songs.

The question is, is this a faulty AC adapter or is there a compatibility issue with the older iPod and the newer wall plug? I called Apple support and the guy I talked to was really not helpful at all. Any clarification would be appreciated.

3G iPods CANNOT charge over USB.

Sorry about that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.