Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shieldcy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
Hello guys,

I am using iPad 6th gen. charger since the first day I bought my iPhone XS.
It was taking around 2 hrs to fully charge (from 10-15% to 100%)

Lately I notice that it takes way too long to fully charge the phone.
3.5 hours... using the same ipad charger (not iphone charger). I tried changing the usb cable but didn’t fix the issue.

it seems like the fast charge is not enabled anymore? Or is it a battery issue? Maybe an issue of the charger? Settings? If anyone had the same issue, can you please let me know what you did to fix it?

thanks

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Might be an issue of the charger too. As long as the battery performance isn’t affected I’m not sure it would be a battery issue.
Does your iPad charging take longer too? I mean it’s always longer than an iPhone but compared to the past?

Reactions: anitak1982

shieldcy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
Why not just put it on the original charger at bed time and not worry about it.

I prefer to fast charge my iPhone. Sometimes I overuse it and need to charge it during afternoon or at night.

Might be an issue of the charger too. As long as the battery performance isn’t affected I’m not sure it would be a battery issue.
Does your iPad charging take longer too? I mean it’s always longer than an iPhone but compared to the past?

I use Macbook’s charger for my iPad. Because it charges it much faster. I will try to charge it with the iPad charger tomorrow and see whether charger is the issue.

I also doubt it is a battery issue. The performance is almost (if not exactly) the same as the first month I bought it. Only issue is the charging time which has increased significantly.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Have you tried to restart the phone already, just to make sure it’s not some random process that got stuck in the OS? Just an idea of course.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

shieldcy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
@ericwn Yes :) I did try but no luck

I will probably reset it at some point if I won’t find any other solution.

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
Are you using a non-OEM cable? I recently get a longer 3rd party cable to use at work and even though I'm using the same charger my phone takes longer to charge.

shieldcy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
I am using Apple’s original cable. And the original iPad charger

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
U can also try the MacBook charger with a usbc to lightning cable. Probably u have since u charge ur ipad that way

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If the charge port is dirty it can create resistance which will reduce the current flowing through the port and slow down charging. Clean it.

Here's a battery charging app (I haven't tried) that claims to be able to show the current flowing into the battery while charging (like we used to be able to see in iOS 9 and before). If it works, then you'll able to verify what's going on.

Ampere Battery Charging Check by CrioSoft LLC
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ampere-battery-charging-check/id1317191964

Reactions: shieldcy

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
It's all only conjecture, unless you put a USB tester on the setup and do some testing. They can be found on AMZ for about ten bucks, or less if you're willing to wait for an order from Aliexpress.

Even then, the internal resistance of a battery increases as it ages, so the time it takes to recharge will lengthen regardless of any other factor.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
No true. The capacity of a battery decreases with age, so it will charge up faster when it's old compared to new but won't hold the charge as long. An old big battery is like a new small battery.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
My 8 Plus also needs full 3.5 hours to charge from 1% to 100%. With the standard 5W charger. I don't think it's much faster with the 10W iPad charger. And it's irrelevant to me anyways because i charge my phone at night with a Wireless Charger that supports nothing else but 5W. But since i charge my phone at night (8 Plus battery gets me through one day no problem) i don't care how long it takes.

GloriousAndrew

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2017
Why not just put it on the original charger at bed time and not worry about it.

This is typically what I do. However, if you are planning on going out at night after a heavy usage day and need a quick top off so your phone doesn't die before your drunk ass can get yourself an uber home...you are boned with no lube. This is why I had to go buy a 45w USB-C Power Delivery chargers.

Reactions: shieldcy

shieldcy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
If the charge port is dirty it can create resistance which will reduce the current flowing through the port and slow down charging. Clean it.

Here's a battery charging app (I haven't tried) that claims to be able to show the current flowing into the battery while charging (like we used to be able to see in iOS 9 and before). If it works, then you'll able to verify what's going on.

Ampere Battery Charging Check by CrioSoft LLC
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ampere-battery-charging-check/id1317191964

I tried to clean the charge port (as much as I could) yesterday. Aaand today my phone was charged in 1h50m (from 15% to 100%).
Finally... I couldn't believe the dust was the issue. Never happened to me before.

Thanks a lot @now i see it .

Reactions: smirking

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
This is typically what I do. However, if you are planning on going out at night after a heavy usage day and need a quick top off so your phone doesn't die before your drunk ass can get yourself an uber home...you are boned with no lube. This is why I had to go buy a 45w USB-C Power Delivery chargers.

Sounds like you have had some "bad experiences" while drinking too much!

anitak1982

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2017
West Central Ohio
I bought a battery charging case. Heavy which is why I have the finger ring but I love how that if my battery runs down I never have to look for a cable or outlet. I just press the button. I plug it up at night and it charges both while I am sleeping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.