Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, but my searches on this board and on google came up with little useful.

Here's the deal ... Family has four iPods, huge library in iTunes. My daughter had hers stolen and at the moment, running out and buying a new nano isn't the best solution and she wants more than a shuffle.

How difficult would it be to have her use a non-Apple mp3 player while the rest of us stick with iPods and iTunes? Bear in mind, she has the largest portion of our music library.

She could burn a lot of CDs then rip to her player but that seems a waste. What are the alternatives? And what works out to have the lowest cost?

mt

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
If it's the price of the nano that's a deterrent, there are the Black Friday sales tomorrow.

MacMall will have the 8GB iPod nano discounted to $134.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
She had a 4 gig nano, I think, that was half full. Budget ... considerably less than a nano.

I keep thinking these $20 mp3 players are the short-term way to go ...

mt

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
If she doesn't want a shuffle, good luck making her enjoy a $30 mp3 player. Can these players seriously get 2gb worth of data in there?

I'd say bite the bullet, give her your ipod and save up for your own.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I don't know the scenario on how your daughter got her iPod stolen. Chances are it could have been prevented. I would say you should get her a shuffle. I would explain that things cost money and we can't always get back what we used to have and that is why it is important to keep tabs on our things.

She'll get an iPod so it won't be like your saying that she is SOL. Then when you have a little more in your budget you could get he another nano.

Or I guess you could check ebay for some used nanos.

Even in adulthood I am leaving valuables laying around and I really should not do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.