Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dailo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Fry's has a 1GB SO-DIMM PC5300, 667MHz DDR2 for 70 buxs after rebate. It's by mushkin, seems like a pretty good deal if you need more memory.

ucscc10

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2006
i seriously <3 fry's. they never bug you (mainly since no one knows anything) and cheap prices.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Cheap memory is great for causing kernel panics in PPC Macs. I'm not sure yet if Intel Macs are as picky about the memory they'll use, just be careful.

gman71882

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Houston, Tx
If they have a return policy thats worth anything then go for it.
Retail stores like that should have a good policy for returns.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
gman71882 said:
If they have a return policy thats worth anything then go for it.
Retail stores like that should have a good policy for returns.
And some sellers charge 15% for non-defective returns for refund.
(a RAM module that works in a PC but not in a Mac is not "defective")
Please check the fine print before you buy.

Here's Fry's policy

http://www.frys.com/
"1. For a refund or exchange, most products may be returned within 30 days of original purchase date. Some other products, such as notebook computers, memory, microprocessors, network-attached storage, CD and DVD recorders, camcorders, digital cameras, air conditioners, and wireless phones may be returned within 15 days of original purchase date. See store management for specific information.
2. Original receipt must accompany any product to be returned / exchanged.
3. Product must be in original box with original accessories, packaging, manuals, and registration card in undamaged, clean, and brand- new condition.
4. Products returned within policy with the UPC Code missing from the box may only be accepted back as an exchange for the exact same item.
5. Product that is returned incomplete, damaged, or has been used -- if accepted -- will require a deduction. This deduction is final. Subsequent return of missing items will not reverse the deduction."

dailo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
I've bought memory from fry's a few times, and usually have had no problems returning it for a full refund. Just tell them you don't want it anymore and they wont' hassle you.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
All I can say is that many times you get what you pay for. If you get lucky and have no probelms, good for you. But if you're not being a cheap-ass in buying your computer, since you're buying a Mac in the first place, why cheap out on something as important as RAM? Don't just arbitrarily look for the best deal. Is saving $30 worth kernel panics and system problems?

Make sure the dealer explicitly guarantees Mac-compatibility and has a 100% lifetime guarantee. As CanadaRAM says, read the fine print. :cool:

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
Umm.. I bought a Patriot 2GB Kit (2x1GB) PC2-5300 for my MBP from Fry's for $159. ...It works so wonderfully. Actually better than the 1gb stick that I (and many other MR members) bought from MacMall for $50 for my 12" PB. Although I know that sometimes with cheap ram it could be a 50/50 chance. :p Hooray for deals.

boxmetogo

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2004
has anyone tried those mushkin's? they' aren't bad rams? im just curious if it's compatible with the mac books proS? anyone?

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
"Windows is more stable than the Macs, intel or not"

some dumass rep lurking around in an attempt to pursuade us to buy a system. stupid frys reps. too damn pro-windoze

ntrsfrml

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2006
Vancouver, Canada
Mushkin is a very good company..and a holds a Huge reputation in Windows/Linux system builder community.. They are like #1(Other than OCZ, Corsair and Gskill) in O/Cing memory and have the best return policy w/ lifetime warranty.

generik said:
Mushkin is pretty decent, but they don't make their own modules (same as with Crucial really)

Thats True, Muskin "hand picks" memory chips from big manufacturer like Samsung and Micron.. and way better than buying OEM or generic or Value name brand.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
The thing about fry's that worries me is I've heard stories about how they repackage returned goods and try to sell them off as new. Can anyone validate this claim?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.