"Cheap, safe drug kills most cancers"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by OttawaGuy, Jan 19, 2007.

1. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2006

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I hope this pans out... it would be stunning if it did.
  3. furious macrumors 65816

Aug 7, 2006
  4. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2005
    2,000 light years from home
    ....It also has no patent, meaning it could be manufactured for a fraction of the cost of newly developed drugs...

If this is true- then it won't bring profit to Pfizer and other drug co.s - making it likely they will stimey it's development. Sad.
  5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    It's quite sad that pharmaceutical companies are more loyal to their shareholders than to curing diseases and helping people.

Actually, I hate it when any company care more about the shareholders than the customers.
  6. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
    I smell government funding in the UK...w00t!
  7. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Health care should be govt funded.

Capitalism for everything is not going to work, just as communism didn't pan out ultimately. It is in human nature man!
  8. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
    Yeah...but the NHS is a disaster...

My idea is that everyone going into hospital should pay £1...that way:
    1.It wouldn't be a burden on the people
    2.People (especially hypocondriacs) would not come in just wasting tax money
  9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    The drug companies will fight to make sure this drug never gets out.

There are conspiracy theories that try to give "evidence" of miracle drugs, much like this one, that was reported about, then bought by a pharmaceutical company, and never heard of again.

I don't know if I believe that this happens as often as some conspiracy-geeks want us to believe, but I have read of one specific new effective drug that a pharmaceutical company "bought", and then said they don't have it and don't even know what people are talking abotu, but I forgot the name of the drug and what it did. I read about it a long time ago.

Sick people are "repeat customers."
  10. calculus Guest

Dec 12, 2005
    I imagine that it would cost the NHS far more than that just to collect it.
  11. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Which is why we are seeing more and more drugs that treat the symptoms but not the disease.

It is good to die painless! Just that you will die bankrupt as well!
  12. davidjearly macrumors 68020

Sep 21, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The NHS is NOT a disaster. Far from it. Speaking as someone who actually is involved in it that is. It is one of the best healthcare systems in the world considering it is still free at the point of use.

Thats not to say it doesn't have inefficiencies though but then again, what service doesn't? Especially when the current political powers in Britain are behind it.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    The NHS isn't a disaster unless you're used to seeing better healthcare, and better or comparable healthcare is only available in.....what........a handful of countries in the world for free?
  14. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Dec 10, 2002
  15. atszyman macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2003
    The Dallas 'burbs

Sounds like it's the old "feed a rat an amount of a substance that would be nearly impossible for a human to ingest" study. Watch the rat react badly to a dosage that no human would ever be subjected to/able to ingest and issue a warning. I would wager that water would be hazardous to a rat's health if they administered a dose thousands of times higher than those to which humans are usually exposed.

This will be an interesting study to watch go through animal testing and hopefully on to human testing (shouldn't be too bad since DCA is already used for treatment of some metabolic disorders).
  16. SodaPopMonster macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2005
    Houston, TX
    "You're cured of cancer!"

Patient Cheers

"Though, I must admit, the drug we have cured you with has given you cancer again. But for a one week period you're free, man!"

Patient dies of heart attack
  17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    The purpose of a corporation is to make money for the shareholders. When corporations don't put shareholders first, they find it awfully hard to attract investors. You don't see many of those kinds of companies because A) they never get enough capital to start up, and B) if they did, the board of directors would be ousted for breach of fiduciary duty.
  18. unfaded macrumors 6502

Dec 12, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    A bigger disaster is the wealthiest nation in the world not giving health care to 47 MILLION people.
  19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    This sounds like just the latest "magic bullet" claim. The realities tend to be far more complicated.
  20. topgunn macrumors 65816

Nov 5, 2004
    Sad but true.
  21. TuckBodi macrumors 6502

Jan 10, 2007
    I'm a diabetic and years ago I remember asking the nurse practitioner at my doctor's office when and if they'll find a cure for diabetes. She tried to answer that some day they will hopefully and then proceeded to tell me about a patient they had years previously at their office. It was a young girl who was just diagnosed and one of the devastated parents told this person about how their grandfather, according to family legend, had found a cure for diabetes back in the 50's and sold the cure to a pharmaceutical company expecting a big release and cures for all those with this ailment. After the sale, nothing...the company (apparently with ties to insulin or something else related) never released anything and the grandfather soon passed away. Irony is years later his great granddaughter comes down with the same disease he supposedly had found a cure for.

True story? Who knows but watch the movie The Insider and then also read the following article about the Harvard researcher (Dr. Denise Faustman) who was able to reverse diabetes in mice yet could initially get no backing (pharmaceutical or government) until Lee Iacocca stepped in and draw your own conclusions.

Note: Human clinical trials are expected to begin end of 2007 I believe.

22. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Jan 30, 2004
    having a drink at Milliways
    it would be a good thing if some of you dismiss that conspiracy hat and start using your brains.

the work has been published on cancer cell, one of the most prestigious journals in bio-science, and it will get a lot of attention.
    if the claims are true, be sure they will be followed by the scientific and medical community.
    i can guarantee that at my workplace there will be tests run within weeks.
    believe it or not there are tons of MDs that would be quite keen on curing cancer (not to mention securing the nobel prize) and they are NOT in the pockets of 'scary-big-pharma'.
    time will tell if this is an important drug, meanwhile please get real.
  23. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2005
    Queens, NYC
    You tell 'em.

If this works, you bet that the pills will be churned out as fast as they can make them.

Come one, folks. If Bayer can still make $$$ off of aspirin, we don't need to worry about the availability of this drug.
  24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Oct 9, 2006
    This would be great if it is true. I have personal reasons to love to see this happen. My girl friend lives with cancer and there is not much they can do about it right now but keep an eye on it since there is no areas large enough to remove by surgery or by current treatments that would end up killer her before it killed the cancer. Now she has a long life ahead of her but she has to deal with always getting checkup making sure it does not grow.

This would mean she could live her life with out having to deal with that mess.

Cancer is one of those areas that a ton of research is being poured into to treat. MD are to much involved in it. Cancer doctor would love never to have to see there patiances again after they are discharged because when they come back that means that the cancer is back.
  25. sushi Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    If this is true, it will be fantastic.

Especially for those of us who have experienced cancer first hand either personally, a loved one or a close friend. Cancer sucks!