Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmoin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Hi guys. I've been using a N656U scanner (canon) to scan pics for ebay and misc. stuff, and I've been using the trial version of Photoshop 7, which has been working perfectly, however my 30 day trial runs out today. Is there any cheaper utility that can import TWAIN and save to jpg? I'd really rather not pay $250 for the academic version of photoshop (I'm a college student). Thanks much, Andrew

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
If you need scanner software, I recommend Hamrick's VueScan (http://hamrick.com/). It'll work with just about any scanner.

If you don't need the scanner software, just spring the $99 for Photoshop Elements 2.0.

BTW, I paid the $600 for Photoshop and now wish I had gotten Elements instead. I could have spend the $500 on getting a PowerBook instead of an iBook.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
If you need scanner software, I recommend Hamrick's VueScan (http://hamrick.com/). It'll work with just about any scanner.

If you don't need the scanner software, just spring the $99 for Photoshop Elements 2.0.

Just to add another point regarding Photoshop Elements.

Included in my package of Elements was a coupon for a $30 rebate if you were upgrading from Elements 1.0 or a competing application. Since I bought a Canon LiDE30 scanner which came with ArcSoft Photo Studio something, I was eligible for the rebate. That brought my price down from $80 to $50 for Elements 2.0.

You mentioned that you had a Canon Scanner, so I'm assuming that it came with some software. Most likely, it's listed on Adobe's competing products list. All I needed to do was photocopy the actual CD and 4 weeks later I got a check.

BTW, Elements 2 should be able to access the scanner directly, just like Photoshop. Just check with Canon to see if they have a plug-in for your scanner (actually, it should be the same exact plug-in that you probably have for your Photoshop demo).

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
True dat, ftaok. I only recommended VueScan because there are a lot of scanners out there without OSX drivers (such as my Umax). :mad: Same with a lot of other scanners. OSX has pretty bad scanner support overall, and I don't know why. It's pretty much the only hole in OSX for me right now. At least there's VueScan.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
True dat, ftaok. I only recommended VueScan because there are a lot of scanners out there without OSX drivers (such as my Umax). :mad: Same with a lot of other scanners. OSX has pretty bad scanner support overall, and I don't know why. It's pretty much the only hole in OSX for me right now. At least there's VueScan.
I hear you on VueScan. In fact, VueScan is so powerful, that it will work with scanners that aren't designed for MacOS 9 or X. I borrowed my sister's HP scanner which didn't come with any Mac software or drivers. HP has never made drivers for it, yet VueScan can get it working with OS X.

To me, that's pretty damned good.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I use Adobe PhotoDeluxe 2.0 for my digital camera/scanning on OS 9 and now that I am switching to OS X, I'm also in the market for a software program to upgrade to. Would Elements be comparable to PhotoDeluxe?

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I think Photoshop Elements is much more powerful than PhotoDeluxe, but with less "happy clappy" options like making birthday cards and stuff (at least that's my impression).

As for VueScan--I generally prefer it to packaged scanner software, so when I do get a scanner that supports OSX, I'll probably still use VueScan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.