Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
That is freakin awesome! I like the life savings caption... :) That is a really clean job.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by icetraxxg5
Thats pretty cool. :D
Does it sound better then those iPod FM transmitters so you can play your iPod on the cars stereo?
the main reason i didn't go with a FM transmitter is because the frequency range isn't as good as a real audio cable. that and the fact it might need an unobstructed shot to the antenna (?)

i've never tried one before so i couldn't tell you. it sounds better than my old tape adapter but not as good as a real CD. there is less noise and more frequency range coming from a CD, but it's hardly noticeable.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by evoluzione
nicely done.

so the Alpine unit has a pair of rca's at the back as an auxilliary input? very lucky :)
thanks. i shopped around for one that would do aux in. basically some of the major manufacturers have an adapter cable that will go into the cd changer port. most don't offer this option till you get past 300, this unit was only 180. who needs XM when you have an iPod?

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-0nbXgJwg2cK/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=01&i=500KCM122B&o=&a=1

i wouldve taken more photos of the whole procedure, but i don't have a digital camera. :(

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Johnny knoxville from Jackass has the same thing in his car. Well done!

unc32

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
I still think the iTrip is the way to go. You can put it any car and use it in your home too. Plus, no actual work.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
But the work is the fun of it, really. :)

Nice work man, I used to do all sorts of these kinds of stereo mods back in high school. You're getting me thinking again, and the wife isn't going to care for that... :)

Regards,
Gus

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
AWESOME!!!!!!!
If I had a car I'd prolly get the fm transmitter...but I'd WANT to do this....Maybe I would do it now after seeing you did. :p

Awesome! Great job!

I got an addition for you to try out....

Ok, ready for this....it's the only way to make it cooler...

Get the iPod remote attached to the steering wheel, so you can control it without taking your hands off the wheel or even looking....

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by G5orbust
you could make a killing doing this stuff to people's cars.
that's a nice thought. :) i installed the speakers, head unit, GM kit and iPod accessories over Spring Break a few weeks back. the only problem i had is when i grounded the circuit wrong and it blew a trace on the adapter because i hadn't put a fuse in the circuit yet. i had to use a conductive pen to complete the trace again.

oh yeah, and the iCable was too short (7ft!) so i had to extend it some more.

but this is definitely the most ambitious project ive done in a while, especially since ive never really installed a stereo, taken up carpeting or soldered b4. i guess it puts hair on ur chest or something...;)

thanks for all the replies so far

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.