Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
I was just wondering if there is a way to check WiFi signal strength? No not just the strength out of the 3 bars :p, but similar to that of checking cellular strength (-87 for example etc.) in Field Test Mode.

snverhallen

Joe23

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
How about this? Not quite what you're looking for, but seems better than relying on the default wifi icon!

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
How about this? Not quite what you're looking for, but seems better than relying on the default wifi icon!

iTunes is giving me the "iTunes Store is not available" right now error. Could you give me the name of the app so I can search it up manually?

Thanks for the suggestion.

snverhallen

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
It links to WiFinder. From the developer's page...

WiFinder is a one-screen application that scans all of the local WiFi networks. It determines if they're locked (reporting which lock type to you) or if they're open. If they're open, it attempts to associate with them and open up Google's homepage. If it gets a result, it checks to see if it was actually from Google or not - many "open" networks actually require authentication, and redirect you to a login page. If it is from the right server, then the status icon is updated with a green check mark. Otherwise, you'll get either a red X (for redirected) or red - (for locked).

The screenshot shows that it displays signal strength as a number for each WiFi source found.

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007

The screenshot shows that it displays signal strength as a number for each WiFi source found.

Thanks!

snverhallen

EDIT: Darn, it's a paid app. I'm not really willing to pay for that. So I guess no free alternatives?

amro

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
From the Phone Keypad type: *3001#12345#* and then press the "Call" button

This will show signal strength in dB.

On average, mine shows the following:

1-2 bars = -103 to -99
3-5 bars = -93 to -77

Seems fairly consistent anywhere I go.

Ah cr@p.....stupid me....Wasn't paying attention....I'll go back to sleep....

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
From the Phone Keypad type: *3001#12345#* and then press the "Call" button

This will show signal strength in dB.

On average, mine shows the following:

1-2 bars = -103 to -99
3-5 bars = -93 to -77

Seems fairly consistent anywhere I go.

WiFi signal strength is what he's looking for, not cellular signal strength.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
EDIT: Darn, it's a paid app. I'm not really willing to pay for that. So I guess no free alternatives?

That is a very powerful app, you do realize applications take time to develop. And an application that does what WiFinder does probably took at least 50 hours. Considering professional developers make at least $50/hr, that App should net him about $2500 in the long run.

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
That is a very powerful app, you do realize applications take time to develop. And an application that does what WiFinder does probably took at least 50 hours. Considering professional developers make at least $50/hr, that App should net him about $2500 in the long run.

I do realize, it's just at the moment I'm not allowed to download $ apps, which is why I was asking for a free alternative.

snverhallen

ktappe

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2003
Wilmington, DE

The app either is not compatible with iOS4 or it's junk, as it just freezes up at "Updating" upon every launch.

It's very hard to believe that there is not a good WiFi sniffer app for iPhone, but my searches continue to come up empty. Perhaps this is a market for you developers? :confused:

Zaphod42

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2011
I can't believe that there are no apps for measuring WiFi Strength on iPad or iPhone. Some rooms in my house have bad Wifi reception, and I need an accurate measuring device to try to improve it.

I just downloaded Netstumbler to use on my Laptop to to measure WiFi strength. I will see how it works tonight.

DeBaryFL

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
I can't believe that there are no apps for measuring WiFi Strength on iPad or iPhone. Some rooms in my house have bad Wifi reception, and I need an accurate measuring device to try to improve it.

I just downloaded Netstumbler to use on my Laptop to to measure WiFi strength. I will see how it works tonight.

inSSIDer is a great free program that I use on my 64-bit Windows 7 laptops. From their web site: "Our award-winning, open-source Wi-Fi scanner software, inSSIDer, is an alternative to network scanners like NetStumbler. One big difference: inSSIDer actually works with Windows Vista, Windows 7, and 64-bit PCs."

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
I have a previously jailbroken ipod touch. I restored my iphone data from it. It had numeric wifi. Now my phone does, as well as numeric battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.