Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rexboyce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Birmingham, MI
I have Apple TV hooked up and I love it. I have tons of both kids videos and R rated movies. These movies are not from iTunes but have been ripped from the DVD. I am afraid that my 8 year old, who knows how to work the AppleTV, may end up clicking on the wrong movie when the babysitter is over and end up with an R rated flick. Is there a way for the entire library to be on itunes but somehow password protect only some of the content? Or, any other possible solutions would be great. Thanks!

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I have Apple TV hooked up and I love it. I have tons of both kids videos and R rated movies. These movies are not from iTunes but have been ripped from the DVD. I am afraid that my 8 year old, who knows how to work the AppleTV, may end up clicking on the wrong movie when the babysitter is over and end up with an R rated flick. Is there a way for the entire library to be on itunes but somehow password protect only some of the content? Or, any other possible solutions would be great. Thanks!

I do not believe this to be an easy solution. You may be best to utilize the chip protection on the TV, and password protect it; thus protecting eyes from the whole enchilada.

Of course, when they want to watch something- the babysitter can supervise the content.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Use "iDentify" or "MetaX" to tag all the content with the appropriate ratings and then use the built in parental controls in the Apple TV.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
there is parental control in itunes, it works very well (as long as the movies you add are tagged right)

Just set it up to require a password for r rated movies.

(imahawki beat me to it, what he said)

rodman109110

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
If your on a mac I don't think metaX has been updated in a long time. Subler is a great alternative.

If your on windows metax should work fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.