Chinese Counterfeit Lightning Cables Confiscated in Alaska

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 4, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

More than $600,000 worth of counterfeit Lighting cables were seized by U.S. Customs and Border Protection at a routine customs search in Anchorage, Alaska (via 9to5Mac). The cables had arrived from China via plane and were designed to look like Apple's $19 Lightning to USB cables, complete with fake Apple logos and UL icons.

[​IMG]
    Apple products are frequently counterfeited, and even Apple's retail stores are sometimes knocked off.

Article Link: Chinese Counterfeit Lightning Cables Confiscated in Alaska

2. macrumors member

Wow, THIS IS huge! Big win for the CBP

3. macrumors 68010

Does this mean my $5 OEM cable from eBay ain't coming anymore?

4. macrumors 6502

As long as it wasn't falsely labeled as an OEM cable you should be fine!

5. macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Good.

It amazes me that there are companies in China that have factories dedicated to counterfeiting. Use those resources to make some legit products!

6. Yvan256, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013

macrumors 601

Yvan256

600 000$ / 19$ = 31 578 cables.

7. macrumors regular

Agree, just make a good $5 cable and leave the apple logo off!

8. macrumors member

The worse thing is they probably don't work right. There are £4 iPhone adaptors but all they do is charge the phone, nothing else works.

9. macrumors regular

well thats because the parts inside the real cables cost way more than £4

...half of them existing just so the cable has to be expensive!

10. macrumors 65816

SockRolid

China is the counterfeit capital of the world. The counterfeiting industry accounts for 8% of their GDP (as of 2010.)

11. macrumors member

It's just a cable. They didn't even need to counterfeit it.

12. macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I wonder what customs is going to do with 30 000 cables :p

13. macrumors 65816

The fact these guys can beat apple for price by so much proves apple deserve to be counterfeited

GITSUM!

14. macrumors member

I bought a counterfeit cable in the Dominican Republic for about $US25 dollars. The first sign I had something was wrong was when I plugged it in, there was a bit of resistance. Then when i pulled it out, the sheath over the connector came out. Nevertheless I was able to charge my phone and when I got back to the US, the original cable worked fine.

15. macrumors 68020

Another genius who doesn't understand the costs associated with R&D and developing IP.

I'd bet you think you're underpaid, also...

16. macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

Apple, I'm fine paying $20 for a cable but could you please offer them in a longer size?

17. macrumors 6502

1st shift makes legitimate products. 2nd shift makes the counterfeit products.
    :)

18. macrumors 65816

OldSchoolMacGuy

These counterfeits aren't exact copies. They generally are much cheaper quality and fall apart quickly. Many of them will fit in either way but only charge with the adaptor pointed in 1 way unlike the real Apple cables.

Also, I have yet to see a single 3rd party cable (other than Apple authorized ones) that will do video. All of them so far will only charge and do sync (many only charge and don't even sync).

On top of that it's obvious that you don't understand the costs of development and other things that go into creating a product.

19. macrumors 65816

OldSchoolMacGuy

It wasn't OEM if it was only $5. The auction likely claimed OEM-like. If it was true OEM, it'd be coming from Apple and these counterfeits wouldn't worry you (and you wouldn't get them for $5 unless the seller was an idiot).

20. macrumors 6502a

mw360

In common parlance I think OEM means fake :(

21. macrumors 603

blueroom

Destroy them. Simple as that.

22. macrumors 68040

I bought one from Play.com - £2.99. Looks identical to the official one, even the build quality was the same. Works fine for both syncing and charging. Doesnt have any noticable slowdowns, etc. It did state that it cant do audio but thats not something I'd ever use it for anyway.

I refuse to pay £15 for a cable that could have just as easily been a microusb cable.

23. macrumors newbie

China makes a power play on Lamps Plus?

More than $600,000 worth of counterfeit Lighting cables were seized by U.S. Customs and Border Protection at a routine customs search in Anchorage, Alaska (via 9to5Mac).

Am I the only one that noticed that the story said Lighting not Lightning. So, is this story really about cheap Ikea furniture?

:)

24. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

Is even that made in China nowadays? LOL

Yes, and sadly the confiscation of one shipment won't stop or discourage these factories in any way, shape or form. If anything , they'll learn from this, and get better at counterfeiting for the inevitable 'next' shipment.

25. macduke, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013

macrumors 601

macduke

I once made the mistake of buying cheap 3” 30-pin cables. They quickly fell apart. I'm actually surprised they didn't first catch fire. I wish I could get a good 3” Lightning cable to keep in my MacBook bag. Anyone know of some?