Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
I need something for my single, housebound, 80 year old grandma. Any idea? Something not too expensive, like around $15~ish.

If I can get it at Amazon, big plus (I've got Prime!)

NO BOOKS- reading makes her dizzy!

Thanks!

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Both of my grandmas have always appreciated custom calendars created using family pictures. In the past, I've always used Shutterfly.com, but this year I'll probably try the iPhoto calendars. At $19.99, it's a little above your price range, but you'll get big props from grandma for this one.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
I need something for my single, housebound, 80 year old grandma. Any idea? Something not too expensive, like around $15~ish.

I'm in the same boat. She's one of the tougher people to buy for. Especially because she returns (or trys to) just about anything I get her, even Gift Cards. Sometimes I get luckly with a nice sweater or slippers. And this might sound stupid but what about a basket of toiletries or similar items. It'll save her a trip to the drug store. My grandmother likes when I do silly things like that.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Both of my grandmas have always appreciated custom calendars created using family pictures. In the past, I've always used Shutterfly.com, but this year I'll probably try the iPhoto calendars. At $19.99, it's a little above your price range, but you'll get big props from grandma for this one.

That's actually a great idea! I think I'll do the same. Thanks!

skoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
You don't want my answer.

She actually has a large bottle of KY under her sink- it's not for sexual purposes, but as some sort of arthritic rub- HOW- I do not want to know

Would grandma like a year of my spotting pictures and the girls I went to Flor-e-duh with? I think not (sadly)

Take her out to Starbucks. (Bring it to her?)

a) No starbucks near her
b) She can't have coffee

Try buying her a album/cassette/cd of her favorite singer/group.

She doesn't have/believe in CD players or tapes

Lube™

EDIT: Damn. Beaten.

Get your own catch-phrase, alright? I don't know who you are trying to impress, but you REALLY p*** me off sometimes.

God.

rose red

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2005
nw england
Buy her a dvd. Find a year that was special to her, her 21st birthday or when she got married. Then choose a film that was one of the oscar winners that year, try to see if one of them has her favourite actor or actress in it.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
I think the family calendar idea is a good one. It's too late for some to do perhaps, but it's very practical and personable.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
For the record:

SHE HAS NO TECHNOLOGY!

NO Computer, NO CD player, NO DVD player, nothing fancy-pants like that.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I second the idea of a photo album.

It would also be nice (and free) to make a commitment to spend more time with her. I bet she'd love to just see you more and talk with you about whatever crosses your mind. Grandparents don't live forever, and before you know it, they've passed on. I wish I'd spent more time with mine before they were gone.

Coolnat2004

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005

Thanks for this idea. I read this thread last week and I made a calendar for my grandma, complete with everyone's birthday and large numbers. I ordered it on Saturday and I had it in my hands on Wednesday. They really are high quality and they come in a neat little box. She's going to love it :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.