Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I just noticed that Chrome scrolling performance is really really slow on my iMac 5K in 10.11. On my MacBook it is not completely smooth, but isn't as slow. Chrome was fine in Yosemite and Safari is smoother than ever on El Capitan. Anyone else has this issue?

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Chrome has gone to ****.

Its pretty sad now that I have to use Safari now (its actually not that bad). But ever since like two weeks ago where I redownloaded Chrome and it downloaded a bunch of random icons for me, I haven't been using it since.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Chrome has gone to ****.

Its pretty sad now that I have to use Safari now (its actually not that bad). But ever since like two weeks ago where I redownloaded Chrome and it downloaded a bunch of random icons for me, I haven't been using it since.

Yeah, I rarely use Chrome, but I have it for Flash (I refuse to install it on Safari) and for some extensions, like, when I want to use Image Search. I set up a nice system with the great PopClip where I just select the address in Safari and choose the Chrome icon to open the same website in Chrome, when I need it.

But now, the performance is really bad. I guess Google will fix it when El Capitan ships.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Check the Canary build, they've starting to optimize Chrome to match Safari's efficiency.

Scrolling seems fine for me.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Not only is scrolling pretty poor, all <video> elements are slow and laggy too. It's unfortunate, but I've had to switch back to Safari (not cool when you're a developer).

Yes, exactly the same here. It's better on my MacBook Pro, but on the iMac 5K, it is really slow and laggy. Same on the Canary build.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
I just noticed that Chrome scrolling performance is really really slow on my iMac 5K in 10.11. On my MacBook it is not completely smooth, but isn't as slow. Chrome was fine in Yosemite and Safari is smoother than ever on El Capitan. Anyone else has this issue?

Have you read the release notes regarding Metal optimisation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.