Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alansky

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2007
Marin County, CA
Garbage in, garbage out

YouTube videos work great on Wi-Fi, but can display in a lower quality when you’re not at a hotspot and are using AT&T’s EDGE network.

My experience is that most YouTube videos look like crap even over the fastest broadband connection. Why would they need to be any lower in quality than they already are?

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
My Pearl is Faster on Edge Now Too

I could not run speedtest due to lack of Flash, but my pearl is defintely faster loading sites tonight.

I am going to sell this pearl on ebay after I make an attempt to get my iPhone tomorrow.

I was going to wait, but while watching the Apple 20 minute video, I saw an image of the Blessed Mother/Virgin Mary appear in one frame and that just iced the deal.

:D

Vodafone will sell of their stake in Verizon Wireless and buy up T-Mobile, I'm sure they want their own GSM network in the US, rather than 45% ownership of a CDMA one that their customers can't even use when they come over here.

Sorry to go off topic, but your post reminded me of the story a few years ago when the Vodafone executive team visited the Verizon offices. For some of the top Vodafone brass it was their first trip.

The biggest headline of the meeting was that the Vodafone top brass was pissed because their personal phones were roaming on Cingular, or AT&T (can't remember).

Sorry, but I still chuckle when it comes to mind.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
I think theoretically, it's 4-something, but NO devices out there support enough EDGE timeslots to go above 230whatever. And ATT certainly wouldn't allow such a device to use that many timeslots since it would decrease capacity

Trust me on this... AT&T's EDGE network has/will have a maximum throughput of 384kbps.

I have a very accurate source of that info, and it isn't AT&T.

T-Mobile's not up for sale. They've never been up for sale.

They probably couldn't meet Apple's reqs, because they told Apple to piss off when Apple wanted complete control over everything.

For Apple I think it has more to do with the fact that TMobile is not really a national carrier. Sure you can roam all over the US, but they don't have local numbers nationwide.

For example. you can't start service (or port your number) with TMobile in the state of North Carolina, they don't have local numbers. You can roam there with no additional charges on one of their partners, just not buy service.

I think there are some other glaring holes as well, I just can't remember the states.

edit: On a side note, with all the roaming agreements that the national and region providers have signed with each other, it's really tough to know just how big the network is for your service provider.

One of the best ways to tell the actual size of the network (that they actually own) for your provider is to look at their pre-paid service map. Most companies' prepaid service only works on their "owned" network and charge for roaming on others. So when you look at the prepaid map, the service area is where they actually own the network.

I work for a national carrier now, but I used to work for Alltel and it's real telling when you look at their pre-paid map (not the Simple Freedom phone at Wal-Mart though).

2nd edit: I appologize for getting so far off topic. Mods, please delete if this post is too far OT.

cyberone

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
44-55 kbps ... but am in bangkok, thailand, we still have a long way to go ...

and they pretend here to have edge ...

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
For Apple I think it has more to do with the fact that TMobile is not really a national carrier. Sure you can roam all over the US, but they don't have local numbers nationwide.

For example. you can't start service (or port your number) with TMobile in the state of North Carolina, they don't have local numbers. You can roam there with no additional charges on one of their partners, just not buy service.

I think there are some other glaring holes as well, I just can't remember the states.

many states has maybe one T-mobile store and many dont have any at all. apple couldn't chose them or most of the US would have no access to it. they basicaly had 2 choices, cingular and verizon .. verizon said no, cingular said yes. sprint would be choice #3, and they are far behind at&t and verizon when it comes to subscribers.

JellyFish

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2007
many states has maybe one T-mobile store and many dont have any at all. apple couldn't chose them or most of the US would have no access to it. they basicaly had 2 choices, cingular and verizon .. verizon said no, cingular said yes. sprint would be choice #3, and they are far behind at&t and verizon when it comes to subscribers.

I have Verizon and they are about to get a rude awakening when I get my iphone. I will enjoy giving them the finger as I leave their service. :D

bigdawgm

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Man mine is a lot faster.

I am in Kansas City, Mo and have tested it 3 times with my phone.

Lowest was 369 kbs
Highest was 462 kbs
The other one was 426 kbs

This will be awesome!!!

I agree, but I feel that Sprint could have handled it as well on the logistics side. Sprint is in all the RadioShack stores, plus Sprint has a joint venture with RadioShack called 'Kiosk Operations Inc.' (The kiosks with the yellow halo ring around the top of the kiosk - yep those are RadioShack employees) that have about 300 kiosks in Major US Shopping Malls, in addition to distribution at BestBuy.

However, If AT&T can live up to the service commitment then I think Apple has made a great choice.

RnSK

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2004
Ok...so you guys DO KNOW the difference..

...between GPRS and EDGE, right?

I mean, I've been using EDGE for a looooong time and its always been at least 20Kbytes/sec...

I think a lot of the problem may have been crap phones (I do not buy crap phones) that didn't hop right or could use at least four slots/slices because you guys are acting like this is all...new :)

I've been saying all along that EDGE is a LOT faster than dialup, and on ATT, slightly less than than half their WCDMA 3G speed...but noooo...

:)

Keep in mind tho that webpages are multiple round trips, and there is latency...so don't let yer speedtests get you *too* happy; you'll want to surf around on the web for a more accurate feel for what its going to be like.

Most of where I go I get to in about 15-22seconds on average

RnSK

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2004
Yeah man...

I thought they were about normal, but I hadn't done EDGE speed tests in a while.

This is in Hoffman Estates, IL btw.

I dunno wha people have been "on" and "using"...but from what it sounds like, folks were on GPRS on an "EDGE" phone.

Or maybe the more spendy phones have better radios in them because getting under 100kbits down on EDGE is just not normal anywhere i've used it in over a couple of years.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
And 56 kbit/s is like 7 kilobytes/s.

Four times faster than basic dial-up is four times faster regardless of the unit of measure.

Exactly. I think this is a good point cause everyone says it's worst than dial-up, but it sounds to be much faster.

ryanw

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
...between GPRS and EDGE, right?

I mean, I've been using EDGE for a looooong time and its always been at least 20Kbytes/sec...

I think a lot of the problem may have been crap phones (I do not buy crap phones) that didn't hop right or could use at least four slots/slices because you guys are acting like this is all...new :)

I've been saying all along that EDGE is a LOT faster than dialup, and on ATT, slightly less than than half their WCDMA 3G speed...but noooo...

:)

Keep in mind tho that webpages are multiple round trips, and there is latency...so don't let yer speedtests get you *too* happy; you'll want to surf around on the web for a more accurate feel for what its going to be like.

Most of where I go I get to in about 15-22seconds on average

This is a good point. People are thinking that all of a sudden AT&T fixed everything. EDGE is EDGE. It's not a cable modem nor WiFi ..... The iPhone is going to enable you to be able to use the REAL internet in places where you weren't using it before. Not a bastardised version of a browser, not some crappy email ... the real stuff. BUT you're still going to want to use your cable modem and desktop whenever you can because the internet will be SLOW on your iPhone.

Accept the fact that it'll be slow, get your iphone, use it in places you weren't using the internet before, enjoy.

McCarron

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2006
I dunno wha people have been "on" and "using"...but from what it sounds like, folks were on GPRS on an "EDGE" phone.

Or maybe the more spendy phones have better radios in them because getting under 100kbits down on EDGE is just not normal anywhere i've used it in over a couple of years.

Yeah, also got to keep in mind they may have lower class devices. The lower the class #, the less pipes it has for transfer.

iPhone is class 10, so class 10 devices are the best to compare for data rates. Not to mention a good processor is also needed, because that alone allows the phone to transfer data that much faster. So many aspects goes into the speed of all wireless phones.

We'll get closer to the max of 384, but I doubt we'll see more than 280 anytime soon.

onawire

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Anyone able to test Atlanta?

The iPhone will be my first EDGE phone, so I'm curious about Atlanta. Anyone able to check and post results?

Splooshie

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
just tested twice in Miami looks like we're still waiting on the upgrade love. =(

67.7 kilobits per second
Communications 67.7 kilobits per second
Storage 8.3 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 2.1 minutes
Subjective rating Slow

Info
Date & time Friday, June 29, 12:00AM*
Test type IDT4 Free
Connection type Wireless: EDGE
Region Florida
Data size 1024KB
IP address 32.132.81.99
Provider

Apple!Fre@k

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2006
JUST RAN THE NUMBERS:

This is good news, albeit it's still stupidly slow unless you're on WiFi. I ran the numbers and EDGE compared to the Internet connection I have here at home from Bright House Networks is 280X slower. The good news is that it's still about 4X faster than Dial-Up. And while I was at it I figured out that my Internet connection at home is 950X faster than the Dial-Up we were using several years ago. :)

KniVideo

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2007
I did my first mobile speed test about a week ago. Max then was about 170kbit/s.

Tonight in SW FL on Palm Treo 680:
207 kbit/sec
1.495s latency
40.977s download time for 1MB data

EDGE is very inconsistent.. the try before was 99kbit/s, also 166kbit/s.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I'm sorry but this looks to me like mass hysteria.

Mind you, Mass Hysteria usually afflicts schoolgirls.

A fascinating phenomenon often attributed to the Salem Witch trials.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.