Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4PPC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2015
I'm still new to Mac's, but the most common problem encountered, is what ever software or game you want to use on a Mac it has to be classic carbon or Intel.

you have to find a version that is ethier Classic PPC Intel or a Universal Binary.

Can someone who programs for the Mac make a program that can take an app and convert it to what ever Platform for the Mac Carbon Classic or Intel.

Plus why don't they make Universal Binary's as a standard for the Mac. Windows used to have standards many years ago it doesn't now but is between 16bit, 32bit, 64bit and not different platforms. AMD works the same a Intel, and etc.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think you may be a little confused.

A Universal Binary for an app is PowerPC/Intel. Carbon is OS9 while Cocoa is OS X.

I've never heard of Classic PPC Intel as there's no such thing.

Now when Snow Leopard was released, Apple included Rosetta which is essentially a behind the scenes app translator that allows PowerPC only apps to run on an Intel Mac. Apple killed Rosetta with Lion.

Universal builds of apps were ubiquitous between 2006 and 2008. Around 2009 is when dev support started dropping for PowerPC Macs (very few devs make anything for OS9 anymore). A Universal build now requires devoting resources to what is essentially a dead platform (although we all know it isn't). The return is not worth the investment so devs now only develop for Intel Macs.

Reactions: Altemose

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Carbon *can* be a hybrid application that can run in both 9 and X (up to 10.6). AppleWorks is a good example here, as it's "carbonized" to run under 9 and X in its last few iterations. Your Mileage May Vary when it comes to Carbon apps.

Cocoa is pure 100% OS X and will not run under OS 9. Universal Binaries are OS X only also.

Reactions: eyoungren

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Carbon *can* be a hybrid application that can run in both 9 and X (up to 10.6). AppleWorks is a good example here, as it's "carbonized" to run under 9 and X in its last few iterations. Your Mileage May Vary when it comes to Carbon apps.

Cocoa is pure 100% OS X and will not run under OS 9. Universal Binaries are OS X only also.

"Carbonized" apps were pretty common around the turn of the century, and a bunch of well known ones were. Photoshop 7 comes immediately to mine. One I use all the time(but I doubt many folks on here use) is Chemdraw 2002.

Funny enough, Microsoft went a different path with Office rather than "Carbonizing" it. Instead, they released Office 2001 for OS 9 and Office X for OS X within a year or so of each other. From what I've seen, the two versions pretty much have feature parity.

Reactions: MysticCow

G4PPC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2015
I think you may be a little confused.

A Universal Binary for an app is PowerPC/Intel. Carbon is OS9 while Cocoa is OS X.

I've never heard of Classic PPC Intel as there's no such thing.

Now when Snow Leopard was released, Apple included Rosetta which is essentially a behind the scenes app translator that allows PowerPC only apps to run on an Intel Mac. Apple killed Rosetta with Lion.

Universal builds of apps were ubiquitous between 2006 and 2008. Around 2009 is when dev support started dropping for PowerPC Macs (very few devs make anything for OS9 anymore). A Universal build now requires devoting resources to what is essentially a dead platform (although we all know it isn't). The return is not worth the investment so devs now only develop for Intel Macs.

Thank you, yes I was confused. I thought carbon was for the Power PC, and classic was just classic. I have a lot to learn still. That is the fun of a Mac though on a Windows PC once you seen one you seen them all, but not so much for Mac.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you, yes I was confused. I thought carbon was for the Power PC, and classic was just classic. I have a lot to learn still. That is the fun of a Mac though on a Windows PC once you seen one you seen them all, but not so much for Mac.
Well, to be fair, Apple has gone through at least two transitions. If you weren't around to notice it's confusing.

There was the transition from 68K to PowerPC. We had "fat" builds then. Installers that could install either the 68k or the PowerPC (fat) version of an app. That was in the mid-90s. Then the PowerPC to Intel transition in 2006.

Windows/PC of course has been one long update of the same OS since 1995 (hey I used DOS the other day at work :D).

I only know about this, not because I am a Mac fan (I did not convert until 2003) but because I've always seemed to be in close proximity to a Mac owned by someone (my mom, or graphic design school, or my job).

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Well, to be fair, Apple has gone through at least two transitions. If you weren't around to notice it's confusing.

There was the transition from 68K to PowerPC. We had "fat" builds then. Installers that could install either the 68k or the PowerPC (fat) version of an app. That was in the mid-90s. Then the PowerPC to Intel transition in 2006.

I mentioned in another thread that the DA G4 I bought the other day is running Panther and has Illustrator 5 installed. It works fine. I also have the disks(yes, floppy disks) and box for AI 5. It specifies a 68020 and 5mb of RAM. As per Wikipedia, it was released in 1993, which makes me think it was probably NOT a fat binary.

So, I suppose that it's running on the 68K emulator in the OS 9 virtual machine(classic mode) in OS X. Talk about a mess :)

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah. Wow, that's just kind of mind-blowing there.

Conincidentelly, Illy 5 is the first illustrator app I learned on in design school. Still have my book for it in the garage.

It was shortly after that I learned that I was a Freehand fan though. Freehand was doing color templates when Illy 5 could only handle grayscale.

G4PPC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2015

Windows/PC of course has been one long update of the same OS since 1995 (hey I used DOS the other day at work :D).

I only know about this, not because I am a Mac fan (I did not convert until 2003) but because I've always seemed to be in close proximity to a Mac owned by someone (my mom, or graphic design school, or my job).

Yep, I missed all of that. The last time I used a Mac was long before it was even called Classic. When I first took computer classes in grade school we used what was called at the time the Apple Macintosh and later was renamed Macintosh 128k but I only knew them as Apple Macintosh. later in years I had owned a C64 and my friend had a Apple II which was nice at the time because for a lot software and games you just flipped the disk over for running on an Apple. I always wanted to own a Apple Macintosh but the price of them was just outrageous at that time in the late 80s, I loved the machine I used in School.

What keep me from owning a Mac until now was the price, finally after 17 years from Dos 3 to Windows 7. the last Apple computer I ever Used was a Apple IIe with Apple Dos 3.3 then I got a Tandy 1000tl/2 with Dos 3 and Deskmate 3 and made my transition over to the PC. lol

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
C64 and C128 owner here. Used to run a BBS in high school off those Commodores.

My first PC was in 1990 and I was all PC until 2003. But a Mac has always been around somewhere. My mom used to teach computer science so we had lots of computers of different types in and out of the house over the years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.