Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ouisa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2004
Recently, a friend tried to be helpful and install a CD burner on my G4, which has OS panther. Unfortunatly, this did something to my classic start-up, and now 9 won't open, which most of my teaching materials are in (all my Adobe's in 6.52 updaye).
Anway, when it begins to start up, it stallas at the "M" in Mac, and just chimes until I hit stop, and then "The versin of Quicktime installed in the MAC OS9 system folder used by classic is not reccomended. For best results, install Quicktime 6.0.3 or later for MAC OS9, visit. . "etc.
Of course, when I went to install it, though, it has to go and try to open classic, thus throwig into a loop.
When I tried starting up from the OS9 disk, it said that "true blue environment" could not be found. Any ideas?
Thank you,
Ouisa :confused:

macfreek57

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
remove quicktime…

open "System Preferences" and click on "Classic" to go to that frame. at the top of that frame, click "Advanced". in the pull-down menu under "Start-Up and Other Options" choose "Turn Off Extensions" and click the "Start Classic" button. with no extensions running, you should be able to install quicktime.

if that doesn't work, try going to your extensions folder ("System Folder>Extensions") and drag any files with the word "Quicktime" in them to the Disabled Extensions folder ("System Folder>Disabled Extensions"). that should keep it from telling you that you have the wrong version. then try starting up and then installing a new version of quicktime. you may need to do the same thing in your "System Folder>Control Panels" folder. you can delete the files you moved if you successfully install quicktime.

Ouisa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2004
Oh Dear!!!

That didn't work. The control panel "quicktime settings" cannnot be used on this machine come up when I Do System preferences/classic/advancedturn off extensions.
The second didn't work either?
Any other ideas? I'm REALLY worried now!!! :eek:

Ouisa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2004
No, it just gets stuck looking for the burner my friend tried to install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.