Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2005
I have some old concert footage on dvd that I need to rip the super cleanest way possible. I want to do some color correction/saturation and reencode back to dvd. I tried DVDxDVPro and some of the faster motion clips starts to artifact badly. Any program recommendations?

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Can't FCP5 handle straight MPEG2? I would just try doing that as a conversion to DV and then back to MPEG2 is likely to introduce quality degradation.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Cinematize
I use this to rip scenes from DVD's into QT format and then put on compilation DVD's. It works very well but it's not a free app.

jtt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2005
Should I keep the rip mpeg2 instead of dv? All I want to do is color correction.

thanks

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm working on a project right now creating a DVD from camcorder DVDs that a client gave me. It's really an awful way to shoot if you're planning to do any editing, but he didn't know that and he needs the footage anyway, so I just have to deal with it.

I used MPEG Streamclip to transcode the VOB files to .dv files, then brought those into Final Cut Pro. FCP can't natively edit MPEG2 video, so you do have to transcode it first. Anyway, MPEG Streamclip worked well, and while I don't have the DVD done yet, the footage doesn't look too bad in FCP. However, no matter what you do, you are going to get artifacting because the process of going from compressed material to uncompressed material back to compressed material causes a (significant) quality loss. Unfortunately, MPEG2's structure and especially the multiplexed data streams on a DVD are by their nature difficult to digitally manipulate without a conversion to some other format.

HughMan

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2005
Finaly an answer

Thank you so much "mduser63". I've spent endless hous looking for a way to do it and now I know why I problems in the fist place.
I do have a question, though...
I did not hear you say that is impossible to go: *vob - *dv - FCP - DVD.
Do you happen to know what the options are to prevent the quality loss?
No matter how crazy those options could be.
For example, first thing that comes to mind is to hook up a DVD player to Mac and then capture a *dv or MPEG file rather than transcode it?
Does that makes any sense at all?
Would it be any different with Windows or different equipment?
Anything?

robx2

macrumors member
May 27, 2005
I don't think you need to worry about losing quality. I've used the vob to dv with MPEGStreamclip, edit in FCP, and then export to DVD method for a number of projects without issue.

MPEG-2 compression is more heavily compressed than DV. So, going from vob to dv is an upconvert (although your quality really won't get any better - garbage in, garbage out). The only thing I'd recommend to maintain quality is to do a 2-pass encode when you spit it back out for DVD through Compressor or another application.

HughMan

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2005
Even better answer

I'll try your method this weekend and post my experience as soon as I am done (I've noticed large number of views for this thread, which leads me to believe that I'm not the only one dreamiming about making my own mix DVDs).
I will be my first attempt but I think I got a pretty good understanding of your instructions (Thank You) and I have all mentioned tools available, except - Compressor -. I hope that aplications is a freeware and if not, there's got to be one available. If anybody can identify a type of software - Compressor - is or has a link to a freeware too that can perform "a 2-pass encode", please post it here.

HughMan

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2005
Just out of curiosity - Out of topic...

I know that different things work for different people and there's no universal answer for many issues in A/V tech. (That's the way we got forums).
But I'll admit that I do not know what to make of such opposing views as "mduser63" and "robx2"???
Obviously both guys know very well what they are talking about and both statements make a lots of sense (to me at least), yet their experiences are exactly opposing. Yes, you will loose a lot of quality vs. No, the quality loss will not be noticeable.
I'm feel privileged to hear both opinions and will try it on my own ( and probably post a third theory on the subject :D ), but just wondering why would that be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.