Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Let me first say, I have abnormally oily hands. With every new iPhone, I get the joy of having an oil free device. For a month or two, the screen stays fresh and clean with its anti-oil coating. Eventually, I get this residue that will not easily come off with water or a "wipe with the shirt". I have an oil overdose problem on my hands (pun intended).

I know I'm not alone.

Being as the iPhone screen is not designed for harsh cleaners, completely removing oil is tedious. Microfiber cloths work well, but I feel like they don't absorb all of the oil and smudges return quickly. Any reusable microfiber cloth WILL cause micro scratching or worse. I highly recommend avoiding a microfiber cloth, as mine were pristine in sealed plastic and they still caused a "minor" scratching on my iPhone 7 Plus. iPhone cleaning kits can be expensive and any kit that contains non-disposable cloths is a no-go in my opinion. Won't use em.

So to cut this long story short, I noticed my girlfriend was using oil removing wipes for her face. I had a "eureka" moment and grabbed the box from her. I look at the wipe and it doesn't seem to have any cleaning chemicals or texture that would cause micro-scratching. I gave it a test and wow....the phone felt brand new using one wipe, giving the phone a complete wipe-down.

If your hands are an oily mess, give these things a chance.
https://www.amazon.com/Clean-Clear-Absorbing-Sheets-Count/dp/B003V57Q5I

Disclaimer: I am not 100% sure there aren't any damaging effects. From my personal use, there seems to be nothing in this product that would cause your phone harm. Also, make sure to blow off any dust particles before wiping down!

Last edited:
Reactions: keysofanxiety

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
With every new iPhone, I get the joy of having an oil free device. For a month or two, the screen stays fresh and clean with its anti-oil coating. Eventually, I get this residue that will not easily come off with water or a "wipe with the shirt". I have an oil overdose problem on my hands (pun intended).

I know I'm not alone.

Being as the iPhone screen is not designed for harsh cleaners, completely removing oil is tedious. Microfiber cloths work well, but I feel like they don't absorb all of the oil and smudges return quickly. Any reusable microfiber cloth WILL cause micro scratching or worse. I highly recommend avoiding a microfiber cloth, as mine were pristine in sealed plastic and they still caused a "minor" scratching on my iPhone 7 Plus. iPhone cleaning kits can be expensive and any kit that contains non-disposable cloths is a no-go in my opinion. Won't use em.

So to cut this long story short, I noticed my girlfriend was using oil removing wipes for her face. I had a "eureka" moment and grabbed the box from her. I look at the wipe and it doesn't seem to have any cleaning chemicals or texture that would cause micro-scratching. I gave it a test and wow....the phone felt brand new using one wipe, giving the phone a complete wipe-down.

If your hands are an oily mess, give these things a chance.
https://www.amazon.com/Clean-Clear-Absorbing-Sheets-Count/dp/B003V57Q5I

Disclaimer: I am not 100% sure there aren't any damaging effects. From my personal use, there seems to be nothing in this product that would cause your phone harm. Also, make sure to blow off any dust particles before wiping down!
One other thing that really helps keep phone clean is to wash those oily hands frequently. Not only does it keep the iPhone JB 7 Plus cleaner, it's also great thing to do this flu season.

Several hand washes a day are worth a thousand wipes regardless of what you use to wipe it with.

Last edited:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
With every new iPhone, I get the joy of having an oil free device. For a month or two, the screen stays fresh and clean with its anti-oil coating.

[...]

What I recommend is using a lint free wipe to clean it out. The oleophobic coating never last longer than 5 months under regular users.

I recommend using Power Support screen protectors as those always have a thicker oloephobic coating. The matte version of theirs carries it 2x the normal amount; however, there is a downside of the matte screen protector, it sort of reduces sharpness and clarity. Is that worth it, only you can tell. The crystal film does have an 1.75x coating and will work fine and give you full screen blast.

Reactions: jbachandouris

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
One other thing that really helps keep phone clean is to wash those oily hands frequently. Not only does it keep the iPhone JB 7 Plus cleaner, it's also great thing to due this flu season.

Several hand washes a day are worth a thousand wipes regardless of what you use to wipe it with.

^^^THIS^^^

I am no nut but do wash my hands multiple times a day and hate it when i get a call while eating french fires with greasy fingers!:mad:

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I vote for washing your hands more frequently. I wouldn't call myself a germaphobe, but once if feel my hands get a little too sticky or oily, I hunt down the nearest bathroom so i can wash my hands. Plus, I go to school in Chicago, so frequent hand washing is a must.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Most people can use their pants to wipe their phones off, but not people that have oily, annoying hands.

Let me respond to all of you in one post:

Hek - I'm sure I wash my hands more frequently than you do :eek:. Still gets oily over a long period of time. I use dish washing soap when I'm in my kitchen because it's much better at drying out my hands.

Jav - This is better than a lint free wipe because it's designed to fully absorb oil. Lint free wipes are also a good alternative none the less.
Not everyone wants a screen protector (I don't). All screens will get oil on them as time passes, even with good coating, my hands will make sure of this. :D

Subwaymac - Actually, it's an iPod, a phone, and an internet communicator.

Bruinsrme - Didn't read my post it seems. Doesn't work for someone with really oily hands or if there's a buildup over a week's time.

Last edited:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Most people can use their pants to wipe their phones off, but not people that have oily, annoying hands.
[...]
Jav - This is better than a lint free wipe because it's designed to fully absorb oil. Lint free wipes are also a good alternative none the less.
Not everyone wants a screen protector (I don't). All screens will get oil on them as time passes, even with good coating, my hands will make sure of this. :D

Would you rather have oil on your phone of the protector, you get two per packet. So in theory you can go up to a year of protection against oily hands.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone

Hek - I'm sure I wash my hands more frequently than you do :eek:. Still gets oily over a long period of time. I use dish washing soap when I'm in my kitchen because it's much better at drying out my hands.

Since it appears important to you that your hands are outlier and that you wash them more often, I won't contest that, accepting you are the winner. :p

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008

Subwaymac - Actually, it's an iPod, a phone, and an internet communicator.

Bruinsrme - Didn't read my post it seems. Doesn't work for someone with really oily hands or if there's a buildup over a week's time.

I did read your post. I stick to mt resolution Oily hands and face on the phone wiped clean by my method. Or glass cleaning cloth. Alcohol leaves a nasty residue which can compound the smearing issue.
Personally I wouldn't use any liquid that is not designed to clean electronics/glass.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I did read your post. I stick to mt resolution Oily hands and face on the phone wiped clean by my method. Or glass cleaning cloth. Alcohol leaves a nasty residue which can compound the smearing issue.
Personally I wouldn't use any liquid that is not designed to clean electronics/glass.
Now that the iPhone 7 is water resistant try my grandma's old recipe. Viniger and water, rub like crazy. Worked on her windows......real windows not Microsoft kind. I think it qualifies as if she rubbed the glass with right material she got electronic discharge from glass, so definitely electronics/glass.

I'd never try it on my "precious", that's what I have you for, to experiment and report results.:confused:

Last edited:

werked

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
You are all heathens!

Lens cleaner (from Sunglass Hut, etc. - unlimited refills) or water, with a microfiber sunglass cloth only, once every couple weeks or so.

^^this^^
I wipe with the shirt sometimes but when I really wanna clean it I use my sunglasses cloth and the glasses cleaner. Safe as works really well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.