Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
hey guys, this looked like the best place to ask this question, and if its not where it needs to be, it'll be moved, no big deal

anyway... im wondering the best way to clean the exterior case and the LCD screen of my 12" powerbook g4?
Please let me know what you guys think will be the best route to take.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
I, VERY CAREFULLY, use dish soap beacuse it cuts the oil of the finguer tips IF you have been touching your screen. Most of the time I use a humed paper towel, be sure does not left paper dust. But it has to be barely humed so it will dry after you pas it on the screen.

For the exterior a more barely hummed paper beacsue if it get hummed on the corner the paint may scratch in the future, remember it is metal.

In my case I do not even touch both surfaces, I have a one inch point brush to take away the dust and that is it.

The only thing I really clean all the way is my wireless keyboard. I take off all they keys and then I wash each one with detergent and after drying very weel I put them back to place... always being sure I have a picture of the keyboard some where.

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
mymemory said:
The only thing I really clean all the way is my wireless keyboard. I take off all they keys and then I wash each one with detergent and after drying very weel I put them back to place... always being sure I have a picture of the keyboard some where.

If you have a dishwasher, you can get one of those garment bags for delicate laundry and save some time. Even if you don't have a dishwasher, you can use a bucket and clean them en bloc. And I agree, it is absolutely imperative to have a photo or something to help you put the keys back in place.

In terms of cleaning the exterior and screen of a powerbook, I only use iKlear.

TrenchMouth

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2002
Nickygoat said:
Lots of people recommend klearscreen

i second this recomendation. i use them for my iPod and iBook and have been very pleased.

however, if all you are worried about is the screen...get a box of lens clothes from walmart for $3 and you can clean your eye wear while you are at it.

klearscreen is the way to go however.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
mymemory said:
For the exterior a more barely hummed paper beacsue if it get hummed on the corner the paint may scratch in the future, remember it is metal.

I'll try not to hum too much while cleaning the iBook so it doesn't get humid - would it help if I knew the words? :D

If you have a spray bottle - DON'T spray directly on the equipment, spray the towel instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.