Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blg002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2007
Last night I heard a clicking noise coming from my PowerBook, I think from the right side closer to the front. I immediately turned off my computer. I turned it on a couple of hours ago, checked my S.M.A.R.T. status and it is "Verified" then ran the Hardware test on the install and restore disk and everything passed the test. This came after a day of heavy downloading and installing/removing of applications, my comp also hasn't been shut off for a few days. I have not heard this noise yet today, and am in the middle of backing up the things I need.

I'm really hoping my hard drive isn't about to crap out, and don't feel it is. I kind of think maybe it was just a fan, but I'm no expert. Any advice/opinions?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
sounds like you're doing everything right. make a backup and be prepared to buy a new hard drive if necessary.

one8gti

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2007
Houston
location of clicking

is it near the power button? becasue if it is then it may be one of the bearings loose in the fan i took mine to a mac store and they replaced the fan free of charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.