Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Here's the situation: I have a HD from an iMac G3 333 with Panther installed on it. It's a 6GB HD. I need to clone it to new 80GB HD...What would be the best way to do this?

Should I put it in my Power Mac along with the new HD, boot off the smaller HD with Panther, install CCC, and use that to clone it over?

Does that sound like it will work?

Ryan

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
Use Disk Utility, create a disk image from the drive (Make sure it's read only), then select the 80GB drive and pick the restore tab. Under the restore tab select the image of the 6GB drive you just made and click restore.

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
Benjamindaines said:
Use Disk Utility, create a disk image from the drive (Make sure it's read only), then select the 80GB drive and pick the restore tab. Under the restore tab select the image of the 6GB drive you just made and click restore.

Might be even safer to do so from the supplied install disk.
My personal fav is drive genius (the cloning feature is basically copy-cat).

berg

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2006
I think that Carbon copy or SuperDuper should work ...

As far as making a disk image ... I/ve never done that ... but from the help viewer in disk utility ... when you make the disk image it will be as large as whatever is on your drive

With a small drive like yours .... the disk image may be too big ...

Cheers ....

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
berg said:
I think that Carbon copy or SuperDuper should work ...

As far as making a disk image ... I/ve never done that ... but from the help viewer in disk utility ... when you make the disk image it will be as large as whatever is on your drive

With a small drive like yours .... the disk image may be too big ...

Cheers ....

Well, I can keep the 40GB in my G4 with Tiger on it, hook up the 6GB, make the disk image (onto the 40GB), then put the new 80GB in the G4 and restore the disk image I just made (on the 40GB) back onto the 80.

Then I won't need to bother with booting from the Panther install and fool around with that, except for testing.

Oh, and CCC is basically just a time saver method of doing that right? It basically makes the disk image while copying it over at the same thing, which is more ideal for backing up? I guess either method will work, I'll use the Disk Utility one though, thanks guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.