Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RumorzGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Guam, Mariana Islands, U.S.A.
[ NOW RESOLVED ]

Well, I just made an interesting discovery while working on updating some of my graphics in Adobe Photoshop CS6.

While I about 1825 Open Type Fonts, True Type Fonts and Font Suitcases files installed in my "Fonts" folder in my Home library -- or about 660 actual font families -- only about two dozen of those fonts are currently showing up under CS6's fonts display menu in the top left corner of my screen.

When I open a graphic which contains some of those fonts, CS6 complains that the fonts are missing, and suggests font substitution.

I have visually verified that all of the fonts are indeed still in the aforementioned folder after installing the GM a few days ago. Yet for some odd reason, CS6 is not recognizing that they are in there, as it has always done before.

Looking in CS6's preferences, I don't see anything anywhere which might kick start the fonts menu and get the remainder of the other fonts displaying there.

Other than perhaps re-installing CS6, I am not sure what to do. I don't really relish the idea of having to re-install CS6, as then I would also have to re-install and re-register all of my plug-ins as well. :(

Does anyone know of an easier solution?

Thanks.

Update #1:

I used the "Font Book" app to re-download any possible missing fonts, to remove all duplicate fonts, and to validate all fonts.

Font Book validated the vast majority of the fonts, and only found minor problems with a little more than a hundred of the 1825 font files, and a serious problem with only ONE of them, which I deleted.

After doing that, I relaunched Photoshop CS6. For some reason, the previous steps gave me back a few dozen fonts at best. However, many more are still not showing up in CS6's fonts menu for some reason.

Update #2:

I downloaded and installed Adobe's font test script. While Font Book claims that I now have 659 fonts installed -- being as I deleted one of them -- Adobe's font test script seems to only recognize 321 of them.

At any rate, I ran the script from within Photoshop CS6. It did not find a single error with any of the 321 fonts that it recognizes. So I am still mystified regarding why so many fonts are not being displayed in CS6's font menu, even though they did before I upgraded to Sierra GM.

I even turned off font preview size entirely, and then tried the different sizes. I usually keep it set to "Huge" because I have poor vision. At any rate, even doing that did not help, and I am still minus many fonts in the preview list.

Update #3:

I just checked the Adobe site for any updates for CS6. Other than a Camera RAW update, there was nothing new. I installed that, but obviously, it has nothing to do with my font preview menu.

Also, when I installed macOS Sierra GM, using dosdude1's tools, I did a clean install to my iMac's internal hard drive -- meaning I even erases the drive first -- and then I migrated all of my user files and folders from a USB external hard drive. Just in case this bit of info helps anyone to help me figure out what threw my fonts menu off kilter like this.

I am still clueless. Well, I do have one final suspicion I am going to check into, but I don't think it will help. We shall see.

Update #4:

VICTORY!!!

As I mentioned in update #3, I had one more suspicion to check into. As it turns out, it appears that I was right.

Some time ago, I uninstalled RGBworld's "Windowmizer" app. For those of you who are not familiar with it, it is a modern, application version of Sanity's old and very popular Windowshade hack.

I don't recall if I uninstalled it while I was still using El Capitan, or after I upgraded to the Sierra betas.

At any rate, the reason why I uninstalled it were for the following reasons:

• Very slow and troublesome window-switching and/or switching to the desktop.
  • It made the Applications window's background -- the one that appears when you click on the Applications icon in the Dock -- white, instead of dark.
  • It made displaying messages in Apple mail very slow and troublesome.
However, in thinking about the Photoshop CS6 font menu issue, I realized that the only major change I had made to my system after I installed Sierra GM, was to re-install Windowmizer, in order to determine if it would behave better under Sierra GM.

So, a short while ago, based on that suspicion, I completely removed Windowmizer and rebooted my system.

Guess what?

All of the aforementioned three problems are gone again, and my CS6 font menu is now displaying all of my fonts again. There was never anything wrong with my fonts to begin with. Windowmizer was simply affecting the menu in some way, just as it was affecting Mail's ability to quickly display message content.

Issue resolved! I am a happy camper again.

I guess it is time for me to write to the Windowmizer developer about this.

Last edited:
Reactions: biziclop
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.