Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
My reason for wanting subtitles is totally different but still very valid for me. My fiancee is Korean and is not fluent enough in English to pick up dialogue (it can be difficult sometimes even for a native speaker). For her trying to watch a movie without subtitles is a waste of time unless she has seen the movie perhaps 10 times already with subtitles. Yes you got that right, she may need to watch a movie 10 times with subtitles to understand what the movie is all about. So for us subtitles are absolutely mandatory. I have re-encoded several movies and converted them to burned-in subtitles, the only kind that seems to be universally supported (and usually bigger text than CC, another benefit); since she will always need the subtitles when we watch a movie anyway the burned-in aspect is not a problem for me. Most of my movies are older pre-war stuff (mostly film noir and crime dramas) that she is not interested in so only newer stuff gets the treatment. I have a WDTV Live+ that I have been using to access video_ts folders with menu support so that I could get subtitles, but now I am converting all of her movies for the :apple:TV (2nd gen) so that she can have movies and music all in one device complete with an easy interface.

EDIT: I really wish the streaming services would get on the ball and provide subtitle support, since they are totally useless to us right now. I have Netflix and she would love to watch some of the streaming movies but I have to wait and get them on DVD instead so that we can get the subtitles.

trixiesirisheye

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
Call me crazy, but I don't think hearing-impaired people should have to go to that much trouble to see subtitles. If I'm watching a DVD, there's a quick and easy option for me to see subtitles. If I'm watching a movie downloaded from iTunes, or streaming from Netflix, not so much. Fine, I'll just watch TV with closed captions, or read a book.

Like I tell my web clients, "Disabled people have money to spend, too. Do you want it or not? If you want it, make sure they can use your site. If you make sure they can use your site, you'll probably have a devoted customer for life."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.