Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
By the time you add an SSD and 8GB of RAM to a brand new cMBP to bring it up to the specs of a similarly-specced rMBP, it's already going to be just about $100-200 below that of the rMBP, and you're still stuck with the horrible non-retina display, mediocre iGPU, thick chassis and a heavier weight.

Yes but this is life, not Top Trumps where a few grams of weight are necessarily soooo important. My MBP has been upgraded with drives that didn't exist when it was built so a price comparison then was not possible. Add in phasing the expense, and the fact that the drives can be transferred to another suitable machine so they are not lost if the MBP dies in any case...and $200 is still $200...

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Speaking of value for money, how about this.

By the time you add an SSD and 8GB of RAM to a brand new cMBP to bring it up to the specs of a similarly-specced rMBP, it's already going to be just about $100-200 below that of the rMBP, and you're still stuck with the horrible non-retina display, mediocre iGPU, thick chassis and a heavier weight.

A spinning disk shouldn't exist inside a portable - it's just asking for it to die faster considering that a laptop is always moved around.

Finally, someone who knows how to think!

Zakzilla

macrumors member
May 11, 2015
Speaking of value for money, how about this.

A spinning disk shouldn't exist inside a portable - it's just asking for it to die faster considering that a laptop is always moved around.

Agreed, but OP is saying he can get a used cMBP for $420, whereas a used rMBP is about $800. So it's 2x. In this scenario, I can see the appeal of cMBP as a starter computer, and it is very usable. I'd personally save up the extra money to get a used rMBP (having used both, it's better in many ways), but if budget is tight, nothing wrong with cMBP.

My point was mainly that nobody should buy a new cMBP. It's a huge ripoff

apoenq

macrumors member
May 21, 2015
Agreed, but OP is saying he can get a used cMBP for $420, whereas a used rMBP is about $800. So it's 2x. In this scenario, I can see the appeal of cMBP as a starter computer, and it is very usable. I'd personally save up the extra money to get a used rMBP (having used both, it's better in many ways), but if budget is tight, nothing wrong with cMBP.

My point was mainly that nobody should buy a new cMBP. It's a huge ripoff

Hi thanks for the comment. yap, i just bought the 2nd hand cMbp 13 2012 for just ~350USD. The seller dropped the price again since I notice there is one "dirty black dot" in the screen. :( I am pretty sure it is not dead pixel since I still can see the dot when the macbook is turned off. I read somewhere in the internet, it is something like foreign object inside the screen. @@ please correct me if i am wrong.

but so far so good, am currently typing in the cMbp but frankly speaking a little bit annoy with the black dot in the screen since it is quite obvious in white background. anyone has the same issues before? any idea how to fix it? or I need to do screen replacement? ><

Thanks all so far for all the comment and help. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.