Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watkipet

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2018
I have a cMP 4,1 flashed to a 5,1. With an RX580. I was running Ventura and installed the SW update for macOS 13.6.3. OCLP prompted me to update its installation, so I did that and installed it on my boot drive's EFI partition. However, I didn't update root patches. I thought I should do that after I booted the new OS.

However, now when I boot, the graphics are so slow, I can't get passed the login screen. Eventually, the login screen turns to garbage, disappears and re-appears. However, I can SSH in just fine. In fact, I'm running the camera.ui server and its been stable for weeks. When I had root patches installed before, it would crash every couple days, always in some piece of `com.apple.kext.AMDRadeonX4000` code. Perhaps it's related to this issue another person found with photoanalysisd.

I'm guessing my login issues are because I haven't applied the AMD Polaris root patches. Does that seem right? Is there any way to apply them from a SSH session?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.