Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
Steve Ballmer and Tim Cook didn't even make the top 25. Even Carl Icahn (The Macrumors most talked about vampire) beat them.

Tim Cook has only been the CEO for two and a half years. All the other CEO's on the list were CEO's for at least a decade! Give him time. He has something to prove.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
It's not that Windows is 'good enough' to run ATMs and businesses; it's that Windows does run ATMs and businesses.

That is 'influence'.

Absolutely agree.

Many people here fail to see that in terms of global reach (amount of people using Apple products) and timespan (amount of people having used Apple products) Apple is still dwarfed by Microsoft.

Just because Apple has had a stellar rise since 2007 and is now the most valuable tech company, doesn't necessarily mean that they have influenced most people on this planet.

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
I don't care for him as a person, but as a business man I have great respect.

I admire how much effort and focus he put into the small details like font spacing or menubar color. Those were the reasons I made the switch to Apple.

You bought expensive itoys cos of menu bar colours... Wow. I don't really know what to say about that!..

----------

All of those photos you posted... are you suggesting something contradictory to what you stated here?

You think...

----------

It's gates without a doubt as no. 1,

97% of the world computers wether you like it or not run Windows. That far outreachs selling a few fancy smartphones...

Then the Google boys at no. 2!.

Google search alone transformed the web from a missmash of rubbish into basic order.. billions of times a day folk use Google. Do they use Apple stuff as much.. no where near... Even then they are using search, maps. Mail and YouTube on their iPhones...

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It would still be a nice option to have on all phones. Since some sites are SLOW in using something else I still require it from time to time.

It would be nice, but the entire smartphone market has rendered it's verdict. Android/Windows Phone/iOS, Flash burns through battery at an astounding level so much so that no one supports it anymore. HTML5 adoption can't happen soon enough.

reznick

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
You bought expensive itoys cos of menu bar colours... Wow. I don't really know what to say about that!..

----------

You think...

----------

It's gates without a doubt as no. 1,

97% of the world computers wether you like it or not run Windows. That far outreachs selling a few fancy smartphones...

Then the Google boys at no. 2!.

Google search alone transformed the web from a missmash of rubbish into basic order.. billions of times a day folk use Google. Do they use Apple stuff as much.. no where near... Even then they are using search, maps. Mail and YouTube on their iPhones...

Is this a joke? Gates built an Empire based off of copying one Apple idea: GUI OS.

Microsoft hasn't done anything nearly as successful since then. None of their other product lines were successes. Gates literally became the richest man in the world because he copied Jobs and priced the invention lower. Why do you think he's into philanthropy? Artists don't quit their craft to do philanthropy full time. Gates isn't an inventor, therefor he improves the world with charity as opposed to creating world altering products.

Calling him the greatest businessman in the last 25 years is a joke, and a slap to Jobs legacy.

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
Is this a joke? Gates built an Empire based off of copying one Apple idea: GUI OS.

Calling him the greatest businessman in the last 25 years is a joke, and a slap to Jobs legacy.

Are you on drugs?.. Apple's idea is it?.. the gui os?. Wow. Care to read these previous comments.. there's loads of links to the history of the gui. Google Xerox park fella I'll save you the time..

If the richest man in the world doesn't have a claim to be the greatest business man ever then who does?..
Even if he copied Apples first OS 100%, he had to then get it into every school, office, petrol station, bank, airline, HOME, the world over.. thats what a great business man does..
Save your ifanboy fantasies, they are out of place here...

reznick

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
Microsoft did not copy Apple GUI. Both Apple and Microsoft copied it from Xerox.

I hate when people say this. You've been watching too much Pirates of Silicon Valley.

Apple stole GUI from Xerox. Microsoft copied Apple. GUI at Xerox was but a prototype. Apple turned the concept into a real product. Microsoft were granted prototype machines to write apps for Mac, and ended up stealing the entire thing.

Apple paid equity to Xerox to view the GUI prototype. Apple rightfully had GUI. Gates, with incredible lack of morality, promised to do one thing for Apple, and ended up doing another, back stabbing Apple in the most significant way.

And people say Jobs was an *******...

----------

Are you on drugs?.. Apple's idea is it?.. the gui os?. Wow. Care to read these previous comments.. there's loads of links to the history of the gui. Google Xerox park fella I'll save you the time..

If the richest man in the world doesn't have a claim to be the greatest business man ever then who does?..
Even if he copied Apples first OS 100%, he had to then get it into every school, office, petrol station, bank, airline, HOME, the world over.. thats what a great business man does..
Save your ifanboy fantasies, they are out of place here...

It was Apple's idea to bring it to the market. Apple paid equity to get access to GUI. Apple took it from a simple prototype and reinvented it into a dynamic OS.

All Gates did, was take what Apple took SIX YEARS to invent, copied it, priced it very low and licensed it.

Thats not a sustainable long term strategy for a company. Which is why Apple till this day continues to be at the forefront of new digital markets. And Microsoft desperately continues to hold onto the success of their 1983 heist.

Apple invented about 5 major breakthroughs in the digital space. Each new invention changed the world, significantly. Gates stole ONE of those 5 inventions, built an empire out of it by selling it as a commodity. And thats the man you feel is deserving of the being ranked #1 business man in the last 25 years?!?!

He stole an invention and sold it for cheap: brilliant!

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
GUI at Xerox was but a prototype. Apple turned the concept into a real product.

Actually the Xerox Star was the first commercial personal computer with a GUI interface, predating the Apple Lisa by 2 years.

Renzatic

Suspended
Actually the Xerox Star was the first commercial personal computer with a GUI interface, predating the Apple Lisa by 2 years.

And the Lisa failed for the same reason the Star did: it was far too expensive. The Mac was the first big GUI equipped success story, but even it wasn't a massive success compared to the likes of the lower end CLI computers, such as the Commodore 64.

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
All Gates did, was take what Apple took SIX YEARS to invent, copied it, priced it very low and licensed it.

Thats not a sustainable long term strategy for a company. !

Erm.. 40 years later. I think MS has proved that you kno Jack about long term sustainable business's..

----------

To be fair, Apple might not have invented these concepts, but managed to turn them from niche to successful mass-consumption products.

You mean like what gates did, but is getting slaughtered for..

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
Well, it's cool when the side I like does it.

Never put better sir......

Ppl act as if gates came round and shagged their sister... Or jobs worked at an orphanage at weekends...

The truth is.... They were. Both ruthless *******s who stopped at nothing to get on...

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Yeah, I guess you could throw the iPod in there, though I wouldn't consider it nearly as earth shattering as the iPhone and iPad were.
See,

To me the iPod itself was the tipping point of modern tech.

not the iphone. Not the iPad.

up until the Ipod itself, modern technology and convergence was a geeky thing. Computers were nerdy. Why would your average person need to use a computer besides the basic, simple spreadsheet and document. You turned on your computer. you wrote your memo, you printed. you left.

This was the average computer use pre iPod era. You were a nerd or a geek if you did anything more. And nerds and geeks of that era were not held in high esteem. we were social outcasts.

So who before the iPod would be caught dead lugging around an MP3 player. everyone else just bought CD's which had music ready to go. Plop in the CD and listen. An MP3 player required a computer. It required the ability to rip CD's or have fast internet. it was purely in the realm of geek and nerd.

The iPod changed that. By changing the MP3 player and making it consumer oriented, and making it something that people outside of the little geek bubble wanted, computers, technology and the like took off at a record breakneck pace. People started to learn to use computers more in depth so they could get music on this sexy little device that could store hundreds of hours of music. The iPod was unobtrusive and pocketable, while also looking good. now, your "mom and pop" could and did want these things.

From there it was a new ball game. iTunes made music purchasing that much easier. which, because of the iPod became an industry changing event for music distribution. Internet itself caught up and surpassed what it was back then because finally people saw a reason for the internet other than managing their servers or reading a blog.

The iPhone and iPad were further extensions of the iPod that came before it. Everyone wanted a small sleek sexy MP3 player, and now everyone had one...

at the same time. Cell phones really took off. Now people were carrying two items around with them wherever they went. Cell phone and iPod. Apple, as well as other manufacturers saw the future was convergence, and it's been a roller-coaster ride of technological improvements since.

Like many of Apples other products, they weren't the first. They weren't the best. But they, under Job's saw a greater market, and were able to repackage them in just the right way to change the overall paradigm.

I have no opposition to Jobs been #1 on the list for Most Influential Business Leader in the Past 25 Years.

there are many others who are just as worthy to be #1 as well. Nobody did their work in a vacuum and they all leaned heavily on eachother. The tech industry in particular often forgets, that what you develop today can only be possible because of what was developed before. "to stand on the shoulder of giants"

reznick

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
Erm.. 40 years later. I think MS has proved that you kno Jack about long term sustainable business's..

MS strong for decades because of cheap OS. Windows is becoming a joke, and MS hasn't done anything good in post PC era. Hence, lack of long term sustainability.

Lets let the next 10 years run its course, and we will see their PC dominance evaporate. Then what do they have? Office apps on iDevices and some server tools? Cool story bro.

Renzatic

Suspended
Yes, Apple created breakthrough inventions in all of those markets. I guess I am drinking the koolaid, reality flavored.

Apple didn't invent the MP3 player. Diamond and Creative beat them to that. In fact, Creative sued Apple over patent infringement and won their case quite handedly.

If the iPod was innovative in anything at all, it wasn't with the product itself, but the marketing surrounding it. Well, you could argue iTunes of course, but even that wasn't a brand new idea. It succeeded because Apple had the financial clout and influence to convince the MPAA to allow them to do it. Ultimately, it was monetized Napster.

The iPhone? Definitely the best designed smartphones to show up on the scene. It was sleek, easy to use, and very well designed. But Apple didn't invent the smartphone. Same with the tablet.

All this backs up what I've always said about Apple. They rarely ever invent. They make other people's inventions elegant. They're the style and ergonomics house of the tech industry.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Nothing wrong in trying to beat the competition as long as you try to do it fairly. I don't think you can compare Microsoft's history of anticompetitive practices with Apple.

Fairly?

Hc2kG.jpg

Apple sues German supermarket because logo is similar.

nXwg0.png

Apple sues German cafe because logo is similar.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...-apple-logo-threatens-small-german-cafe.shtml

reznick

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
You mean like what gates did, but is getting slaughtered for..

Are you really saying the two are similar?

Scenario A: I give away a portion of my company to come to your engineering lab and use any of the ideas as I please.

Scenario B: You give me a prototype of your product so I can develop X. Instead of developing X, I steal the entire product.

It's like saying receiving a Christmas present is the same as robbing a store.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
MS strong for decades because of cheap OS. Windows is becoming a joke, and MS hasn't done anything good in post PC era. Hence, lack of long term sustainability.

Lets let the next 10 years run its course, and we will see their PC dominance evaporate. Then what do they have? Office apps on iDevices and some server tools? Cool story bro.

if this is what you truly believe than you show a complete lack of understanding about Microsoft, it's services and what made microsoft what it is.

you can Love or hate the UI of Windows 8, but using that as your basis over what Microsoft is and does is narrow minded and incorrect.

reznick

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
Apple didn't invent the MP3 player. Diamond and Creative beat them to that. In fact, Creative sued Apple over patent infringement and won their case quite handedly.

If the iPod was innovative in anything at all, it wasn't with the product itself, but the marketing surrounding it. Well, you could argue iTunes of course, but even that wasn't a brand new idea. It succeeded because Apple had the financial clout and influence to convince the MPAA to allow them to do it. Ultimately, it was monetized Napster.

The iPhone? Definitely the best designed smartphones to show up on the scene. It was sleek, easy to use, and very well designed. But Apple didn't invent the smartphone. Same with the tablet.

All this backs up what I've always said about Apple. They rarely ever invent. They make other people's inventions elegant. They're the style and ergonomics house of the tech industry.

Who said Apple invented the MP3 player? Apple invented the iPod, a breakthrough product.

When people say "Apple didn't invent anything," they're admitting to having a very narrow minded, simplistic view on invention and creation.

Apple invented every product its ever created. They combined existing technologies to invent them. People often mistake those existing technologies with Apple's products. Apples products usually consist of a combination of existing technologies, new innovations, and combining those elements to create something entirely new.

People don't criticize Da Vinci for not inventing paint, yet they criticize Apple for not inventing the phone. Huh?

Renzatic

Suspended

You got a good point. I think when it comes to the iPod, I focus mostly on how how it hit me personally. Unlike the iPhone, which greatly impressed me when I first saw it back in '07, the iPod was more a simple "hey, that's pretty cool". It was nice, but it didn't absolutely blow my mind.

But after reading what you said, you're right. While I would argue it wasn't THE device that eventually kicked off the mobile revolution, it was a very big first step towards it.

reznick

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
if this is what you truly believe than you show a complete lack of understanding about Microsoft, it's services and what made microsoft what it is.

you can Love or hate the UI of Windows 8, but using that as your basis over what Microsoft is and does is narrow minded and incorrect.

Please, enlighten me.

I live in the real world, where 15+ years ago, you HAD to get a PC. Getting anything else was sad. Today, getting a PC is sad, and you HAVE to get a MacBook.

MS is still a very strong empire because they're so deeply entrenched across the globe with their crappy OS. Time solves this. Their technology and innovations now are crap, and the market just needs to catch up to their lack of innovation. Give it 10 years.

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014

So you are. Is changing the goalposts... You start with "stealing an idea isn't ideal for long-term business success".. MS still here proves YOU ARE WRONG!...

then.. move.onto..

let's see what happens in the next ten years... Is everything non Apple so wrong in your life that you have to come on forums and spout twaddle... So in 2024 when MS celebrate 50years on the go.. nit bad really as.it's. Not a sustainable business idea... What are you gonna be posting then.. gates only gave 20 billion to save dieing African kids.. .the tight get!... Well that wud be 20 billion more than jobs ever gave!

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Who said Apple invented the MP3 player? Apple invented the iPod, a breakthrough product.

When people say "Apple didn't invent anything," they're admitting to having a very narrow minded, simplistic view on invention and creation.

Apple invented every product its ever created. They combined existing technologies to invent them. People often mistake those existing technologies with Apple's products. Apples products usually consist of a combination of existing technologies, new innovations, and combining those elements to create something entirely new.

People don't criticize Da Vinci for not inventing paint, yet they criticize Apple for not inventing the phone. Huh?

Apple didnt invent the phone though. I believe that accomplishment rests with Alexander Graham Bell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.