Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
The X3100 is an abomination for anything gaming. The 9400M is very much superior to the X3100 for gaming; definitely more robust.

cryingrobot

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
I just made this pic for you :D
You will NEVER have troubles finding a game on CoD4 right now and for many months to come.

My list of servers is completely different than yours. Not sure why that would be. I cant find a hardcore match or a domination match on any of the servers that show up. In reality, there are only about 4-5 team deathmatches happening at any given time and a couple free for alls. Are you disabling your firewalls?

cryingrobot

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
Yup that line is the problem, the GMA cards are a pain when you need gaming performance. The good news is the newer MacBooks have a better 9400 card that allows you to play newer games like BioShock on medium settings.

Then again if you want to be gaming spending a little more money on a machine with a good card is worth it as it means you Mac will stay playable for that little bit longer. Although buying a MacPro is a little overkill :)

Edwin

Even with a macpro 4870 the graphics can get sluggish on high. Particularly when there are alot of players. Ive often wondered if i would have this problem if I purchased the windows version.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Even with a macpro 4870 the graphics can get sluggish on high. Particularly when there are alot of players. Ive often wondered if i would have this problem if I purchased the windows version.

I have both Mac and Windows versions of COD4 on my 1,1 Mac Pro. It came with a 1900XT driving two 30" ACDs and Windows performance on COD4 was "pretty good". By the time the OSX version came out, I'd upgraded to an 8800GT. That improved the game performance a little under XP, but by comparison was "unacceptable" under OSX. Recently, I upgraded to a 4870. That made a HUGE improvement in XP, allowing me to play that game now at native resolution (2560 x 1600), all graphics turned on and still get FPS over 100 minimum. OTOH, booting up the OSX version was a major disappointment, even with the 4870.

Dragonforce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2008
Germany
My list of servers is completely different than yours. Not sure why that would be. I cant find a hardcore match or a domination match on any of the servers that show up. In reality, there are only about 4-5 team deathmatches happening at any given time and a couple free for alls. Are you disabling your firewalls?

You using the most recent patch ? 1.7something... ?
Sorting by amount of players ?
And yeah, on Mac OS X, no hardware/software firewall at all for me.

withe

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2010
What will COD4 run like under OS X on my system?

Early 2008 Macbook Pro 15', 2.4 Ghz, 2GB RAM, nVidia Geforce 8600M GT 256 MB VRAM.

I can't decide whether to buy it or not.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
What will COD4 run like under OS X on my system?

Early 2008 Macbook Pro 15', 2.4 Ghz, 2GB RAM, nVidia Geforce 8600M GT 256 MB VRAM.

I can't decide whether to buy it or not.

It runs fine on my late 2008 Standard MacBook, with the Gefore 9400.

I'm sure it will good on yours too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.