Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
I am looking for a language to teach myself programming. I haven’t coded since the days of Apple LOGO, BASIC, Pascal, and Apple MLX for the //gs (why I wanted to deal with machine language I don't know.)

Has anybody dealt with Dreamcard or Runtimerevolution. It was used to program Myst. It seems similar to HyperCard, something that I have had only preferable contact with. I am just want something relatively simple so that I can manipulate text, and secondarily, connect to a search engine through some sort of browser.

I am looking for something inexpensive and something easy. It doesn’t have to be true codeing, as long as it creates a usable application.

Any thoughts?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I think you're thinking farther than you really need to. Apple's own AppleScript Studio (which I believe comes with Xcode; tutorial here) is just fine for creating your first Mac OS X application. Once you get some programming experience, you can move on to something more advanced.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Thanks for the advice. I haven’t invested in language or downloaded the trial version of the coder/compiler/tutorial because I don't want to waste time or money. I will look at the link. I looked at Java, but all the reference material I had for Sun's free learn Java tutorial was set up for os 9, and I couldn't download all that Sun's sight said I needed to began developing Java from Apples ADC site. Perhaps I am getting in over my head.

I already am working with AppleScript, though admittedly not well. (I am haven’t figured out exactly what the proper syntax is for all elements.) Currently I managed to get a script to load a series of programs (instead of using the system preferences/accounts /startup), while playing a kiosk mode movie that I made in which my name appears is cool animated text while the THX theme plays in the background.

At work I write scripts (old school MS DOS) for simple backup, maintenance, and metrics routines. Scripts can only do so much.

I have three programs that I want to create.
1.) A simple text manipulation utility where I can work with individual characters, words, spacing etc. and then save it as a txt file.
2.) A program that replaces nouns and verbs with pictures.
3.) A program that takes results from a browser based search engine, and then further refines them. (Perhaps out of my reach.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.