Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The heating to my room is terrible in my old house. I just woke up my iMac G5 and here's the temperature after using it for 5 minutes.

I'll start to worry if it gets to 50 F in here. >.>

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
My iMac's G5 processor is at 150˚ F right now. (65˚ C). On the miniStat2 website, it says not to worry until it gets above 80˚ C.

From that graph, you are only at about 51˚ C, no need to worry yet.

By the Way, miniStat2 is the best widget ever (besides the ones that came with Tiger).

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
You've created the perfect environment to run a computer in! I'll bet if everybody kept their hard drive at 60F the failure rate would be a heckuva lot lower.

Of course, I've heard of computers and/or drives that actually refuse to start up in extremely low (sub-freezing, that is) temperatures, but you're going to have trouble typing in gloves before it gets that cold in your house.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
EricNau said:
My iMac's G5 processor is at 150? F right now. (65? C). On the miniStat2 website, it says not to worry until it gets above 80? C.

From that graph, you are only at about 51? C, no need to worry yet.

By the Way, miniStat2 is the best widget ever (besides the ones that came with Tiger).
Oh no, I'm worried my room will get BELOW the minimal recommended operating temperature. I'm rarely in it during the day since it's so cold. I just go the heated ones.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Eidorian said:
Oh no, I'm worried my room will get BELOW the minimal recommended operating temperature. I'm rarely in it during the day since it's so cold. I just go the heated ones.

Oh, I see. If you want to keep your computer nice and toasty warm, make sure the performance is set for 'high'. It might also heat your room a little too! :p

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
EricNau said:
Oh, I see. If you want to keep your computer nice and toasty warm, make sure the performance is set for 'high'. It might also heat your room a little too! :p
I just turned file and iTunes sharing on so I can just access its resources with my laptop. I just keep it on being the local file server.

Still, I want to see if I can get a cooler screenshot than that one. :cool:

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Eidorian said:
I just turned file and iTunes sharing on so I can just access its resources with my laptop. I just keep it on being the local file server.

Still, I want to see if I can get a cooler screenshot than that one. :cool:

I love this widget, you have to pay for it (unles of course you can deal with the demo screen) :( But I still love it, despite the fact that I had to pay - It's that good. :D

And you can customize it too look like your computer!

Picture 2.png Picture 3.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.