Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Well I am not quite in college yet, but i just opened my acceptance letter from the University of Minnesota - Duluth! :D I've been admitted into the College of Liberal Arts with International Studies listed as my major. Now... all I need to do is just to worry about paying for it.

What I really want to do is a double major: International Studies and Psychology.

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
im_to_hyper said:
Well I am not quite in college yet, but i just opened my acceptance letter from the University of Minnesota - Duluth! Now... all I need to do is just to worry about paying for it.

Does UMD offer reciprocity to Wisconsin students? I'd think they do, since I'm pretty sure the "U" in the Twin Cities does.

I'm a double major as well (I was sort of surprised to see all the double majors here!) getting Bachelor of Science degrees in Graphic Communications Management and General Business Administration. I'm graduating in December! Woo-hoo! 4.5 years of fun, including an 8 month internship, a zillion credits (okay, 169) and I'm on to bigger and/or better things. :D Working on the job search is fun - I've had interviews with 10 different printing companies thus far - and 3 second interviews coming up. Whee! :D

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
im_to_hyper said:
Well I am not quite in college yet, but i just opened my acceptance letter from the University of Minnesota - Duluth! :D I've been admitted into the College of Liberal Arts with International Studies listed as my major. Now... all I need to do is just to worry about paying for it.

Think "student loans", think "no more Mac purchases :(", think "utter carelessness" because your loans get so damn big that you stop caring....and I say that with significantly less than a lot of folks. Sucks either way, just make sure you do well enough at what you learn so you get a decent job to pay back the learning fees. If not, well then it wasn't worth it.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
im_to_hyper said:

paying for college at least for me hasn't been that bad, but it helps to be paid a lot of money. Get a good job and you will be fine. I have been able to pay for college and buy Macs, anime, DVD player, HDTV (this summer) and a trip to japan.

just get the job that is perfect for you and pays well and everything will be fine. I think some people over exaggerate the price of colleges, even thou they are outrageous a lot fo colleges offer scholarships and also student loans and financial aid.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
I majored in mathematics and minored in physics (I started out as a physics major). Even without a degree I've done research for the National Science Foundation and the Department of Energy.

My area of specialty is differential topology (immersions and embeddings of manifolds, homotopy theory and morse theory) and related aspects in theoretical physics (specifically where those mathematical techniques can be used within general relativity, quantum field theory and gauge theory).

While I still love physics and enjoy doing physics research, my real passion is pure mathematics. In physics everything is based on modeling nature, where in mathematics the only limitation is your imagination. In that way it is a lot like art. :D

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Toppa G's said:
Does UMD offer reciprocity to Wisconsin students? I'd think they do, since I'm pretty sure the "U" in the Twin Cities does.

Heck yes! I think current tuition rates for Wisconsin students are around $8400/year. Non-resident is about $17,000. If there was no reciprocity I have considered UW-Stevens Point, UW-Stout and UW-Marshfield (where I live). I was actually already accepted into the three of those, but Duluth was my top pick.

If I manage to pass all my AP tests in May I will have 38-46 college credits ready to go. I'm not quite sure what "grade level" that will put me in when I start, but it is much higher than the average freshman.

That should definately cut back on some of my expenses.

Hey, efoto: I don't have any new Macs, anyway! All I have right now is a Wallstreet (currently being traded for a Clamshell). So yeah. :D I do want one though... in case you have any extras...

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
im_to_hyper said:
If I manage to pass all my AP tests in May I will have 38-46 college credits ready to go. I'm not quite sure what "grade level" that will put me in when I start, but it is much higher than the average freshman.

I went to high school in Wis. Rapids - (Go Red Raiders ;) ), and was able to get 17 credits due to AP testing....didn't do so well on the calculus one (2), but got 14 credits from German - woohoo! :D Of course, those credits did absolutely nothing for me as far as my major went, but still bumped me up for picking classes every semester.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I guess that you can consider me a college student...

BS in Computer Science
MS in Information Systems
Currently getting an MS in Engineering Management

Hickman

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Toppa G's said:
I went to high school in Wis. Rapids - (Go Red Raiders ;) ), and was able to get 17 credits due to AP testing....didn't do so well on the calculus one (2), but got 14 credits from German - woohoo! :D Of course, those credits did absolutely nothing for me as far as my major went, but still bumped me up for picking classes every semester.

Offtopic, but SWEET.

I went to Immanuel Lutheran in Rapids until about 8th grade until I moved to Marshfield.

Yeah, I'm in AP German. Hopefully I get something. I will try to test out of some Spanish classes as well.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
CubaTBird said:
jazz, i play piano/keyboards

Awesome! Rock on with your bad self!

and advice:

is doing a double degree THAT bad?
I just got back from a UH thingiee, and I could get a BBA in global energy management (AWESOME) and a BS in economics.

it'd be something like 153 hours... I'm thinking it sounds awesome.
What do y'all think?

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
katie ta achoo said:

and advice:

I just got back from a UH thingiee, and I could get a BBA in global energy management (AWESOME) and a BS in economics.

What do y'all think?

well i am double majoring, getting a minor, and going to design school at the same time, so it isn't that bad

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
katie ta achoo said:

and advice:

What do y'all think?

I'd say go for it. It's much easier to get it done all at once, and it gives you a little bit of variety. Plus, they're at least somewhat related majors, so there might be come crossover. I'm at 136 hours towards bachelors in music and biology (and two minors) and still alive.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
mad jew said:
Started with mechanical engineering but found that didn't quite suit me - not enough people contact. So, am now studying medicine and psychology plus geography on the side to keep things interesting (and work out where the hell I am). Final goal: psychiatrist. :)

You mean you like to be social? :eek:

;) :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.