Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davekro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
No. Calif.
My left monitor #2 connected via HDMI to my 2012 i7 Mini just turned greenish. What could cause this? Is it more likely monitor or Mini related? I've had the two new (Amazon) 24" Dell U2415's about 5 weeks.

I wasn't sure about hot swapping the monitor cables to see if the discoloration went to the other screen so I did a restart as step one. (edit: wish I had just turned the offending monitor off/on first! :( ) The problem monitor, instead of the screen going black, like normal, it turned purple before fully powering down. Upon restart, it returned to it's normal look.

A while back I noticed that white screen of this left HDMI monitor has an ever so slight pinkish and darker tint* than the right Display Port connected monitor #1. (*EX: when I drag this forum's white text box so it is across both screens.)

I have the cables & power cords tie wrap (cable managment) to each monitor's stand, so thought I'd ask here before disassembling that.
Both monitors are still at factory settings except that both have been changed Brightness (50%), Contrast (75%).

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Sounds like you fixed it. I wouldn't worry about it unless it's a recurring problem.

As for "ever so slight pinkish and darker tint", that's fairly normal for two monitors, even of identical make and model. If you want them to be closer, you'll have to get a colorimeter and calibrate them.

davekro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
No. Calif.
Sounds like you fixed it. I wouldn't worry about it unless it's a recurring problem.

That's good to hear. No no more issues, just that one time. Just get kinda scared with both the 2012 mini and Brand new Dell monitors all new to me in the past month. ;)

As for "ever so slight pinkish and darker tint", that's fairly normal for two monitors, even of identical make and model. If you want them to be closer, you'll have to get a colorimeter and calibrate them.
Also very good to hear this is normal. I have zero issue with it. Glad it is not a sign of an impending issue! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.