Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FortMOney

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Good for him, good for apple, bad for us who like jailbreaking. Whoever said there will be less reason to jailbreak iOS5 is crazy. There are some things that apple will never implement. I'm not really sure why the average users want jailbreaking to be made harder or impossible, it doesn't hurt them and it really sucks for us that jailbreak

smartperson

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2003
New York
The other reason big companies (like Apple) do this is so that they can bring the person in a have him sign an NDA. That way if he ever releases another jailbreak their lawyers can claim that he used proprietary knowledge that he gained during his employment at Apple.

You see this all the time.

skoorbevad

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2007
For everybody worrying about losing jailbreak, don't. There are so many known vulnerabilities by the jailbreak community that turns them into viable jailbreaking exploits that they stock pile them for future releases -- they obviously don't want Apple knowing what they know. You can count on jailbreaks for a long time coming, even if they're slow to appear.

Am I the only one that finds the sheer number of discovered vulnerabilities disturbing, though?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8G4)

Nicholas Allegra or is it Harry Potter?

Nicholas Allegra... Harry Potter used a wand, not an iPhone. :p

But seriously, beyond the change of prop, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
New CEO trainee?! :eek:

Stranger things have happened. At 19, he's certainly the youngest member of the new Executive panel…

new-apple-executive-profiles-1.jpg

Apple sure is shaking things up right now. Exciting times.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Jailbreaking is what makes me stick with the iPhone. If it becomes more difficult or takes even longer to wait for a jailbreak, and this upcoming iPhone isn't amazing hardware wise, might have to start browsing for a different phone.

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
Well it's not like Apple really cares about him. They were trying to block the jailbreak and when they failed, why not give up and just hire the guy who makes it. Smart move I guess, but that will mean that no more one-click jailbreaks.

"To protect the sheep you gotta catch the wolf, and it takes a wolf to catch a wolf"

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Turncoat!

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

sean.crees said:
Why does the iPhone he's holding look like he just used it as a skipping stone down a sidewalk?

Because he created jailBREAKs for iOS devices. I would put breaks in italics but I'm on my iPhone.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I guess Nintendo should learn from Apple and start hiring them before they move on to other systems; he 'jailbroke' the Wii before he was even working on jb iOS. :cool:

JustinDaigle

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2011
Jailbreaking is what makes me stick with the iPhone. If it becomes more difficult or takes even longer to wait for a jailbreak, and this upcoming iPhone isn't amazing hardware wise, might have to start browsing for a different phone.

Same here. In about a year, I'll have to use a MacBook Air instead of an iPhone, and some dumbphone as its modem instead of an iPhone. I don't want to resort to that, but let's face it - I've had my 3GS for almost two years. It's vastly outlived its useful life. :(

Let's face it; the jailbreak community's dead. The only really talented hackers that have done anything worthwhile in the last year are geohot and comex. Geohot's gone, and now comex is as well. I guess time will tell how it affects iOS market share. The figure on percentage of iOS users who jailbreak is 10% if I recall correctly. Let's say half those people wouldn't buy an iOS device if there is no jailbreak available. That's 5% fewer iOS devices sold. I guess our best hope is that comex winds up getting fired, then maybe releases iOS source code and the keys needed to sign it for revenge. :p

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
Instead of vilifying jailbreakers and developers who enable jailbreaking, Apple is hiring these talented individuals. Just another reason that I have respect for Apple and its management team. Very smart move from a very agile company.

JustinDaigle

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2011
Instead of vilifying jailbreakers and developers who enable jailbreaking, Apple is hiring these talented individuals. Just another reason that I have respect for Apple and its management team. Very smart move from a very agile company.

Actually, that's debatable. As I mentioned in my previous post, Apple may well lose up to 5% of iOS's market share through this. (making the two fairly safe assumptions that jailbreaking will now be impossible, and that half of those who jailbreak won't buy an iOS device if they can't jailbreak).

What isn't debatable is that comex is a sell-out, and won't stand for his principles. I said this on Twitter, and I think it makes a good point:

If a tech-themed parody of the Bible is written, I vote that @comex should play Judas.

Edit: Go on, keep downvoting me. Tell me I'm wrong, but I know it just confirms that I'm right.

Last edited:

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
What's wrong with this picture?

He's an intern? Yeah Right!

Apple lost in court, so now that JB is legal, they've hired one of the finest to close all the holes. Working on slowing down, making it harder, if not impossible will be this guys forte.

Enjoy your JB phone now, the times are changing.

Remember Apple is nothing, if not controlling.

42streetsdown

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2011
Gallifrey, 5124
What isn't debatable is that comex is a sell-out, and won't stand for his principles. I said this on Twitter, and I think it makes a good point:

You can't blame a guy for taking a job that is gonna make him financially independent. He's frikin 19 and working at a company that makes products that he loves. He is living his dream. That is a great thing for him, and we should be happy for him.

Get off your high horse and stop whining that you won't get your exploits handed to you on a plate. comex jailbroke for fun. Fun was the principle that he stood for and will continue to stand for.

If you don't like it that hackers aren't doing things for you, go write your own exploits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.