.command files

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Muncher, Nov 29, 2007.

1. macrumors 65816

Muncher

Simply put, what the hell are .command files? I've only seen them once.

They are binary executable files. Finder says they're associated with terminal. When I looked for them online, I got nothing. Does anyone know what these are?

2. macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

What in particular are you looking for?

I check the web site, but I don't recognize it and I don't care to run the video there.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

Muncher

You don't have to run the video, just download it. It's 4k - seriously, dude! It won't take a minute even on dial up. :rolleyes:

I just want to know: a) what kind of file it is, and b) how to make one myself. I can find out the second part, I just need part a first.

4. macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

No thanks - anyone else?

Edit: maybe someone on that site can assist you

5. macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Pretty sure that's just an explicit way of associating a shell script with Terminal.app in the Finder. If you look at the contents of that file, you'll see that although the majority of it is a binary application, the first six lines are a shell script that extracts that binary content to a file in /tmp, runs it and then deletes it.

Not that I'm going to run it. Video was coolish, I guess.

6. macrumors 68020

Krevnik

Yup, .command is meant to be used as shell scripts/etc for the Terminal. You can actually make unix binaries into .command files and it should run just fine.

7. macrumors 68020

pilotError

The period at the beginning of the file name just makes it a hidden file to normal terminal directory listings. Probably in Finder as well.

8. macrumors 68020

Krevnik

The files don't start with period, it is a file extension. The files in quesion would be like:

MyScript.command

The .command file could be a bash script, a perl script, an executable file, pretty much anything you can correctly execute using the exec command or calling it directly.

9. macrumors 65816

telecomm

Funny, I was just talking about .command files with someone at work today. I use them all the time when working on projects that require several files. You can write a .command file that, say, opens up the terminal, launches three documents and two apps, then closes the terminal, all activated just by double clicking on an icon.