Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deckmoney

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
I tend to Hide applications when I'm done using them. Is there anyway to make an application window come forward when I use Command+Tab to switch to the hidden application?

For example, say I have Mail.app open and I "Hide" the application. When I Command+Tab to it, the Mail application is selected (and the top menu changes to the Mail menus), but the Window Viewer isn't shown. Same happens for iTunes and many other applications.

I get the same problem when I just minimize an application to the dock.

Is there anyway around this?

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Do you mean hide or close?

I've just been trying this out (I'm on 10.4.4) and if you hide the app with Cmd-H, then when you Cmd-Tab to the application, the window will reappear. Have tried this with Mail, Safari & iTunes.

However, if you close a window with Cmd-W, then the window won't reappear when you Cmd-Tab. This makes sense to me, as hiding means that you're still using the window, you just want it out the way, whereas closing indicates that you have finished with that window (if not with the app).

Doesn't work with minimizing either.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah, command-tab does open my hidden windows when I Tab to them. Are you sure you're hiding the apps (command-H) and not closing the window (command-W)?

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
That's right. When you hide an application, and then select it, the window WILL reappear. If you minimize the program's window, it won't reappear if you select it again.

Are you sure you are doing everything right?

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
"Hide" hides the window...out of view.
"Minimize" puts a miniature version of the window into your dock.

I'm a big fan of Witch—very handy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.