Command to "choose" via terminal

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bananataffy, Dec 25, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Dec 18, 2012
    so i have this java shell that i'm running via terminal, and it's giving me an option to "choose" from option [1], [2], and [3]. It leaves me at the ":" prompt and i'm trying to select any of the options 1-3. entering "1" (without the quotes) or "[1]" doesn't do anything. copying and pasting the entire line, for example "[1] Option 1" doesn't do anything either. i'm clueless here...
  2. macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Jun 26, 2012
    Can you give a specific example or post a screen shot? Have you tried just entering what option 1-3 is?

For example, say you want to choose option 1.
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Dec 18, 2012
    it looks like this:

i've tried to choose Door 1 by entering the following (without quotes): "1", "[1]", "[1] Door 1", and "Door 1". None work.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Jun 26, 2012
    (with quotes) or
    Maybe the space is what's throwing the program off. Adding quotes or an escape character before the space might work. Other than that, I have no idea what it could be.
  5. Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    It's not a terminal issue. It's whatever the developer of the app implemented. It could be anything. A standard implementation would be to type just the number and then hit return. Clearly that didn't work though.