Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
I currently have one camera, a Sony 6400. This wasn't purchased on a whim, as I did a fair amount of research beforehand before buying it new.
The problem is I've developed far more of a hate than a love relationship with it. I've tried to love it, oh how I've tried!
It's the menu system that I really dislike, imho it appears dense and awkward in it's complexity. I've watched several system walkthrough videos, help guides etc which still didn't warm me to the camera.
In the past I've had a Nikon Coolpix990 followed by a Lumix DMC? some years later, and just loved 'em both, the latter for it's simplicity and very satisfactory results.
I'm now considering a Lumix ZS200/TZ200 (and can almost hear some here whispering "sacrilege") after the more expensive Sony 6400.
I've seen several here in Europe (the TZ200) as new for 500euros tax included (US$550).
My priorities are for an excellent, lightweight 'pocketable' PAS with a reasonable zoom in a price range up to approx US$800. Are there any others that I should be considering?

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Maybe this will help in reference to the ZS200.

FWIW once I got used to it my main complaint involves the ridiculous location of the Fn1 button.

Reactions: CooperBox

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Much appreciated, and thanks for the rapid reply! :)
I'll eventually give an update on whether I purchase or no. So far no reply from the 2 possible vendors - everything comes to a standstill here during the Aug peak holiday period.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I think your options are thin here for pocketable, decent zoom and excellent image quality.

Other than the TZ200 Lumix, I think you are talking Sony RX100 VA, VI, VII note the VA not the V - the VA has improved autofocus. There is also the Leica C-LUX which is a rebadged TZ200 except Leica have played with the colour science inside it to give a different look and feel to the images SooC.

If you are prepared to have a fixed lens, then the Ricoh GRIII and IIIx are good potentials.

Beyond those, bearing in mind I am an idiot, I would suggest a latest android or iphone is better money spent.

I am an advocate of the RX100 series and I have a couple of RX1Rs Very capable cameras, fiddly buttons but honestly, once you get your custom controls setup the way you like it, then the menus are something you can avoid for the most part. Using magfilters you can even fit filters to them now. Nisi do a square filter setup for the compact cameras too which is really good.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Since the OP was adamant in his dislike of his Sony because of the menu system in particular, and I am assuming that the older and still on the market models of the RX100 series still are being made and sold with the older menu system installed, that is why I didn't respond to this thread earlier.

I am definitely a fan and advocate, too, of Sony's RX series, the compact RX100 cameras, and the amazing RX10 IV Bridge camera (which is definitely not pocketable). Been years since I've used anything other than the RX100 series for a pocketable compact camera so I know very little about what other offerings are out there these days for P&S cameras. I agree, iPhones and Android phones have definitely pretty much taken over the P&S market.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I have the Lumix ZS100, which I believe is built on the same sensor and processor as the ZS200. I bought it so I'd have something to grab for those "just in case" times. I was looking at the ZX200 but it was out of my allowance. (At that time, Panasonic had a $300 discount on the ZS100 which is what brought it into budget.) I enjoy it a lot. The quality of the images is great. My only complaint is: It handles full light and very low light well. I haven't been thrilled with its performance in "low-ish" light, but it's not bad. I would definitely buy it again for the same purpose. I would not get it to be my primary/only camera.

Last edited:

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
I appreciate the recent other posts.:)
The two TZ200's that I'd been following have unfortunately been sold, so I'll bide my time until another 'as new' comes along.
Portability is a major consideration, and I won't even think about a smart phone as I now never carry one - having been obliged to 24/24 for over 20years. Freedom from a mobile phone and being uncontactable is just magical!

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Portability is a major consideration, and I won't even think about a smart phone as I now never carry one - having been obliged to 24/24 for over 20years. Freedom from a mobile phone and being uncontactable is just magical!

Amen my friend, you echo my sentiments exactly. I also understand cost being a factor.

Reactions: katbel

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
dc
The number one feature I would look for in a point n shoot is wether it is waterproof. That feature makes it usable in so many more ways. Not weather resistant, waterproof so you can use it around or in a swimming pool, beach, boat, rain. Waterproof cameras always seem to be built just a bit better as well.

While there are no great options, Olympus Tough 6 is clearly the only option I would look at, imho.

Any p/s that isn't waterproof is not really a take "anywhere" camera.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
The number one feature I would look for in a point n shoot is wether it is waterproof. That feature makes it usable in so many more ways. Not weather resistant, waterproof so you can use it around or in a swimming pool, beach, boat, rain. Waterproof cameras always seem to be built just a bit better as well.

While there are no great options, Olympus Tough 6 is clearly the only option I would look at, imho.

Any p/s that isn't waterproof is not really a take "anywhere" camera.
The Lumix sensor is 8.8x13.2mm whereas the Oly is 4.8x6.4mm. I have both the TG6 and the ZS200. I can assure you the detail capture with the Lumix is a significant improvement over the waterproof Oly, especially on larger monitors or as you approach 100% resolution. That plus the Oly zooms to 100mm equiv versus 360mm equiv for the Lumix.

The Lumix will consistently deliver quality 16x24 inch prints. The Oly will consistently produce good 8x10s and usually can do an 11x14.

OTOH For close-ups the Oly beats almost everything available.

Put another way when out cruising the highways the Lumix comes along. On rivers or lakes it's the Oly.

Last edited:

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Some additional good points here. Thanks!
I found the Leica C-LUX comments particulary interesting as I wasn't at all familiar with that model.
A quick check on a national site here showed several available, C-Lux 1 and 2 models, and also the later (rebadged TZ200) which is the model that most appeals to me.

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
dc
I can assure you the detail capture with the Lumix is a significant improvement over the waterproof Oly
Sony's 6400 trumps your Lumix. So why double up on what is already there. Sometimes redundant is good but sometimes it's better to have other options to cover a larger group of activities.

As far as not liking a menu system show me one that isn't complex - it just takes longer than most people expect. I touch a canon now and I'm lost - A2 through 6d a lot of that was 4 assignments a day 6 days a week

Having a couple of cameras including the Sony's rx stuff I really never find it that much easier to carry than the Sony's 6400 especially if you you are carrying a filter system with it. Those cameras while small are not really pocket-size So I stand by what I would look for in a p&s and that would be to have the go anywhere waterproof feature. Never said it wasn't a compromise, but if you don't have that feature then its a no-go.

"...On rivers or lakes it's the Oly."
If you didn't have the waterproof option for those days wouldn't that be the first thing you'd look for?

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I currently have one camera, a Sony 6400. This wasn't purchased on a whim, as I did a fair amount of research beforehand before buying it new.
The problem is I've developed far more of a hate than a love relationship with it. I've tried to love it, oh how I've tried!
It's the menu system that I really dislike, imho it appears dense and awkward in it's complexity. I've watched several system walkthrough videos, help guides etc which still didn't warm me to the camera.
In the past I've had a Nikon Coolpix990 followed by a Lumix DMC? some years later, and just loved 'em both, the latter for it's simplicity and very satisfactory results.
I'm now considering a Lumix ZS200/TZ200 (and can almost hear some here whispering "sacrilege") after the more expensive Sony 6400.
I've seen several here in Europe (the TZ200) as new for 500euros tax included (US$550).
My priorities are for an excellent, lightweight 'pocketable' PAS with a reasonable zoom in a price range up to approx US$800. Are there any others that I should be considering?

I can understand your feelings: I still have a a6400 but I upgraded to a Sony a7IV last year
I can't agree with you more about the a6400 menu but the newer Sony, confirmed with the a7IV
have a better menu, as seen in the image below.
sonymenu A7IV.jpeg

What I did with the a6400, was to build a favorite menu with my most used settings
and learning to use the FN button too
It easily brings all the most important functions at your fingertip. Now the a6400 is my pocketable one,
lighter when I travel than the a7IV

I had a Nikon Coolpix and a Lumix FZ70 and I loved more the Lumix than the Nikon because at the time the menu of the Nikon wasn't the best or at least it was easier to get what I wanted with the Lumix

I don't want to convince you to use the a6400 but maybe give it a last try
setting the menus as you would like them to be.
Good luck !

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009

I think i had great results with Lumix GX85, it can also record 4k and take excellent photos. Since then I decided to unify my equipment on Nikon platform, so now I have Z6 with quite a few lenses, but GX85 was a very good performer and can be had now for low price. It was about 500 dollars when I bought it new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.