Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2016
iPhone 12, iPad 9, or old school compass.
03E91C41-0CFD-4FDF-B89D-1A6F180276EC.jpeg

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2016
How close together do they read if you line them up together?

Actually that’s kind of the issue it seems. The magnets interfere. Moving them far enough apart, and away from selected parts of my apartment and they’re all on point. But there is enough force from the devices and from materials in the construction of the apartment that they go haywire pretty easily.

Similar to the magnetic issue with some Watch straps, obviously.

clueless88

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2020
How far away from each other do they have to be in order for them to behave normally? What parts (or specifically what electrical/electronic equipment) of your apartment generate enough emf to cause compasses (or electronic equivalent) to not show true north? How close to the devices do you have to be to affect the compasses?

Reactions: Howard2k

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2016
How far away from each other do they have to be in order for them to behave normally? What parts (or specifically what electrical/electronic equipment) of your apartment generate enough emf to cause compasses (or electronic equivalent) to not show true north? How close to the devices do you have to be to affect the compasses?

Around 30cm seems a good distance apart.

For the apartment, I can’t say for sure. It’s an old concrete construction. I’m certain it would have rebar in it but I don’t expect that it should be magnetic. But there’s something that is making the needles go haywire. I’m not sure what it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.