Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I usually have my library sorted by Artist. However, I want compilations to show up together in my library.

When I select a bunch of songs from a compilation and go to "GET INFO", there is a checkbox that asks if these files are a part of a compilation. I check the box and say "Yes." Surely this serves a role of some sort, because I can't see what the point is. :confused:

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
If you have iTunes organising your music files, it will place all those checked as compilations into YourMusicFolder/Compilations/Album/Song rather than YourMusicFolder/Artist/Album/Song. So I guess it just serves as an organisational tool..

jMc

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2001
London N8, Late-16th Century
Abstract said:
Surely this serves a role of some sort, because I can't see what the point is. :confused:

It allows you to browse compilations when in the Browse mode. There's a preference for it in the General pane of iTunes prefs. It also allows you to recognise compilations in Smart Playlists. It doesn't however affect the normal library view, unfortunately...

jx

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
Are there any hacks that would enable a featured artist to be put in, without actually making it an entirely new artist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.