Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falcon1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Georgia
What computer would fit more for a college student that is at home for the first couple years then going off? My sister is starting college next year and she wants a mac but doesn't know which would be the best idea.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
falcon1 said:
What computer would fit more for a college student that is at home for the first couple years then going off? My sister is starting college next year and she wants a mac but doesn't know which would be the best idea.

If she wants total portability - MacBook with 1GB+ of RAM

If she wants bang for her bucks - iMac

However, since she is going next year, why not wait the 4 months till MWSF - then you can order the latest and greatest in time for her starting about 2 months after the show.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
falcon1 said:

Macbooks are great and portable. But since she's staying at home (I'm guessing, commuting to school?) maybe the iMac if she doesn't plan on using her laptop while on campus.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
yeah, if she wants portability, I'd suggest the Macbook, though I'd wait a bit for Rev B since she doesn't quite need it yet. The MBs are great machines - just make sure you up the RAM to a gig (probably enough for her regular usage.. if she's doing anything heavier like Photoshop and the like, then I'd suggest more).

if she doesn't need portability, then the iMac is a better bang for your buck.. and she could go ahead and get that now and rest easy, since they were just released.

falcon1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Georgia
She going to get it sometime next year. She is going to a community school for a year maybe two and the school is 30 mins away from us then shes going to a regular 4 year school away from home.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
falcon1 said:
She going to get it sometime next year. She is going to a community school for a year maybe two and the school is 30 mins away from us then shes going to a regular 4 year school away from home.

Well, by "sometime" next year I presume "early" next year. She may be able to get whatever's released at Macworld San Francisco (January) in time for the start of Uni (February/March).

If she wants to be able to use it everywhere, get a MacBook, if not, get an iMac - this one's easy.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
like everyone else is saying, the MacBook is good for portability and the iMac is good if she's never going to take it anywhere.

briantology

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
pianoman said:
like everyone else is saying, the MacBook is good for portability and the iMac is good if she's never going to take it anywhere.

What if someone wanted both?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
briantology said:
What if someone wanted both?

Then get a brand new iMac and a second hand iBook/PowerBook. You'll have the grunt when you need it and the portability when you want it.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Chundles said:
Then get a brand new iMac and a second hand iBook/PowerBook. You'll have the grunt when you need it and the portability when you want it.
that's sorta what i have... i just ordered an imac for the grunt and still kept my PB for portable stuff...

briantology

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Chundles said:

Funny. Because that's EXACTALY what I plan on doing. 20" iMac and a 1.2GHz 12" iBook. I want a laptop, but I want it to be smaller and not have to worry about it as if it were my only comp. I think I'm going to wait till Tuesday and see if there is something else worth getting though...

BTW, do iMacs and Mac Pros BOTH fall under the "desktop" category for the educational discount? It appears as if they do, but they aren't the same and I'm pretty sure it used to be different. Does anybody know?

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
briantology said:
BTW, do iMacs and Mac Pros BOTH fall under the "desktop" category for the educational discount?
I believe they do. They certainly both fall under the edu discount.. what would it matter about what category? For purchasing limits?

briantology

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
xfiftyfour said:
I believe they do. They certainly both fall under the edu discount.. what would it matter about what category? For purchasing limits?

Yea, purchasing limits.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
If you plan to share this computer at all while it's at home definitely go for a well equipped iMac Core Duo 2. with 2 GB RAM and preferably with the 256MB VRAM upgrade.
The iMac is also a better choice if you plan to run games or partition the HD
for Windows.
It has a larger and faster 250 GB 7200RPM SATA HD, where the Macbook
comes stock with a 5400 RPM 60 GB HD.

The Macbooks are fantastic for portability, but you have limited storage without
an external HD.

If your sister is not leaving for a while yet, that actually works in your favor.
By next year the notebooks will not only be more powerful, but should run considerably cooler and have better battery life once the 45 nm Penryn chips are released and they'll come with Leopard pre-installed.

x704

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
Chundles said:

That's what I did too... I just bought a 17" "Core 2 duo" iMac and have bought a refurb iBook a year or so ago. I love both and don't intend to get rid of any....

I am sorta stocking up on stuff before I goto college full time.. not too long ago I bough a used honda civic and new tires and an iMac and I already have a iBook. Lol, now all I have to do is goto school :) .

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Strategy

Get a well equipped 20" iMac that everyone in the family can enjoy.

Next year when you head off to school, they keep the iMac and get you
a new improved MacBook or MacBook Pro. :D

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
falcon1 said:

30 mins is a good distance to have to drive. I'm sure she will probably need the resources provided by the school like the library. As a college student I started out with a desktop, but I could not be without a notebook. They really are essential for taking notes, doing research in the library, taking it to meetings for projects with classmates. It really is essential. My roommate gets along with a desktop PC (I think it's a Pentium 3 with 128 mb ram haha), but he is one of those people that really needs to be at a desk.

HarrySlone

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2006
Colorado
Being a college student, i would sugest getting a portable. For the library, meeting with groups, and general having your own computer around. If they are just writing papers and using the internet, then go for the macbook. If you do need the extra power, for photoshop or final cut or something of the like, then I would sugest going for the macbook pro. I would think the cheapest model would do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.