Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

merdesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
London
Hello,

I'm looking for advice with regards which computer monitor is best for Mac mini (current model, i5 + 2GB, which will be upgraded to 8GB - got it off the Apple UK Store website). Please note I'm on a student budget, therefore 200 GBP is the maximum I can spend.

I use my computer purely for graphics work (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign - the likes).

Screen size: I will be happy with anything between 21" and 27".

Can anyone recommend certain brand or a model?
I use 21" & gigantic-27" Macs in the studio at my uni, so I know what they can do when it comes to quality and detail of the image. I was using laptops for the last 5 years or so, therefore I'm more clued about hardware like processor, RAM, graphics cards etc. rather than the monitors themselves! so Any advice will be most appreciated.

thanks,
Monika

ps. I tried google the subject as well as searched the forum, however I didn't seem to arrive at the answer I was looking for.
pps. I was thinking of getting this Dell Ultrasharp monitor: click!

Last edited:

elliotn

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
I use my computer purely for graphics work (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign - the likes).

For graphics work, the most important feature of a monitor is an IPS panel.

The monitor in your link has an IPS panel and it's cheap too. Sounds like a good bet.

(I think Dell have quite a good returns policy - if you don't like it, they'll come and collect it, refund you, no questions asked.)

merdesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
London
I wasn't aware about the importance of ISP panel. I think I will go with this Dell monitor then, it's on sale and I just might pull off student discount on top of it (hopefully).

Thanks for your help elliotn!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.