Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This new Steam game has caught the attention of my guild. A building, sandbox, survival game set in the Conan Universe. In pre-release status, this game will be available for purchase on Jan 31, 2017. It could be good (as they say :)).

DEFEND YOUR LAND WITH AN ARMY OF SLAVES
Enslave the criminals of the exiled lands and force them to join your cause and defend your territory. Put them through the grueling Wheel of Pain to break their will, then turn them into archers, crafters, entertainers, and more.

CALL UPON THE POWER OF THE GODS
Drag the beaten bodies of your enemies back to your settlement, cut out their heart, and sacrifice it upon the altars of your god to earn their blessing. Summon impossibly huge avatars of the gods and see them crush the homes and will of your enemies.

SURVIVE THE BARBARIC WASTELAND
In the world of Conan the Barbarian, survival is more than being well-fed and hydrated. Here you must weather scouring sandstorms, save your mind from being corrupted and going insane, and fight vicious monsters from the darkest holes of the earth.

BUILD YOUR LEGACY IN A VAST, SEAMLESS WORLD
Journey through a huge, seamless world filled with danger and opportunity, exploring everything from sand dunes to towering ruins. Harvest resources to craft tools and weapons, then build everything from a small settlement to entire cities.

Conan Exiles website
System requirements, (also coming out on Xbox One):
  • OS: Windows 7 64 Bit/Windows 8 64 Bit/Windows 10 64 Bit
  • Processor: Intel Core i3 3.0 GHz or AMD equivalent
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 (2GB) or AMD equivalent
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Storage: 35 GB available space

19conan.jpg

Wait, not sure about this

This:

Conan-Exiles.jpg

Explore it

exiles_nov2016_8.jpg

Hunt it

conan-exiles-trailer-survival.jpg

But don't get eaten

12091959138l.jpg

Build it

Conan-Exiles-Screenshot.jpg

Put slaves to work

conan-exiles.jpg

I like building, and this looks cool.​

Last edited:

francisbaud

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2016
It looks a lot like a ARK / RUST / RoK genre survival game in the Conan Universe. The gameplay may end up being interesting but visually it's not that appealing imo.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Last Conan MMO was a turd. Good universe but poor execution. I have a feeling this will be the same.
I think that remains to be seen.
[doublepost=1485309275][/doublepost]
It looks a lot like a ARK / RUST / RoK genre survival game in the Conan Universe. The gameplay may end up being interesting but visually it's not that appealing imo.
I believe this has more A.I. interaction. Ark just has dinos.

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
Everything FunCom has released post-Dreamfall has been crap.
I suspect this will be the same, but of course we shall wait and see.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
The whole penis size shtick in the character creator is a red flag to me. Games that include these sorts of gimmicks are normally trying to compensate for a lack of development in other areas.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
I watched somebody on Youtube playing this, think he only done one episode.

As has been said above it is trying to rely on big knobs and BIG blood splashes, other than that it looks are not all that, it looks all to clean and mechanical to me.

Going for the young teen market I would think, not for me that's for sure.

Oooh look a big knob, giggle giggle, quick turn it off mums coming upstairs.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
After having played Conan Exiles for a week, I'll report that it's a worthy game. I'll compare it to ARK: Survival Evolved.

Both of these games are not MMOs. They reside on both official and private servers that can handle up to 50 people. Both are sandbox exploration games.

ARK has exploration, survival, and dinosaurs to fight and tame. There are no NPC people. ARK is farther advanced and closer to retail status. It has multiple official maps and is now able to generate procedural maps. The Island and The Center maps are beautiful environments offering multiple biomes. ARK offers cave and underwater exploration. When building in ARK, the player will run into frequent clipping issues. ARK has mods focused on improving building. There are no quests.

CE has the Conan Universe and is a new release in alpha. The initial interest in the game is substantial. CE has lore, instead of dinos, it has NPC native humans that can be captured and turned into slaves, but there are no quests at this time. Currently it's primarily a desert zone with a small savana and prairie areas. The long range plan for CE is to introduce more biomes and it's reported that the final size will be the same size as Skyrim or slightly larger. Regarding clipping issues, building is better than vanilla ARK, but it does not yet have mods. Each game has a different building style. Due to ARK's mods, ARK building is more advanced.

Graphics- CE uses the Unreal Engine and it looks cleaner than ARK. I don't know what graphic engine ARK uses, but I love it's jungles.

Survivability- As a new player I'll give CE the edge for being easier to to survive, but not by much. Much of this has to do with rocky terrain making it easier to spot hostile natives and critters. In CE you'd better grab that water skin at the beginning of the game. Hunger and thirst press you from the beginning.

ARK has a lot of grassy, bushy areas that are extremely dangerous for new players.

For both CE and ARK, one of the first tasks besides clothing and arming yourself is to make a bed so you'll respawn in the same area after you die. The bad thing about ARK is that without a bed, it can spawn you somewhere other than where you died. Be aware that bedrolls (not beds) in both games are one time use.

Nudity- ARK offers no nudity, new characters are in under garments. CE offers complete nudity and filters to turn it off. This is the first game I've played where nudity is built into the vanilla game. To me, it feels realistic and I'm not offended by it. When partial or no nudity is selected, the player sees all characters dressed at a minimum of under garments.

If full nudity selected, your character starts out hanging on a cross nude and you'll remain nude until you make some clothes for yourself which is a no brainer. Clothes offer protection. I'm currently on a 50 player servers with both men and women playing. Most people get themselves dressed asap. If you see a female character running around topless, it's probably a dude playing this character. ;)

More reports to come. :D
[doublepost=1486653470][/doublepost]
I watched somebody on Youtube playing this, think he only done one episode.

As has been said above it is trying to rely on big knobs and BIG blood splashes, other than that it looks are not all that, it looks all to clean and mechanical to me.

Going for the young teen market I would think, not for me that's for sure.

Oooh look a big knob, giggle giggle, quick turn it off mums coming upstairs.

If there is appeal for this, it seems to be short lived and normalized rather quickly. The game will survive or not based on it's game play mechanics, not looking at a naked character. When fighting, your character gets bloody. The blood splashes serve to provide visually clues of damage given or received. They don't bother me.
[doublepost=1486654460][/doublepost]

I'm not disputing your opinion, but looking at the graphic above with the "build it" label, why is this unappealing as compared to ARK?

Last edited:

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
I am not saying the nudity or BIG splashes bother me, I was just saying what I feel they where hanging some game appeal on these things.

These things would not stop me playing this game if I was a survival genre player, which I am not.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I am not saying the nudity or BIG splashes bother me, I was just saying what I feel they where hanging some game appeal on these things.

These things would not stop me playing this game if I was a survival genre player, which I am not.

It's possible knowing how a segment of the gamer population likes it, however, it's just one of many choices they have in making an outstanding game if it indeed becomes outsanding. IMO, it's off to a good start with a lot to be added. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Having played CE for almost a month, the first thing I'll say is that this is alpha. There is supposed to be a lot planned, not yet in the game. Currently there is some lore that consists of reading notes or glowing rocks that have messages, but there are no quests. The thing I have discovered is that building is fun, especially creative building, and building large. I am working on a river port and capitol city. I'll see how far I get and post some pics. :)

Right now in the solo game, thrall nameplates are broken until you knock one out, making it difficult to identify the different professions you may be looking for to capture, break, and place on a work station.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Going crazy trying to build a conical roof, having trouble with those inverted wedge pieces? Keep reading:

OK, guys, with your help, I've broken the code so to speak with inverted wedge pieces that are used in the roof along with normal wedge pieces and square pieces. What is interesting is that the same pattern in this floor can be used to place pieces into a conical ceiling.

Check out these images from Steam:

FD0EF1CA85EDFC5C5B1EBEBC75DF3930F9B27608

Here is a picture where an inverted wedge needs to go. Notice the support pillars in the foreground. however the way I'm describing it below you should only have to use one pillar and one square ceiling piece for supporting each inverted wedge.

F361676CD15AB38D991AA7ECA5EFEF182D7307BB

Here is where the inverted wedge has been placed.

This is an example of an inverted wedge between two normal wedge pieces. Also note in the foreground two pillars and the pieces on top that the inverted wedge actually snapped to, not the normal wedge pieces it sits between.
The issue is that the inverted wedge pieces on the conical roof won't snap into place. They only snap at their top which is the side side. It will not snap to two normal roof wedges on their sides. This appears to be a programming deficiency imo. Pillars and a ceiling tile is required to place each inverted ceiling wedge. The circular floor patterns use alternating squares and wedge (triangle pieces). When building a cone roof, I've found that it is easiest to place the regular ceiling wedges on the wall above wedges in the floor. In this way the next row in on the floor is a square ceiling piece. When you place a pillar on the square and a ceiling square on the pillar, you'll be offering your inverted wedge piece a sold aligned edge to snap to.

I've been told after it's all put together you can remove the pillars and their corresponding ceiling tile if you want to, but I've not tested this out.
icon_smile.gif

conan-exiles-circle.jpg

Check out the graphic. If this was the floor of your building, you would place two Slanted Wedge Pieces on the wall over the triangle pieces on the floor. One row in, you see a square floor piece. This is where 2 pillar are stacked and a square ceiling piece goes on top of them. The edge of the square ceiling piece supplies a flat surface to attach the inverted roof wedge between the two normal roof wedges. It works well, other than having to build pillars all over.

Regardless of the size of the building, say it is smaller than the above illustration, you still use the same principle while using the illustration for reference.

Also note this (above) is the most common pattern but another pattern is to start with the five wedge pieces in the middle, then the place squares on the outside of each wedge. The difference is you can keep running these square piece out to the edge of the floor single file and then fill in between them with a pyramid of ceiling triangle pieces.

Keep in mind that you want to practice pillar continuity. All pillars if you need them for support up through a building, should be place in the ground and then go up up up. In many cases if you have a pillar and a ceiling piece won't attach nearby, it means the pillar may not be quite in the ground. The other possibility is that the game is being glitchy. I've tried different visual angles, placed a piece next and then filled in the trouble piece or virtually go away, deselect and reslect the piece you want to place and often, it will suddenly fit where before it would not.
icon_biggrin.gif

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Once I discovered building large creatively in Conan Exiles, my view of the game changed significantly. However, I'll post to the Developer they need to have more building material choices. Building a town looks like a sea of brown among a sea of brown rock! :)

Port%20City%20of%20Tanis%203.jpg

Developing Port City of Tanis
The Building on upper right is the unfinished Grog shop and Brothel

Tanis%20Port%20authority.jpg

Tanis Port Authority

The%20Oasis%20Tanis%202.jpg

The Oasis Bungalow

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The new Conan Exiles alpine biome came out this morning. This is their first opportunity to do woods. Before this, everything was desert, rock, palm trees, and savana/prarie. In my estimation, it's perfectly awful. ARK's redwood forests are magnificent. Dark and Light's woods are much more appealing.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
May 2018- New biomes, volcano, and jungle. They have revamped PVE combat, L3 thralls now present much more of a challenge to subdue them. As before, hot naked babes and males can be your slaves, but if you are not familiar with the game, they can not be commanded to do anything risqué other than dance for you, if they are dancers. ;)

F1ED9F1D-5F99-4D21-8D23-5BDE73986F07.jpeg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Anyone currently playing this?

Until this week, the last time I played this was May 2019. I have always touted the solo game as superior due to it’s relative permanence, but to my dismay, I cranked up my solo game to find it ran for 2 minutes, then gave me a fatal error crashing to desktop. It appears there was a major update of the game that many players have been faced with fatal errors in their established solo game Saves. I’ve tried all sort of strategies, including leaving a ticket with Funcom, but it appears my solo game is kaput.

This game save represented about 3 years of off and on building with 12 significant complexes/buildings.

Now looking back on this image:

A2546E64-97E6-4C81-BBF0-A19223C5BAD6.jpeg

My Port of Tanis was a sea of brown, commented on in a previous post, and of note, this was built before the more colorful DLCs were released. There is a palace and royal residence in the distance that can’t be seen due draw distances. Therefore, I’ve started with Port of Tanis 2. Let’s see how far I get. :D

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Anyone currently playing this?

Until this week, the last time I played this was May 2019. I have always touted the solo game as superior due to it’s relative permanence, but to my dismay, I cranked up my solo game to find it ran for 2 minutes, then gave me a fatal error crashing to desktop. It appears there was a major update of the game that many players have been faced with fatal errors in their established solo game Saves. I’ve tried all sort of strategies, including leaving a ticket with Funcom, but it appears my solo game is kaput.

This game save represented about 3 years of off and on building with 12 significant complexes/buildings.

Now looking back on this image:

My Port of Tanis was a sea of brown, commented on in a previous post, and of note, this was built before the more colorful DLCs were released. There is a palace and royal residence in the distance that can’t be seen due draw distances. Therefore, I’ve started with Port of Tanis 2. Let’s see how far I get. :D

Does it occur with all mods removed ?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Does it occur with all mods removed ?
Yes it does, which appears to lean towards it being a game structure issue. I have a series of saves that were made within a day of each other in 2019, and some from 2018 and they all result in a fatal error when loaded into the game.

Of interest back then, I remember a game update that wiped player’s bases. I was left with 10 thralls floating up in the air where the building used to be. Back then, I was not including any mods that added structural content, but convenence like a pickup+ mod that allowed items and structural items to be returned to inventory, versus being destroyed as the only option in the vanilla game to move basically anything placed.

One big improvement in the game since I’ve come back are follower thralls that follow you and fight for you.

In addition while as an Admin in a solo game, you could always teleport, but on an online server without Admin, you could not, resulting in some long treks across the map. Fortunately, the friends server I am on has a teleportation mod, which is just huge because it means you can build your base where you want to in the prettiest part of the map without regard to the location of resources. Yes, I’d categorize it as a cheat, but one that adds a huge amount of convenience especially for defending against a purge assault on one of your tribes bases when they are spread out. As I type this, honestly, I don’t remember if the vanilla games has or has not any non-Admin teleportation, but I don’t remember any other than by players with admin privaledges.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Yes it does, which appears to lean towards it being a game structure issue. I have a series of saves that were made within a day of each other in 2019, and some from 2018 and they all result in a fatal error when loaded into the game.

Of interest back then, I remember a game update that wiped player’s bases. I was left with 10 thralls floating up in the air where the building used to be. Back then, I was not including any mods that added structural content, but convenence like a pickup+ mod that allowed items and structural items to be returned to inventory, versus being destroyed as the only option in the vanilla game to move basically anything placed.

One big improvement in the game since I’ve come back are follower thralls that follow you and fight for you.

In addition while as an Admin in a solo game, you could always teleport, but on an online server without Admin, you could not, resulting in some long treks across the map. Fortunately, the friends server I am on has a teleportation mod, which is just huge because it means you can build your base where you want to in the prettiest part of the map without regard to the location of resources. Yes, I’d categorize it as a cheat, but one that adds a huge amount of convenience especially for defending against a purge assault on one of your tribes bases when they are spread out. As I type this, honestly, I don’t remember if the vanilla games has or has not any non-Admin teleportation, but I don’t remember any other than by players with admin privaledges.

If you have no mods loaded, did you try to immediately re-save a game after loading ?

Then, exit the game and restart it with the new save.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If you have no mods loaded, did you try to immediately re-save a game after loading ?

Then, exit the game and restart it with the new save.
With no mods loaded and I tell it to continue, which is to load the primary save, I see progress dots and then before the scene loads in, the screen goes black and a fatal error message pops up. Now I could try to do this two times in a row (I might have but don’t remember specifically) to see if that makes any difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.