Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
I thought the Jony Ive clip was a little inside baseball, but still funny.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
So is this skit indicative if the broader publics perception of Samsungs guilt? For those defenders of the Samsung or haters of Apple, as much as this is a skit, does it not show you just how ridiculous Samsung is in its outright pilfering of Apple design?

When arguments about Samsungs guilt turn to Apple's supposed copying, that tells me you admit Samsung is guilty, but it doesn't count because you think Apple is guilty too?

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
This patent war is getting really stupid. Samsung ripped off the iPhone. So did a dozen other companies.

Samsung was making nice phones before Apple, as well as nice products across the board. I don't defend them for ripping off the iPhone design, but they were and still are making great products aside from phones. Also lets not forget that there are Samsung components in our iPhones. They are a good company who made a big mistake and called Apple's patent defense bluff and they will pay their dues and move on. Businesses do this kind of thing all the time without getting caught. The difference here is Apple is worth more than some countries and they have a lot of funds dedicated to legal so Samsung didn't get away with it.

Also Conan > All other late night.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
This patent war is getting really stupid. Samsung ripped off the iPhone. So did a dozen other companies.

Samsung was making nice phones before Apple, as well as nice products across the board. I don't defend them for ripping off the iPhone design, but they were and still are making great products aside from phones. Also lets not forget that there are Samsung components in our iPhones. They are a good company who made a big mistake and called Apple's patent defense bluff and they will pay their dues and move on. Businesses do this kind of thing all the time without getting caught. The difference here is Apple is worth more than some countries and they have a lot of funds dedicated to legal so Samsung didn't get away with it.

Also Conan > All other late night.

Which Apple stole and stuck in the phones. *snigger* oh wait, no they paid Samsung.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
yeah you would have to read the whole post to get my point though. I know the Samsung chips in the iPhone are 100% legal. I'm just trying to say that bashing Samsung as some worthless company, as many people on this forum do regularly, is kind of ironic since Apple itself uses Samsung tech to make our iPhones great.

scorwitz

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
And the point is?

I don't think we needed a lawsuit or a Conan video to know that Samsung and every other phone manufacturer has been copying the iPhone since it came out.

So what!?!? Apple invented a new way of thinking about phones and what they could be. And, honestly, if you are going to develop a phone with a touchscreen from here on out, how different can it possible be from an iPhone!? Apple should spend their time designing a better phone instead of suing everyone else out of business.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
... Also lets not forget that there are Samsung components in our iPhones. They are a good company who made a big mistake and called Apple's patent defense bluff and they will pay their dues and move on...

The division of Samsung that does that might as well be another company. It's such a large conglomerate that divisions fight over profits and don't really even act like they're part of the same thing. I remember before that 2 divisions of Sony sued each other other over something.

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
I don't think we needed a lawsuit or a Conan video to know that Samsung and every other phone manufacturer has been copying the iPhone since it came out.

So what!?!? Apple invented a new way of thinking about phones and what they could be. And, honestly, if you are going to develop a phone with a touchscreen from here on out, how different can it possible be from an iPhone!? Apple should spend their time designing a better phone instead of suing everyone else out of business.

The problem is the timing of it all: Everyone is right. Apple sank x amount of billions into R&D for the IPhone, and in the process completely upgraded the standard to which all need to strive for, or they will sink.

The outcome in the long run I think: Apple wins this suit, awards will be questionable due to the fact that what they created is now industry standard, but no doubt should be awarded something, and this will be their one time shot at any lawsuit of this type (at least pertaining to the IPhone design patents.) I think they can prove their case enough to make all this happen.

Also: A great many items will end up under FRAND because of it...some of which should well be anyway at this point. Everyone will be made an example of, to some degree, as a result of this suit, whether it be good, bad or ugly. The courts are already getting sick of seeing these types of suits get filed....there are tons, this one just carries the biggest profile. The courts will be happy to start setting precedents in order to drive down the amount of these suits.

kralnor

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
He just did a vid of what everyone's thinking. How Samsung have a chance of winning this case is beyond me.

Because you can't copyright a black rectangle and no one who could afford an iPad would be confused between the two at a store.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
The problem is the timing of it all: Everyone is right. Apple sank x amount of billions into R&D for the IPhone, and in the process completely upgraded the standard to which all need to strive for, or they will sink.

The outcome in the long run I think: Apple wins this suit, awards will be questionable due to the fact that what they created is now industry standard, but no doubt should be awarded something, and this will be their one time shot at any lawsuit of this type (at least pertaining to the IPhone design patents.) I think they can prove their case enough to make all this happen.

Also: A great many items will end up under FRAND because of it...some of which should well be anyway at this point. Everyone will be made an example of, to some degree, as a result of this suit, whether it be good, bad or ugly. The courts are already getting sick of seeing these types of suits get filed....there are tons, this one just carries the biggest profile. The courts will be happy to start setting precedents in order to drive down the amount of these suits.

Not to mention Samsung was one of the original suppliers and probably had access to early prototypes.

chatfan

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
in mah cribb yo
You should check out the video they took that table shot from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S10ZxJXonws

"experience tables"
Soon they will start using hollywood excuses for ripping off existing ideas like "reboot" and "inspired by" perhaps even "Homage" "based on a true story"
The sad truth is one of the best phone designs I have is my cordless DECT phone from Samsung.

http://di1-4.shoppingshadow.com/ima...814-260x260-0-0_Samsung+SPR+5210+SP+R5210.jpg

It is corporate culture that makes the managers scared of new ideas, I know that every time I pitch an idea for a commercial to a client that they had never seen before they didn't like it. I don't think Samsung is too lazy or incapable of innovation, they are just too scared to spend big money on something new and untested. They are the hollywood of electronics.:apple:

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Worked out with a guy who works at samsung last night. Thought he had an iPhone. Looked a little closer; it was a samsung. Last week he got all in a tizzy about how "Apple stole it all" so it doesn't matter if Samsung stole pieces, and I kept asking what exactly about the iPhone they had stolen. he just kept saying "the whole thing" over and over, never really could tell me anything I could make rational statements about.

I'm not suggesting that samsung stole the EE parts, (this guy is an EE), but come on! the phone I saw was nearly indistinguishable from an iPhone.

oh yeah, and conan rocks.

jdawgnoonan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Jefferson, WI
Funny video.

I like my Macs, my iPad, my old iPhones, and my Galaxy phone too.

There is no doubting that Apple's designs inspired Samsung and that Samsung did copy.

I still do not believe that Android (the OS) is an iOS clone or infringing....but Samsung does do their best to make their Android phones be very Apple like.

darbus69

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
I hate useless forum posts, but that is one funny skit. Ya think they should show it to the judge in the patent case-damn right!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.