Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
the black could be doing this too but maybe its too hard to notice any color change because its black

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Apple is responding to FUD. Plain and simple. They're addressing this issue because it's deliberately being blown out of proportion and the last thing they want is defamatory garbage being spread about a device they just released. It's damage-control they shouldn't have to do in the first place. And even the support article from Apple is being misunderstood completely (often deliberately, it would seem.)

Who would stand to benefit if some "iPhone problem" could be successfully ginned up in the press? Even one as far-fetched as Apple failing to do elementary product research? Apple knows all about thermal dissipation in small handheld devices, people. It's just a mistake that's very unlikely to have been made by Apple. Maybe, just maybe, besides being overblown, it's being planted by someone or some group for some reason? Follow the money. Apple's in the process of rearranging entire industries; some of the old guard have nothing left but FUD.

We've seen this same last ditch attempt being deployed with the last several iPod and iPhone models and there are plenty of users who aren't complaining about any problem at all, much less "overheating."

LEOPARDIZE

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2009
My phone is totally dead, a trip to the Apple Store in Glasgow will be my first call tomorrow morning. If they replace the phone should I then ask for a black one instead of the white one that is dead. I would have thought black would have more problems with heat than the white.
What happens with all the info I have put on my white phone?
It does concern me that I have taken out the £35 a month contract with o2 on a phone that I use outside more than inside, am I screwed?

vics43

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2006
Vancouver
iPhone heat issues...

Note also that while plugged in and charging (ie., via a car charger or wall plug) AND you have an App like Maps running, the iPhone CAN get extremely hot by virtue of the Battery being charged AND you are using power basically as fast as your charging it and that produces H-E-A-T... !

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
My phone is totally dead, a trip to the Apple Store in Glasgow will be my first call tomorrow morning. If they replace the phone should I then ask for a black one instead of the white one that is dead. I would have thought black would have more problems with heat than the white.
What happens with all the info I have put on my white phone?
It does concern me that I have taken out the £35 a month contract with o2 on a phone that I use outside more than inside, am I screwed?

You're only screwed when circumstances say you are.

You're under warranty, take the dead unit back and get a new one.

Don't believe all this FUD garbage until it happens to YOU! Besides, you're under warranty either way.

Mr. Zorg

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Note also that while plugged in and charging (ie., via a car charger or wall plug) AND you have an App like Maps running, the iPhone CAN get extremely hot by virtue of the Battery being charged AND you are using power basically as fast as your charging it and that produces H-E-A-T... !
Ya know, I've never noticed that. In fact, my iPhone is always COLD after using it in the car. Of course, I use a vent-mount kit so the AC is always blowing directly on the back of it. I *knew* there was a reason I did that! LOL

jontucker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Big issue for me. I was going to get one for GPS use as well as being my ipod and phone

It doesn't take a Genius to work out that if you are in a car that's too hot for the iPhone then it will more than likely be too hot for you too and you are quite likely to have the AC (or fan, if you people are still driving cars without AC) on.

As above, just mount the iPhone near one of the vents and your problem is solved.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Apple is responding to FUD. Plain and simple. They're addressing this issue because it's deliberately being blown out of proportion and the last thing they want is defamatory garbage being spread about a device they just released. It's damage-control they shouldn't have to do in the first place. And even the support article from Apple is being misunderstood completely (often deliberately, it would seem.)

Who would stand to benefit if some "iPhone problem" could be successfully ginned up in the press? Even one as far-fetched as Apple failing to do elementary product research? Apple knows all about thermal dissipation in small handheld devices, people. It's just a mistake that's very unlikely to have been made by Apple. Maybe, just maybe, besides being overblown, it's being planted by someone or some group for some reason? Follow the money. Apple's in the process of rearranging entire industries; some of the old guard have nothing left but FUD.

We've seen this same last ditch attempt being deployed with the last several iPod and iPhone models and there are plenty of users who aren't complaining about any problem at all, much less "overheating."

Will you ever acknowledge that Apple is not perfect.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
It doesn't take a Genius to work out that if you are in a car that's too hot for the iPhone then it will more than likely be too hot for you too and you are quite likely to have the AC (or fan, if you people are still driving cars without AC) on.

As above, just mount the iPhone near one of the vents and your problem is solved.

Indeed.

The support article acually sepcifies perfectly normal operating temeperature ranges for ANY such device.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Indeed.

The support article acually sepcifies perfectly normal operating temeperature ranges for ANY such device.

Yes, why not just tape a cold pack on the back?

People should be able to just use common sense only when using their cellphone. You shouldn't have to include extra steps to ensure a functional phone when you are using it fairly and rationally. And it's not really abusive to listen to music/tun GPS on hot day while your iPhone is plugged into a charger. My iPhone 3G can accomplish these tasks without breaking a sweat. Without making excuses for Apple, I feel bad for these people.

I just experienced a problem with OS 3.0. I've been posting onthis thread from my iPhone. Before 3.0, you could touch a text box with two fingers and move up or down to scroll up or down. Now, copy and paste interferes. I literally could not go back and edit my post abov because I could not scroll.

I agree, this is particularly annoying, but I get by.

ryanw

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
These are the same problems Apple has had on a lot of other products. You would think they would have gotten it by now. You would think that after the third iPhone they would have gotten it.

This is a perfect example of how them trying to be so 'secretive' can actually blow up on them. If they didn't thrive on being so secretive, they might actually put these in some people's hands in real world use cases before making 2+ million units and then have to work out the bugs later.

I'm not sure which I like better. Microsoft's never ending empty promises or Apple's fear to only show and talk about the products as they are available. The more I think about it, Microsoft is a double edged sword. They talk about it and get hype on stuff coming out, and then they fail far short on actually delivery. But they're always talking about the next phase and how it will fix everything, so people never really ever focus on the current situation. With Microsoft it's always POA (point of arrival), with Apple at least you can evaluate the products that are available "as is", and it's tangible.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Yup, discoloration from overheating caused me to "bring it back" and exchange my white 3GS 32GB for a black 3GS 32GB, without a squabble. The heating up seemed most prevalent during use of Maps and playing videos; much hotter than my 3G iPhone, and it seemed like I lit a lighter up in my pocket after use. Every major news station carried the overheating and discoloration story, so I had a little backup before I walked into the Apple Store...:eek::eek::eek:

Are all of you suggesting that I get a fan or cooling tool like I used for my MBAir??? Just to be perfectly clear, I had my iPhone on my pant leg and in my hand, definitely w/o direct sunlight on the iPhone whatsoever....

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Another reason why the 3GS is just a stop gap before the real next gen iPhone

The minute I saw the 3GS, I knew this wasn't it and I'd be waiting for the real next gen iPhone.

This is the equivalent of a Macbook's bump up in specs just a few months before the unibody Macbook's came out.

Plastic doesn't deal with the heat being generated by the much superior performing chipset in the 3GS.

I believe the next iPhone will adhere to Apple's Aluminum + Glass green philosophy and see the iPhone return to a metal enclosure which dissipates heat much more efficiently.

I'd say the 3GS is here until September when the new iPods are released and a true iPhone Pro replaces the 3GS.

chickenninja

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
inside my skull
this reminds me of when i overclocked my palm m130 and put little ram heatsinks in it to keep it cool. these hot iphones are economic stimulus, as there is now a market for cases that cool your phone and cars with a dashmounted AC vent for electronics. You all just wait your going to love your new hand warmer come winter. Its the solution to not being able to use gloves with the touch screen. apples done it again :)

realgenius

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Why are people trading in the white for black?

Keep the white one-- when it overheats and discolors you can easily take it back and get a new one because the damage is obvious.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
You buy an $700 dollar phone you expect it to do the things it says it can. MMS, Tethering, GPS in your Car, be an iPod. This is just another example of Apple setting APPLE guidelines, not realistic ones (like them with there base 10 counting and Helvetica font hostage taking.) Normal operating temperature for a device is expected but it needs to be written out for people who live in areas where the weather isn't within Apple's Northern California always 65 and cloudy temperature.

As for the Black or White issue and people saying I am ok because my phones black. Doesn't it worry you that discoloration of the white phones is the by product of a potential design flaw that you too may have?

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Talking to someone late last night for about 45 mins. I noticed the phone was getting very warm, so I ended the call and took off the phone.

My house was about in 65-67's, so it was pretty cold.

I do not notice any discolorations though.
You took off the phone? Was it in your car plugged into a car charger? The battery was probably discharging and recharging. You will wear out the battery quicker doing that.

Guys, this sounds like it is battery related where people are keeping the phone connected via USB to a charger of some kind and using it at the same time. This will lead to the battery heating up as you are drawing more power than USB can supply at peak moments and then constantly recharging the battery when the power is drained.

A lot of people noticed heating and battery drain while using Netshare on a 3G running iPhone 2.0 and this was happening because the iphone was streaming data via WiFi while pulling data from 3G and the power consumed was higher than the output of USB so the battery would constantly drain and then recharge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.