Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisesposito

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Looks like they are approving / rejecting in the order of the scheduled date of Talk.
Well for those of us signed up for Seattle that still haven't heard, that's good news in a way since no news isn't the same as 'no'.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
He said that both developers who had apps in the store, and developers who hadn't yet finished apps, were in attendance.
Ha ha, I was pissed. I signed up before Apple even sent out the emails and the news was subsequently announced everywhere because I saw that Michael Jurewitz mentioned it.

Then I got a rejection email (for the LA one), not even a waitlisted one. I was convinced it was because I had attended WWDC, until I found two friends where that wasn't the case with them, but then I knew a dozen others that were rejected that went to WWDC. Out of everyone I knew/knew of who applied it was a hodgepodge of developers who all were paid iPhone devs who have and haven't released anything who did or did not attend WWDC who may have been self employed or worked for a company and people who applied before or after me...and the people who got acceptance emails were really random.

I'm fairly convinced the selection is random, and if not, then it sure as hell looks random.

Buuut even though I missed out on that, I have wwdc videos now, which sort of make up for it. So I'm over it now :D

pocahontius

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
Where did you get the videos from WWDC? I am waiting for them since the WWDC because I couldn't attend it, but do not find them for download somewhere (I'm a paid Select Member and iPhone Standard Program Developer). On the WWDC Website I can only see "They will be soon available"...

Jens

proper

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2008
London
Even though I was put into the waiting list, I got my confirmation several days ago. :D

PS: It's the London event.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Where did you get the videos from WWDC? I am waiting for them since the WWDC because I couldn't attend it, but do not find them for download somewhere (I'm a paid Select Member and iPhone Standard Program Developer). On the WWDC Website I can only see "They will be soon available"...
All WWDC attendees got an email about it a couple days ago, and they are available through ADC on iTunes. I can only assume they're going to be soon available for all other paid ADC members..but afaik I don't think Select members got WWDC 2007 videos either?

pocahontius

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
That's right, but Select Members got the Foundational Sessions to 2006, and only the Leopard Sessions of 2007. So I think, we'll get parts of it. But Apple announced, that the WWDC was sold out and all videos would be available on a "pay basis"...

pocahontius

imPoddible

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
Even though I was put into the waiting list, I got my confirmation several days ago. :D

PS: It's the London event.

I registered as soon as this opened up - and London wasn't even showing full... But anyway, I just got my rejection email this morning :mad:

Oh well...:rolleyes:

imPoddible

AirGuy

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
Locals Only?

Anyone get a confirmation who was out of the area? Since NY and Chicago was full I applied to Toronto while it was still available. Wondered if they were only approving attendees who were local? :(

tsornin

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Tech Talks

I don't know if they're confirming out-of-towners. But after having been to one of the tech talks, IMHO if you aren't local, its probably not worth your time (and money) to travel to the talk. It is indeed just a "talk" - there's no hands on stuff, other than the technical q&a thing, and if you're going to get q&a help, plan on skipping one or more of the talk sessions to wait for a tech.

They've posted some sample code on the tech talks website (http://developer.apple.com/events/iphone/techtalks/) that any registered developer can download. (Click on the session name to get the sample code link.) Though at first glance it appears that a lot of the samples are the same sample programs that are on the developer website.

anmldr

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
IMHO if you aren't local, its probably not worth your time (and money) to travel to the talk. It is indeed just a "talk" - there's no hands on stuff, other than the technical q&a thing, and if you're going to get q&a help, plan on skipping one or more of the talk sessions to wait for a tech.

I did attend the one in Chicago and I am from out of town. It was very much worth the time and the money for the travel. I highly recommend attending and I want to thank Apple for having the talks. I especially want to thank the evangelists and the techs for their ideas, their talks and their help.

Linda

AirGuy

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
I did attend the one in Chicago and I am from out of town. It was very much worth the time and the money for the travel. I highly recommend attending and I want to thank Apple for having the talks. I especially want to thank the evangelists and the techs for their ideas, their talks and their help.

Linda

Thanks Linda,

So there is still some hope for me. I actually tried to get into the chicago one after it was marked full but was surprised that it was actually cheaper to fly and spend 3 days in Toronto. Im from south east US. I havent used any of the training budget for the year and was glad to hear you thought it was worth it. I also appreciate the comments from tsornin. Its nice getting alternate point of views. I just hope I hear something before hotel and flight costs change.

chrisesposito

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Confirmations (or denials) for the Seattle iPhone Tech Talk are now going out; I got mine today. I'm in. :D

Chris

Mastidon

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Don't be upset...

If you don't get invited. I was at the London one and it is a total waste of time for anybody who has spent more than 5 minutes reviewing the SDK. Such exciting topics as when do you use a toolbar vs a navigation bar.

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
If you don't get invited. I was at the London one and it is a total waste of time for anybody who has spent more than 5 minutes reviewing the SDK. Such exciting topics as when do you use a toolbar vs a navigation bar.

+1 - Total Newb's stuff (From a visitor to the London one)

kevm

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
Canada
I'm going to the Toronto Tech talk on Thursday.

Hopefully I'll get something out of it. The agenda for the North American talks looks much fuller than the European ones.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
It's not total fluff. If you've already written a full featured app (that uses multitouch, networking, animation, sound, etc.), 80% might seem like review, repeating a lot of what's on the dev center and WWDC videos. But I found 10% refreshed very useful stuff that I'd forgotten. And 10% appeared to me to be updated or new material.

The best part was talking to Apple engineers, getting their business cards, and asking a few questions that they could actually answer on the spot. Also good was making contacts with other lots of other developers, and getting some general market info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.