Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sherry127

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
whats after

okay, I have a question. I will be travelling with my ipad *4G to the us soon, I just bought this verizon micro sim card? hopefully it will work, but whats after I receive it? how will I activate it? where I can choose the prepaid plan for IPad? on verizon website or in the store (you mentioned in stores they wont help me in the prepaid option). Plzzzzz help

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
okay, I have a question. I will be travelling with my ipad *4G to the us soon, I just bought this verizon micro sim card? hopefully it will work, but whats after I receive it? how will I activate it? where I can choose the prepaid plan for IPad? on verizon website or in the store (you mentioned in stores they wont help me in the prepaid option). Plzzzzz help
If it is NOT a VERIZON iPad a Verizon SIM will not work. If you bought it overseas it is NOT a VERIZON iPad as they are only sold in the US. You need to get an AT&T SIM.

As it reads in the ORIGINAL POST in BOLD PRINT: THIS ONLY APPLIES TO THE VERIZON IPAD 3

sherry127

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
iPad

Oh really, I bought it from Canada, it is unlocked so I thought it would work with any 4g microsim. Where can I buy AT&T card online?

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Oh really, I bought it from Canada, it is unlocked so I thought it would work with any 4g microsim. Where can I buy AT&T card online?
OK, I'm confused. First of all, where are you from? The US or Canada? What is the model number of your iPad (go into settings, general, about. Get the MODEL NUMBER (not serial number).

You can get an AT&T pre-paid iPad sim at any AT&T store in the US. ATT stores are just about everywhere. You can probably get one off eBay as well.

FYI ALL iPads are "unlocked" no matter where you buy them. However an ATT (or "GSM") iPad will not work on Verizon but a Verizon iPad WILL work on ATT . An "ATT" iPad would be the same one you buy anywhere in the world. It won't be called AT&T but it is the same. The Verizon iPad is only sold by Verizon in the US.

sherry127

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
model #

I'm from canada but i'll be travelling to the US at the end of the month, Here in canada I have my plan with Telus, I was told to buy a sim card from the US to avoid roaming charges. Model #is : MD371C.

I tried buying AT&T card from ebay but I couldnt find any 4G one (all of them says IPAD/ IPAD 2 3G) and no seller would confirm if it will work with the Ipad 3rd gen- 4G. I'm just afraid to go to the US and pop in an AT&T store and then they tell me they dont know what Im talking about.

I even asked someone in the US to ask for me and he went to a radioshack store and they told him that I have to buy a card first for $100 then buy the sim card and then activate a plan (which I think its wrong and so expensive).

As well, what if I go to AT&T store and buy a sim card, how they will add a plan for me with no address in the US. I felt its easier to do it myself online when buying it online...

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thank you

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Definately an "ATT (GSM)" only model. Won't work on Verizon.

You can go into any AT&T store and buy a SIM. **MAKE SURE** you tell them you want a prepaid SIM and you do not want any plan you have to pay up front for and you only plan on using it for a week. They often try to sell you a postpaid plan. They may charge you $15 for the sim. You **should** be able to just drop it in and go into settings and setup a prepaid account with your credit card the same way you do up in CA on your provider.

I use an ATT 3G SIM in my Verizon iPad but it was "preactivated" on another iPad 2. Not sure if you buy a 3G one you will be able to activate it on the iPad itself.

sherry127

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
Thank you

Thank you so much for your prompt reply, I will do what you told me, hopefully I wont have any problems. Thanks again :)

macanut

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
I purchased data through my ipad the first month i had it. Since then the i have not been able to view my account on my ipad and have been talking with Verizon for the last two weeks. The message I get when I click on view account is this ipad already has an active subscription that cannot be managed through my ipad. And verizion wireless knows it's a prepaid account because the error message I got when I tried to set up an account under the ipad cell phone number says I must manage the account from my Ipad. Do you think getting a new micro sim will let me manage my data from my ipad?

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
I purchased data through my ipad the first month i had it. Since then the i have not been able to view my account on my ipad and have been talking with Verizon for the last two weeks. The message I get when I click on view account is this ipad already has an active subscription that cannot be managed through my ipad. And verizion wireless knows it's a prepaid account because the error message I got when I tried to set up an account under the ipad cell phone number says I must manage the account from my Ipad. Do you think getting a new micro sim will let me manage my data from my ipad?
If you canceled your account incorrectly (chose cancel now instead of cancel later) after your first month you will kill your sim. With a new sim you'd have to set up a new account but it will work. Make sure you get a micro-sim, not one that has been cut down.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I switched my SIM from my MiFi hotspot and cut it into a micro size. Place it into the new iPad and works. Online account shows iPad as device and even hotspot works flawlessly Anyway, 30 days later I get an email from VZW saying that I will be getting charged $50 in X number of days for a device that's linked to a certain phone number. Recognized the number and it's from the original micro from the iPad. I had cancelled but opted for "delete later" instead of "delete now." A call to VZW suggested that I should do a "delete now" if I want to get rid of automatic billing. They said they couldn't do anything on their end to stop it, only change the billing information. The only thing to do is "delete now" but it will render the SIM useless. And now, it has.

Would this micro SIM be able to replace the original that I had in the iPad? Also, with an adapter, could it be placed in the MiFi and done that way?

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
I used "delete later" and my account did not renew after 30 days which is how it is supposed to work. There was another step or 2 after that, maybe you missed it?
Would this micro SIM be able to replace the original that I had in the iPad?
Yes, you would have to create a new account.
Also, with an adapter, could it be placed in the MiFi and done that way?
No idea, never used one.

saudawg

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
It seems the "delete later" option is no longer available on the Verizon iPad account page. Seems only option is to cancel and kill the SIM. This seems to be misleading as we were told we could turn the data plan on and off on a monthly basis. Went to the Apple store and talked to the manager and seems a lot of Verizon iPad owners are upset. He said they have contiuing problems activating Verizon accounts, and Apple is about to lower the boom on Verizon. We'll see.......

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
It seems the "delete later" option is no longer available on the Verizon iPad account page. Seems only option is to cancel and kill the SIM. This seems to be misleading as we were told we could turn the data plan on and off on a monthly basis. Went to the Apple store and talked to the manager and seems a lot of Verizon iPad owners are upset. He said they have contiuing problems activating Verizon accounts, and Apple is about to lower the boom on Verizon. We'll see.......

Cancel later option was still available to me when I just canceled my recurring payment option on the Verizon iPad account page for my 4g.

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Just checked. Cancel Later is still an option on my Verizon iPad with a prepaid plan. Are you sure yours is a prepaid?

saudawg

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012

Correction I meant to say cancel later, not "delete later" , I just checked my Verizon account and the only option is "Cancel Plan". I have Verizon 12.1 software installed. Just got some Verizon SIM cards in the mail so I'll try that route......

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Correction I meant to say cancel later, not "delete later" , I just checked my Verizon account and the only option is "Cancel Plan". I have Verizon 12.1 software installed. Just got some Verizon SIM cards in the mail so I'll try that route......
OK, I just realized what your problem is.

You have to first select CANCEL PLAN. The next screen after cancel plan gives you the option to DELETE ACCOUNT NOW and DELETE ACCOUNT LATER. You want "LATER."

saudawg

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012

You have to first select CANCEL PLAN. The next screen after cancel plan gives you the option to DELETE ACCOUNT NOW and DELETE ACCOUNT LATER. You want "LATER."

Here are my two screens. "Delete Later" is not there.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-01 at 8.11.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-01 at 8.11.29 AM.png
    197.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Screen Shot 2012-05-01 at 8.10.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-01 at 8.10.50 AM.png
    204.5 KB · Views: 114

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL

If you truly have a PREPAID plan something is totally screwed up because I can't see how you have 1962 MB left for 18 days and 1024 MB left for 24 days. The second one would have to be 30 or more days and would start AFTER the initial month. Prepaid data can't overlap. I just renewed mine today and look at my screen print. I have 941MB left for 1 day out of the 1024 I originally purchased, then the balance of that data expires today and the renewal picks up tomorrow with the full 1 GIG for 30 days. You have 2 overlapping plans which is really strange on prepiad since there are no overages and the left over data cancels at the end of your 30 days and a new plan takes over.

Where did you buy your iPad? Did you get it from Best Buy or direct from a Verizon store? If you did one of those 2 did you let THEM activate it for you or did you do it yourself directly from the iPad settings app? Or maybe you activated it on Verizon.com instead of through the iPad settings app?

Once your current data runs out do like you said and use a new micro-sim and create a new account using a different email address.

saudawg

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
If you truly have a PREPAID plan something is totally screwed up because I can't see how you have 1962 MB left for 18 days and 1024 MB left for 24 days. The second one would have to be 30 or more days and would start AFTER the initial month. Prepaid data can't overlap. I just renewed mine today and look at my screen print. I have 941MB left for 1 day out of the 1024 I originally purchased, then the balance of that data expires today and the renewal picks up tomorrow with the full 1 GIG for 30 days. You have 2 overlapping plans which is really strange on prepiad since there are no overages and the left over data cancels at the end of your 30 days and a new plan takes over.

Where did you buy your iPad? Did you get it from Best Buy or direct from a Verizon store? If you did one of those 2 did you let THEM activate it for you or did you do it yourself directly from the iPad settings app? Or maybe you activated it on Verizon.com instead of through the iPad settings app?

Once your current data runs out do like you said and use a new micro-sim and create a new account using a different email address.

I purchased from Apple and activated account via Settings app. Before my original 2GB plan expired I renewed for the next month for the 1GB plan.The day before the 2GB plan was to expire, Verizon automatically renewed the 2 GB plan. Both Verizon and Apple say two overlapping data plans can't exist together, but they can.
Verizon said to go to a Verizon store and they will "install a new SIM for $35 and reset my iPad" No Thanks...
Sent screen shots to Apple and waiting for a reply. Apple has received numerous angry calls about confusing Verizon data plans and account activation/cancellation problems from subscribers. They plan on working with Verizon to "streamline the process." Good luck with that.....
Verizon has not charged my credit card for the overlapping plan, and I plan to cancel the whole thing a a few days before the first plan expires, then re-SIM the iPad when I want to resume service,

Thanks for the help.....

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
I purchased from Apple and activated account via Settings app. Before my original 2GB plan expired I renewed for the next month for the 1GB plan.The day before the 2GB plan was to expire, Verizon automatically renewed the 2 GB plan. Both Verizon and Apple say two overlapping data plans can't exist together, but they can.
Verizon said to go to a Verizon store and they will "install a new SIM for $35 and reset my iPad" No Thanks...
Sent screen shots to Apple and waiting for a reply. Apple has received numerous angry calls about confusing Verizon data plans and account activation/cancellation problems from subscribers. They plan on working with Verizon to "streamline the process." Good luck with that.....
Verizon has not charged my credit card for the overlapping plan, and I plan to cancel the whole thing a a few days before the first plan expires, then re-SIM the iPad when I want to resume service,

Thanks for the help.....

Wow ... that's really messed up. :eek: Hopefully the new sim will solve it for you. I can't understand why VZW is so totally f'd up. $35! Seriously? I'll bet for that $35 they would "fix you up" on a POSTPAID plan. They wouldn't sell me one (prepaid) for any $$$ which is how this whole thread started. I now have 3 micro-sims in my drawer "just in case."

I would have thought that by now, 6 weeks later, they would have resolved this.

kmbaz

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012

I have the exact same problem with the same screens as above in saudawg's post -- only a 'Delete Now' option. I'm curious if anyone can confirm the new SIM solves this problem too. My iPad is new (directly from Apple online store) and still can be returned. At this point, I'm considering AT&T. Their service has been good on our phones, but I really wanted the hotspot feature w/Verizon. Not worth this much hassle though, unless a new SIM with a new account will truly restore the Delete Later option so I can turn this off/on multiples times through the year. I don't want to have to replace SIMs every other month when I'm traveling and want to de- or /re-activate. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.