Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmula

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

"Steve is watching today's keynote from the comfort of his home and he sends his best wishes to all of you."

Live stream?

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
I don't see Jobs showing up. His presence will only serve to undermine Cook and overshadow the announcement.

Agreed, it would be a major blow to Tim Cook if Steve showed up at Tim's first major product info.

Ironically, Steve's presence would send the stock down as investors would assume that Steve's presence meant a lack of confidence in Tim's ability to show off the new iPhone.

interestedabit

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

t22design said:
I bet Cook announces iPhone 4s. Then "one more thing" is SJ announcing iPhone 5!!

Not going to happen.

1. Jobs won't be on stage, if he is there at all.
2. iPhone 4S is the only iPhone being announced.

This is 100% correct.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I don't see Jobs showing up. His presence will only serve to undermine Cook and overshadow the announcement.

I think that Jobs might be there in the background unseen for support and that Cook might take it upon himself to alter the script and request that Jobs come up to the stage and everyone give him an ovation for all the work he has done. But it won't be in the script for Jobs to do anything with the keynote.

Also, that whole 'comfort of his home' is bunk. If Jobs was that sick he wouldn't have asked to be made Chairman or gotten the post. And no way would Cook or anyone else say anything about Jobs health because now there really isn't any legal reason they have to making such comments 100% a privacy invasion. Not to mention that the company is still in the throes of the whole "Steve Jobs is Apple. When he is gone the company is over" nonsense. If they were going to say anything they would do a surprise FaceTime hook up with Steve in his office on campus just to affirm that he's not in the hospital wheezing out his last breath

Steve, Stay at home and get well.

rather erroneous statement on two levels

1. We have no proof he's under the weather at the moment so there could be no reason for him to be at home or hospital which is why he is at neither

2. the man had pancreatic cancer and a liver transplant. You never 'get well' after such things. Either of them mucks with the basic body chemistry to the point that a person has hormone issues for life, particularly related to weight and muscle mass. You will always look a half step from kicking the bucket even when you are fine. And that's just with one. With both conditions, you really will never 'get well' or look well. But you could be in excellent health for someone that had either condition and good health for a general person. And live another 40 years while all the naysayers drop dead in 10 from too much fried food or get hit by a bus next week.

If Jobs doesn't show there will be no proof that there is an issue with his health, although the blogs will gather hits by claiming in fact that is the reason. He could just be staying away so he doesn't upstage the company CEO. And to continue his campaign to show the world that he is not Apple. There are other folks in the company who are smart, creative etc.

Last edited:

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I hope that Steve is well no matter what happens.
But I believe he would like to do his final keynote with a "one more thing" bigger than iTunes Match...

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
It would be really cool if Johnny Ives charges on stage, kicks Tim Cook in the Nads, then does a victory TBaggin:cool:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I believe Steve comes out first and thanks everyone for coming and gives a short speech about how proud he is to have represented the company blah blah blah then he passes the powerpoint clicker to Tom. I think that would be classy

Steve did that with his letter of resignation. No need to do it again.

Besides he's smart enough to know that if he walks out onto that stage the blogs will be talking as much if not more about how he looks, how he's 'clearly' dying and how the company will fall apart when he's gone than whatever Tim says or what products are released. He doesn't want that and will avoid it for such a not needed moment. If he's there and saying anything it will be related to the products or previous financials. Not some ceremonial torch passing.

Assistant call Steve.

Actually the line is "Assistant FaceTime Steve Jobs at work" (so they can show that he's in his office on campus and not on a ventilator in some remote hospital)

Hitch08

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
As for Steve Jobs, Robert Scoble takes the opposite position from Reuters, claiming that he is hearing from his sources that Jobs will not be in attendance.
Quote:
I'm hearing that Steve Jobs won't be at tomorrow's press event. He's just not feeling well enough to come out in public, I hear (and yes, that makes me sad, the industry will really miss him and they will see again tomorrow why). I keep wishing that these continued rumors are wrong, but know in my head that they probably are right. That said, tomorrow will be ALL about Steve Jobs even though he probably won't be mentioned much, beyond something like "Steve is watching today's keynote from the comfort of his home and he sends his best wishes to all of you."

What do you all make about the comment "they will see again tomorrow why"? Is that a reference to the presentation being disappointing without him? Or, that the product(s) will be disappointing?

Why will the industry realize tomorrow that they really miss him?

Last edited:

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

MacRumors why all the iPhone 5 hate? I feel like every rumor of an iP5 is shot down! Dont be so pesimitistic....be Optimistic!

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Steve Jobs? FaceTime call if anything.

The baton has been passed to Tim Cook. Time for him to run with it.

If any mention is made of Steve Jobs at all, it might be just a FaceTime call.
Otherwise, Tuesday will be "The Tim Cook Show: Episode 1.1."

lewi

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2011
Have to say, it would be a bit strange for a company chairman to have a role in a product announcement. If that's to be done by a member of the board, it should definitely be the role of an executive of the company, not the chair.

In my opinion it would be a mistake for Steve Jobs to appear; it would strike me a bit of Putin vs Medvedev: showing in public that, no matter what title is given, the person wearing the trousers hasn't changed.

hval

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2010
I believe that the presentation is being given on the Apple campus rather than the normal location so that Steve J may attend. It will be easier for Steve J to be on campus with very few people knowing, and those that do know will be his own people, as will the security. If Steve J feels up to it he may then participate, but he will certainly be there at the presentation. This may be as support, but probably it is because he wants to be there, even if no one else sees him.

MacGeek50

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
Arizona
Steve's Apparence

I would like to see Steve at the Keynote tomorrow.

Stay at home and focus on your health Steve, we can wait for you :) You've trusted Tim to take the reigns, we have to trust your decision.

Get well soon!

HairyPotter

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2007
pathetic reference

"The Apple co-founder, a pancreatic cancer survivor who stepped down in August after his third medical leave, is expected to make an appearance, though a no-show by the Apple co-founder will not be a major disappointment."

Every time you guys of the press talk about Steve do you really have to mention, all the time the guy is a pancreatic cancer survivor? Instead of valorizing sensationalism and disgrace can you guys say "the guy who create a revolution on the industry", "the guy who launched the iPhone and dozens of other successful products", "the guy who saved Apple" or other attributes you can think of, instead of valorizing an illness? The press has to start valorizing news about good things instead of building a business on top of disgrace, death and illness. This is not just the case of Steve, but the press loves to see carcasses on the ground.

ade2bee

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
No Way!

There's no way he's going to be there!

I wouldn't be! ... After all they're announcing a re-boot of a 16 month old model phone when everyone is expecting an iPhone 5... Tim Cook welcome to the series 'Fall Guy' ... ha haaaaaaaa!

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

MacRumors why all the iPhone 5 hate? I feel like every rumor of an iP5 is shot down! Dont be so pesimitistic....be Optimistic!

I think it's more being realistic vs being delusional. Why would apple release 2 versions of their updated phone (a5, new camera, etc). It would be better business (and follow apples general pattern of minor yearly updates) for them to release the 4s now, charge full price and next year release a redesigned 5 with a few more substantial upgrades and charge full price again.

My best guess on why not just make the 5 now is that they are waiting for LTE to be worked out before calling the phone an iPhone 5. 5 is one of those landmark numbers they would want to make more special.

I also don't think think Jobs will be there... A FaceTime demo with him would be great though!

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I could see Cook using Assistant to call someone (voice, not FaceTime) and it being Steve who picks up and just says something nonchalant and witty as a gesture of goodwill and then lets Tim continue with the announcements. I don't think Steve wants to draw much attention away from Cook's first presentation.

jll62

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
no stream = no steve

There is no evidence to support that conclusion. There was no live stream of the iPad 2 event (after the two prior events were streamed) and yet Steve presented while on a leave of absence. If anything, no stream might suggest that he'll be there, although I truly believe he will not be making any kind of public appearance at the event.

JustinDaigle

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2011
I believe Steve comes out first and thanks everyone for coming and gives a short speech about how proud he is to have represented the company blah blah blah then he passes the powerpoint clicker to Tom. I think that would be classy

Who is Tom?

Anyway, for the reasons stated by everyone else (it'd undermine Cook), Steve won't be at the keynote. Although since I guess it won't be streaming live, it matters a little less.

As for the thing about the larger screen, why will those rumors not just die?
Listen, I want a larger-screen iPhone as much as anyone else, but not only is there no evidence of such a thing, it isn't in Apple's best interests. Apple wants people who own an iPhone to also buy an iPad. And while even if the iPhone "5" had a 4.5 inch screen, I'd still buy an iPad 3, the average consumer couldn't justify that. Screen size is the only real difference between the iPad and the iPhone, and it's imperative to keep quite a gap there so people still find reason to buy both.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Assistant, call Ste-

watch-stevie-wonder-loves-his-iphone-theres-nothing-on-iphone-you-can-do-that-i-cant-do.jpg

vie Wonder

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.