Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I bought a westinghouse 22" monitor from bestbuy on black friday for $200. The resolution on it is 1680x1050. At the time I didn't think too much of the resolution but as I'm looking at other smaller monitors it seems weird how low the resolution is for the size. For example, a sceptre monitor that a friend has can do the same resolution but is a 20" instead (This is the same as the apple 20" monitor as well). Did I do a dumb thing by buying this or how will this really hurt me? The first thing that came to mind is that I will have the same real estate as a 20", but I'm not even sure if that is true because I would be able to decrease the font size more on 22" to be similar to a screen with higher pixel density (like the apple 23")

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Wow, I saw that deal advertised... congrats on getting it!!

Yes, your 22" has the same number of pixels as most 20 inchers. Therefore your pixel density isn't as great, and the images will be physically larger (although the same resolution) as a smaller screen of the same pixel area.

I don't see any problem.

How's the picture? $200 for that monitor seems to be a damn, damn good deal (the 19" Westinghouse was retailing for $300 earlier this year).

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I think the picture is fantastic. I had it initially hooked up to a last revision g5 20" imac with mirroring turned on and once calibrated they looked almost identical. (And this is using a vga cable; my dvi cable hasn't arrived yet.) I would definitely recommend this monitor if you could find a good deal on it. It has tons of inputs: dvi, vga, component video, composite video, s video, rca sound in and outputs, and a stereo mini input. I have never seen so many inputs on a monitor before. It received excellent reviews from cnet and pc magazine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.