Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

socamx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
the pale blue dot
I have a separate admin account on my iBook, and it this account has a quirk with the mouse.

The mouse icon gets stuck on different things, like it will get stuck on the text insert icon when it should be the normal mouse icon in the Finder. Happens in all programs I use in that account, and it isn't limited to just that one frozen state. Very annoying to try and click around with the text insert when it should be the normal mouse. After awhile, not really sure what I do, it goes back to normal. Eventually it would get stuck again on something though.

Is there a way to fix this that any of you know? Like a corrupted preference file? What really confuses me is I made this admin account not too long ago so it was a fresh start, my normal account doesn't have this problem.

Revlimit Punk

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Italy
Try and repair permissions. I'm not sure it will help, but it's something you can try while we wait for some other advice.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
This happens with me all the time, but the icon changes back once I click on an option in the dialogue box that I am in at the time. I just thought it was something about OS X that needed to be fixed...

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
p0intblank said:
This happens with me all the time, but the icon changes back once I click on an option in the dialogue box that I am in at the time. I just thought it was something about OS X that needed to be fixed...

Me too. We should all submit feedback!

okay, done!

P.S. I wonder why I actually got the "Edit Post" page instead of just the form box in the thread? Muy interesante....

dylan

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2005
Happens to me all the time using fast user switching. It gets stuck on the beach ball. the only way to fix it i've found is to move the cursor over something that changes it's state (the black line on the dock works for me). i also get a little glitch whenever the cursor changes state. It a little coloured flicker...

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
Does anyone ever have the mouse cursor occassionaly jump across the screen when using the apple mouse? This happens to me sometimes and I don't know why.:confused:

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
chasemac said:
Does anyone ever have the mouse cursor occassionaly jump across the screen when using the apple mouse? This happens to me sometimes and I don't know why.:confused:

Yeah, it happened to me last night. Optical mice sometimes don't like certain colors on mousepads. That might be it- try using a different pad.

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
ingenious said:
Yeah, it happened to me last night. Optical mice sometimes don't like certain colors on mousepads. That might be it- try using a different pad.

I don't use a mousepad. What colors do they prefer?

dylan

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2005
chasemac said:

I had that happen to my old apple mouse. I realized it was because the wires inside the cords were broken from to much stress so if i moved them a certain way they would break connection.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
IanC said:
Plain black seems to work best

Yes, probably. My mousepad at home is multicolored, with blues, blacks, reds, yellows, and greens (It's from the local NBC station!).

It doesn't have to be the mousepad that's causing the jumping. It could be the color of whatever the mouse is resting on. If it's too reflective or has a lot of colors, then that could be it, too.

socamx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
the pale blue dot
After some slight experimentation, I think I may have figured out what causes it.

The times the mouse gets all weird after the fast user switch, is when I hit enter to login instead of clicking the login button. Being a laptop user I attempt any keyboard shortcut possible before having to move the mouse.

I found that if I click the button to login instead of enter, the mouse doesn't glitch out.

Only possible clue I may have for this is that the mouse disappears when typing and pressing enter to login.

dylan said:
Happens to me all the time using fast user switching.

That's what I use to switch between the users, I don't think it does this on my G5 though, same setup.

student_trap said:
i get the pointer problem too, i usually find that bringing the mouse to the bottom of the screen resets it back to normal.

That doesn't work for me in the admin account, on the rare occasions it happens on my normal account under that does work though.

mad jew said:
Do you have any theme changing apps or hacks? :)

No I don't have any hacks for themes and such installed, pretty much a stock OS X with my applications installed.

(Stupid thread subscriptions said there were no new posts...would have been back to this thread sooner.)

dylan

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2005
Do they not test Fast User switching over at Cupertino? It just seems like there are too many quirks. This and the ColorSync problem are my biggest issues with OS X....

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I sometimes get the "cursor stuck on beachball" problem, even though it's only one application that has stopped responding. Moving it over the divider in the dock always gets it unstuck. I find this utterly baffling.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
I'm experiencing this now. Did anyone ever find a solution?

EDIT: I logged out, and logged back in and the problem hasn't come back

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.