Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BroAdam

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2017
I tried using M4A by accident, through handbrake.My version in Linux does not allow me to save as an MP4 file, only M4A and another option. Was looking to see if it took an MP4, what would happen as was trying to shrink a few files to load onto a dvd. M4A was around half the size of the MP4 files, but seems to be just as good quality. So, shrunk the two files to M4A, loaded up a disc, and then as a side challenge, used my other converter program to change from M4A to MP4... and the size was the same as the original. Not sure why or how, but have tested some more, and the dvd plays on Windows fine, at least with what I have on windows, Linux sees no differences to it, and it is the same apparent quality but half the size. Thinking some of my tv series I can convert to M4A and fit the season on one disc instead of two...
Now, I am hearing I can just rename the file from M4A to MP4 afterwards and it will be fine... Wont that give play errors in Windows?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
MP4, M4V and M4A are all the same container format. It's just a convention to use M4V for files that contain video and M4A for files that only contain an audio track, so you know from the filename what's inside.

Changing the output filename alone in Handbrake cannot possibly change the encoding parameters. You must have changed some other setting as well (perhaps by clicking a different preset?).

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I tried using M4A by accident, through handbrake.My version in Linux does not allow me to save as an MP4 file, only M4A and another option. Was looking to see if it took an MP4, what would happen as was trying to shrink a few files to load onto a dvd. M4A was around half the size of the MP4 files, but seems to be just as good quality. So, shrunk the two files to M4A, loaded up a disc, and then as a side challenge, used my other converter program to change from M4A to MP4... and the size was the same as the original. Not sure why or how, but have tested some more, and the dvd plays on Windows fine, at least with what I have on windows, Linux sees no differences to it, and it is the same apparent quality but half the size. Thinking some of my tv series I can convert to M4A and fit the season on one disc instead of two...
Now, I am hearing I can just rename the file from M4A to MP4 afterwards and it will be fine... Wont that give play errors in Windows?

M4A indicates its an audio file. Like mentioned its only the container so players won't care, some probably will (topic of the thread I'm assuming).

If the file is smaller then there is more loss. Side by side comparison can be tough to tell on a single screen however if that is the largest the video will be played then it might not matter to you. However put onto a large screen the differences may become apparent.

Isn't the default a M4V?

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 10.47.59 PM.png

What version of Handbrake and Linux? I always use Handbrake in MacOS for CoreAudio but I just updated my copy in Linux to see what has changed, to find it has a much better UI than MacOS imo, which is disappointing. Being jealous of software UI in Linux....*****....

Last edited:

Maswind

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2017
While the older Apple TVs would play both MP4 & M4V files, the new Apple TV 4 (at least mine) only will play files in M4v format for some reason.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Both are mp4 files. But m4v files open in iTunes by default. You should be able to change the file extension back and forth between each with no problems. I'm not sure why mp4's are giving you an error in QT.

This is strange, because u cannot add mp4 in iTunes... Yet iTunes supports playback if a file is already in that format. Maybe its changed?..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.