Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Germany
We all know apple got rid of the hdmi port on the new macbooks , so of course I was thinking of buying an usb c cable to hdmi to plug the laptop on my tv, but it looks like there's no such thing, only usb c to hdmi adapters, am I right? I just hate dongles, is it my only choice? Should I just give it a couple of months until there's such a thing on the market or just buy a dongle? :/

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
If you read the specs you will see that it doesn't support 4k at 60 Hz :(
- Indeed. Like I said, I can't find a proper one.

From the article above it might be a technological limitation since the HDMI Alt Mode on USB-C only supports HDMI 1.4b.
But I guess it should be possible to use the DisplayPort 1.2 Alt Mode and then turn that into HDMI 2.0. But that would get clunky and expensive really quickly.

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Germany
Amended to add: There you go. USB-C to HDMI 2.0 in just the fashion I described earlier. Didn't realise it existed then, though.

But it's an adaptor, of course, not a cable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Club-3D-4K60Hz-Aktiver-Adapter/dp/B0173IB9MO/?tag=macr0e-21
So this a displayport using an USB type c port to HDMI ?

I'm going to go crazy ... Thunderbolt , USB c , displayport? :/

So a thunderbolt 3 port can work as an USB c but an USB c isn't usually a thunderbolt port .

Am I right ?

Last edited:

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Germany
- Effectively, it's a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adaptor. It's what you need, except it isn't one integrated cable like you wanted.
On the Amazon link it says it is an usb type c cable with displayport , but I thought displayport was a displayport it doesn't look like an usb type c port :'(

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
On the Amazon link it says it is an usb type c cable with displayport , but I thought displayport was a displayport it doesn't look like an usb type c port :'(
- There are different styles. It's possible you're being redirected to the German Amazon, which might not have all of them.
If that's the case, go manually to Amazon.co.uk and find it.

Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 20.20.02.png

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Germany
- There are different styles. It's possible you're being redirected to the German Amazon, which might not have all of them.
If that's the case, go manually to Amazon.co.uk and find it.

View attachment 668775

I'm not being redirected , but I'm still confused how is that adapter able to display 4k at 60 hz? It looks like it is a regular usb type to hdmi, in order for it to display 4k at 60 hz it needs to be a thunderbolt 3/ displayport to hdmi , doesnt it?

Last edited:

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I'm not being redirected , but I'm still confused how is that adapter able to display 4k at 60 hz? It looks like it is a regular usb type to hdmi, in order for it to display 4k at 60 hz it needs to be a thunderbolt 3/ displayport to hdmi , doesnt it?
- Okay. You might be confusing the USB-C plug with USB as a data transfer protocol. One end is USB-C, but the adaptor doesn't convert from a USB 3.1 signal. USB-C is capable of delivering native DisplayPort 1.2 in addition to USB 3.1, so the adaptor is, on the technical level, turning that DisplayPort 1.2 signal embedded in the USB-C port into an HDMI 2.0 signal.
And then you can connect your own HDMI 2.0 cable and be on your way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macintosh IIcx

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Germany
- Okay. You might be confusing the USB-C plug with USB as a data transfer protocol. One end is USB-C, but the adaptor doesn't convert from a USB 3.1 signal. USB-C is capable of delivering native DisplayPort 1.2 in addition to USB 3.1, so the adaptor is, on the technical level, turning that DisplayPort 1.2 signal embedded in the USB-C port into an HDMI 2.0 signal.
And then you can connect your own HDMI 2.0 cable and be on your way.
Are all usb - c ports displayport and thunderbolt 3 compatible ? Or it needs to be an special usb c port ?

I get confused because nowhere on Amazon does it mention that the adapter is displayport "compatible " :/

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Are all usb - c ports displayport and thunderbolt 3 compatible ? Or it needs to be an special usb c port ?

I get confused because nowhere on Amazon does it mention that the adapter is displayport "compatible " :/
- USB-C ports can be configured in a number of ways. On all of Apple's machine's they have DisplayPort. On the new MacBook Pros they also have Thunderbolt 3.

It does mention DisplayPort on the Amazon page:

• Compliant to VESA DisplayPortTM Alt Mode Standard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.