Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melburstein

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
I have successfully connected two external displays to a MacBook Pro with Retina, but now I want to make it better and am asking for advice. First, this is how I did it.

Connecting the TBD was easy. I connected the TB cable from the display to one of the two TB/DisplayPorts on the rMBP. Worked perfectly.

Connecting the U2410 as the second external monitor was slightly more complex; but I had addressed that issue earlier when I connected the U2410 as my only external monitor (before I purchased the TBD). I had been advised to use a "Mini DisplayPort + USB to Dual-Link DVI Adapter" from Monoprice. So I used the same cable and connected it the same way. There are two connections to the rMBP: one goes to the second of the two TB/DisplayPorts and one to a USB port. Worked perfectly.

Well, I had to play around with it a bit. I used a third party program to assure that the resolution on each device was set to the max for that device.

Here is my problem. I want to use the TBD as the docking station it was designed to be. I want the U2410 to be connected to the back of the TBD instead of having both monitors plugged into ports on the rMBP, if this is possible. Your help is appreciated.

jeffzoom91

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
Florida
You don't need third party anything.

That display does not require a dual link DVI adapter, a regular one will do. All Retina MacBooks have an HDMI port you can use as well.

You cannot plug a monitor into the back of a Thunderbolt display. You can daisy chain another Thunderbolt display.

Apple does not advertise or imply this functionality.

You are going to have to plug the second display in.

I know I know, this is the end of Apple, Tim Cook is an idiot, Apple will be gone next week.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I had been advised to use a "Mini DisplayPort + USB to Dual-Link DVI Adapter" from Monoprice.
Duff advice - you only need the more expensive dual-link adapter for 2560x1440 and above. 1920x1200 is fine on a regular single-link adapter.

You don't need third party anything.
That display does not require a dual link DVI adapter, a regular one will do. All Retina MacBooks have an HDMI port you can use as well.

Also, since the display has a DisplayPort input you could use a cheap mini-DisplayPort to full DisplayPort cable (http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-co...er-Cable/dp/B002XVYZ82/ref=pd_sim_computers_1)

You cannot plug a monitor into the back of a Thunderbolt display. You can daisy chain another Thunderbolt display.

You can however, plug another Thunderbolt peripheral - such as a disk drive or docking station - into the TB display and, provided it isn't a cheapskate device with only one TB connector - hang a second DisplayPort/DVI monitor off of that.

I know I know, this is the end of Apple, Tim Cook is an idiot, Apple will be gone next week.

Apple aren't the company they used to be - but, then again, they never were :)

melburstein

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
that display does not require a dual link DVI adapter, a regular one will do. All Retina MacBooks have an HDMI port you can use as well.

Tried the HDMI route, but the display image was not as sharp as it is with the dual link cable.

Now, I understand why my attempts to connect the U2410 to the back of the Thunderbolt failed.

Your post was very helpful to me. Thank You.

melburstein

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
Duff advice - you only need the more expensive dual-link adapter for 2560x1440 and above. 1920x1200 is fine on a regular single-link adapter.

You can however, plug another Thunderbolt peripheral - such as a disk drive or docking station - into the TB display and, provided it isn't a cheapskate device with only one TB connector - hang a second DisplayPort/DVI monitor off of that.

Ok, I'll try a single-link adapter and will post the results. I really like the idea of plugging a docking station into the TB display. And I want a good one. Do you have a recommendation.

Thank you for your advice.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Ok, I'll try a single-link adapter and will post the results. I really like the idea of plugging a docking station into the TB display. And I want a good one. Do you have a recommendation.

Not personally - but the CalDigit Thunderbolt Station seems like the only sensible choice at the moment.

However - I'm not speaking from experience here, so I'd look through the forums here (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1679180/) and find someone who's actually used it for something close to your application before parting with cash.

Oh - and one update to the HDMI suggestions: not all displays support their full resolution over HDMI. I think this is only an issue with 27" 1440p monitors but do check (try it with the rMBP's HDMI output). If you're OK, then the Caldigit ought to be perfect, since it has HDMI out - it could then go between your Mac and the TB display.

melburstein

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
Not personally - but the CalDigit Thunderbolt Station seems like the only sensible choice.
Oh - and one update to the HDMI suggestions: not all displays support their full resolution over HDMI. I think this is only an issue with 27" 1440p monitors but do check (try it with the rMBP's HDMI output). If you're OK, then the Caldigit ought to be perfect, since it has HDMI out - it could then go between your Mac and the TB display.
Thanks for the suggestion. Just hooked up a CalDigit Thunderbolt Station to my rMBP (Mid 2012) via one of the two Thunderbolt ports. I used the remaining Thunderbolt port to connect to the Apple Thunderbolt Display. Then I used an HDMI cable to connect the U2410 Display to the CalDigit.

The dual monitors work fine but the text on they U2410 is blurry and the colors are washed out. This was not the case when the U2410 was connected to the computer with a dual link DVI Cable. There are many posts about this being a known HDMI problem so I should be able to work it out.

melburstein

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
Thank You. There are so many threads on the internet about this particular problem that I could not decide which on to try first. I will try the link you have provided and will post the results for all to see.
OK. I am fairly inexperienced on a MAC, having switched from Windows. I m trying to follow these instructions and not able to get to first base. Thus far I have managed to create a file on the Desktop containing the script. I tried running "ruby patch-edid-rb" but it could not find the file, probably because it is not in my home directory. Where is my home directory and what should I name the file? I appreciate your help.

melburstein

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
OK. I am fairly inexperienced on a MAC, having switched from Windows. I m trying to follow these instructions and not able to get to first base. Thus far I have managed to create a file on the Desktop containing the script. I tried running "ruby patch-edid-rb" but it could not find the file, probably because it is not in my home directory. Where is my home directory and what should I name the file? I appreciate your help.

Never mind :) I finally got it working. Thank you Andreas Schwarz for the Script. My problem was not knowing my way around OS X Maverick. And thank you to all others, especially 'theluggage', who helped me. I have a rMBP (Mid 2012) connected via HDMI to a Dell U2410.

I hope it doesn't all go away when the next OS update appears.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.